When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
In case that you lawn mower operates rugged and difficult to start, it might be a hindered or dirty air filter. Altering or cleaning the air filter is a significant part of annual lawn mower guide, and it’s so simple you’ll wonder why you didn’t carry out it sooner. Before learning how to change the air filter on your best push mower, you should consult about the typical kinds of air filters.
- The first kind is the disposable paper air filter. It uses mainly a folded accordion of special paper to grasp particles. In some cases, the disposable air filters can be cleaned by availing compressed air; however, they are designed to be disposed of rather than being cleaned and reused.
- The second kind is the reusable foam air filter. It might be reused or thrown away. In addition, it’s often lightly oiled before recycling to maintain contaminants from passing through the foam.
How to switch the air filter on your lawn mower?
The first significant step is to locate to the air filter on your own mower. The arrangement of the air filters often changes from mower to mower, but they’re usually placed on the side of the engine behind a metal or plastic cover and are easy-to-spot. Or you are able to check your lawn mower manual if you don’t recognize the air filter.
- Step 1 – Determine the air filter and take off cover
Commonly, the lawn mower air filter’s cover might be attached with bolts, screws, or swift-release tabs. Take a screwdriver or wrench in order to unbind the bolts or screws that keep the disposable paper air filter. Take away the cover and examine the filter. If it looks oily or dirty, it certainly needs to be altered soon.
- Step 2 – Take away your old air filter
Take away the disposable air filter from a section and pay attention how it fits. Then utilize a cloth to wipe the section clean. Next, bring the old filter along with the structure and model of your lawn mower to the store to choose the accurate part. Bear in mind that there are various types, so you need to have something to compare.
- Step 3 – Take the place of the air filter
Locate the new air filter and ensure that it’s adapted exactly like the old one. Some filters are identified with the “top” or other directions. Meanwhile, some are designed for one-way air flow, so they will not work if they’re not adjusted accurately.
- Step 4 – Attach the air filter cover again
Finally, you just attach the air filter cover gain to start operating your lawn mower. In case that you’re new in maintaining your mower, you need to learn to notice all the differences when running the lawn mower.
Ways to clean the foam air filter
In case that your push lawn mower has a foam filter, the best news is that you don’t need to replace it unless it doesn’t come clear or is torn. However, we also you show you some instructions so that you can learn to remove it from the mower. Now, take a look below!
- Firstly, you have to wash the foam air filter carefully by using mild dish soap and water. Don’t try using detergents because they will leave greasy remains that are hard-to-clean.
- Secondly, you need to dry the air filter by squeezing any excess water out of it and bolting it with paper towels or a clean cloth. Ensure that there is not more water coming out.
- Thirdly, you need to check the lawn mower manual before oiling the foam air filter because some newer products don’t have non-oiled filters. Well, you have to apply a spoonful of oil to the foam and work the foam between the fingers to allocate the oil. Take a paper tower or cloth to bolt the foam air filter and remove any excess oil. Want to keep your hands clean? Just drop the air filter and a little oil down inside a zip-top plastic bag and perform it in through the plastic.
- Finally, attach the foam air filter back in the mower and start screwing the cover back on.