Your bike is important to you.
Whether you use it for transportation, recreation, or both, making sure your bike stays yours requires some security precautions – one precaution, of course, is a great bike lock.
Since you’re reading this, obviously you are someone who plans ahead and you want to choose the best bike lock to secure your bike. Click here to see our #1 pick on Amazon.com
The interactive chart of bike locks below and the analysis that follows will help you decide what the best lock is for you.
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Best Bike Lock on the market
- Ultimate Bike Lock Comparison Guide and Key
- Bike Lock Name
- Lock Form
- Lock Type
- What is a Bike Lock?
- Bike Locks Buying Guide
- How to Choose the Best Bike Lock
- Ultimate Security
- Best Bike Lock Reviews
- Chain Lock: Kryptonite New York Noose 1275 Chain Bicycle Lock Review
- Cuff Lock: Master Lock 8295DPS Quantum Cuff Review
- Cable Lock: OnGuard Akita Loop Cable Lock Review
- U-Lock: Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Mini-5 Review
Top 3 Best Bike Lock on the market
Ultimate Bike Lock Comparison Guide and Key
Included in the matrix are 5 columns:
- Bike lock pictures + Bike lock brand and name/model – (click to view more details or purchase)
- Lock form – U-lock, cable lock, chain lock, or cuff
- Type of lock – key or combination
- Price – These are approximate prices on Amazon.com. These change frequently based on availability, special promotions, and more. Generally speaking: $ = under $20, $$ = $20 to $40, $$$ = $40 to $60, $$$$ = $60 to $80, $$$$$ = $80 or more
- Rating – The average user rating on Amazon.com. This can be very helpful in deciding if people are satisfied with their purchase.
Bike Lock Name
- Chain Lock
- Chain lock
- Cable only
- Cable only
- (4.8 / 5)
- (4.6 / 5)
- (4.8 / 5)
- (4.5 / 5)
- (4.7 / 5)
- (4.3 / 5)
- (4.2 / 5)
- (4.0 / 5)
- (4.3 / 5)
The chart of locks above only starts to scratch the surface of what’s available. There are so many manufacturers and models of bike lock, it would be impossible to list everything. However, our selection covers the best locks available in each category and price range.
What is a Bike Lock?
A bike lock is an essential part of bicycle security. It’s not possible to keep your bike with you at all times or to always have it in eyeshot. When you’re out and about, being able to lock down your bike increases the odds that it will still be there when you return.
Bike Locks Buying Guide
With all of the options available, there are some things to consider when purchasing a bike lock. Considering these factors will make it easier to make a selection.
The first factor to consider is the price. As with many things in life, you get what you pay for. If you’re bike is very valuable to you — either financially or emotionally — you probably shouldn’t risk it with a cheap lock. But that’s not to say that the most expensive lock is necessarily the best. As this site shows, there are many viable options that won’t break the bank.
Finding the best bike lock will also involve considering the form of the lock. A cable or chain lock can easily be carried in a backpack or wrapped around the frame of your bicycle. A U-lock, while seen as some to be more secure, can be a little bit harder to manage because of its rigid shape. Some smart manufacturers have overcome this obstacle with a frame bracket that stores the lock when it’s not in use. U-locks also tend to be less versatile than chains or cables. They work great with bike racks, but if you need to lock your bike to something larger like a telephone pole, the U-lock will need to be used alongside a cable or chain.
It’s also important to take into consideration the reputation of the manufacturer and reviews of other consumers who have used the lock. We cover all these factors on this site to help you make the right decision for your bike security needs.
Now that you have seen the options and reviewed our top picks for the best bike lock on the market, its up to you to pick what meets your needs, is in your price range, and overall meets your needs for bicycle security.
As you know, new bike locks are being created all the time by new and old manufacturers. For that reason, the comparison chart above will be updated as new bike locks need to be added to the list. Or if you feel like we missed a superior lock that needs to be included on the list, let me know in the comments below!