If you have looked in the mirror recently and noticed that your teeth are not as white as they once were, this could be for several different reasons. If you are a coffee drinker, the type of person that likes black coffee, are definitely going to be there. People that smoke also have tainted teeth, sometimes yellow, making their smile less than favorable. Of course, as you get older, your teeth start to dull naturally, but if stains can be removed, there is always something that you can use.
Many of the teeth whitening products on the market today work very well, but there is nothing better than bleaching your teeth. However, if you dont have the money for that type of the treatment, and you would prefer using something that is much more gentle, and nearly as effective, there are many teeth whitening remedies that you can use.
Why Do Teeth Stain?
To understand why teeth become stained, you have to consider both of the categories for the stains that can occur which are called extrinsic and intrinsic stains.
Extrinsic stains are the ones that you develop on your own as a result of the food that you eat, the beverages that you drink, and the type of habits that you have. As mentioned before, drinking black coffee and smoking are top contributors to stains that appear on the outside of the teeth. You can also erode the enamel by consuming too many acidic foods and beverages. Probably the worst combination is someone that loves to smoke, drink black coffee and drink Coca-Cola throughout the day, a deadly combination so to speak for anyone that actually wants to keep their teeth white.
Intrinsic stains are those that occur as a result of affecting the underlying dentin. If you have ever taken doxycycline or tetracycline for an illness, it can actually turn your teeth brownish yellow. To prevent this from happening, and also resolve the problem, avoiding these antibiotics if possible is the key to not staining your teeth in this way.
So what can you do about extrinsic stains? Here are a few top remedies that you can start using today.
Top Five Remedies For Whitening Your Teeth
If you do not want to use crest dental strips, generic teeth whiteners at the local store, and you dont have the funding for a proper bleaching, there are five things that you can use that are relatively inexpensive and will produce very good results.
- The first is to make sure that immediately after drinking coffee or soda, brush your teeth right away. As long as you can do this very quickly, it limits the possibility of the stains becoming more permanent, and is also good for your gums.
- Baking soda is another good natural remedy because of its abrasive action. You dont want to do this too often because it can ruin the enamel on your teeth.
- Hydrogen peroxide is the next best choice, and by mixing with baking sodar, you will have a potent inexpensive solution for stained teeth.
- Some people have actually used coconut oil and apple cider vinegar, especially for nicotine stains, a common remedy used by cigar and cigarette smokers in general. If you want something acidic, you should consider using lemon peels or orange peels which can help lighten your teeth significantly. Using any of these remedies can lead to a high probability that your teeth will become much whiter.
- Using strawberries is one other natural stain remover for teeth that has been promoted on many television shows. It is the unlikely use of strawberries, mashed up into a bowl, or simply cut and applied to the teeth for several minutes. It is not actually known why this actually works. It may have to do with the acidic content. This would be a similar remedy to using lemons and oranges, but it is said to have a much higher success rate, especially for people maintaining teeth that are mildly stained and are primarily white.
The probability of one or all of these remedies working, especially quickly, is very low if you have years of stains that need to be removed. These are simply remedies that can keep your teeth white if you have mild to moderate stains, but will not work for anything that is more dramatic. You would need to consult with your dentist about getting a teeth bleaching done, or use one of the highly recommended dental strips that are available at stores across the nation.
However, once you have your teeth to a moderately white level, absent most of the stains that used to be there, you can maintain their appearance using these five remedies with a very high degree of success.