If you have an embroidery machine, you must have already become an expert in threading and stitching the fabrics. The next stage you must be planning to master is the application of applique using an embroidery machine. Applique is exciting and simple. It is an easy way to integrate creativity or apply a design on unused and unworn fabrics.
In case, if you have not left with any unused or unworn clothes, why not to shuffle the wardrobe and check the clothes you have not used in ages. It is really fun to apply when designing clothes for kids. Applique is famous among kids’ clothes and blankets. Applique can be used to create an economical and unique gift for your family and friends. It is highly used in personalized gifts to add a touch of creativity.
Applique on an Embroidery Machine Step by Step
The steps to apply applique on an embroidery machine are simple and easy to follow.
- Primarily, it is important to cut the desired quantity of the fabric. Then, iron the stabilizer to the back of the applique for a proper finish. After the desired applique design is loaded into the machine, hoop the finished thread in the machine. Use the scissors to cut out the extra applique for precision and neatness. The applique can be left for a side for now.
- The next step is to hoop the desired fabric (for instance, a kid’s T-shirt), keeping in mind that the light weight stabilizer is always useful. Then, rip down a little stabilizer which can easily go back then on. The plan is to stabilize it for every type of machine. Mark the space using a light highlighter where you want the applique to go.
- Use a self-adhesive or a tear-away type of stabilizer to put the fabric in there. Adhesive materials are only recommended for hard fabrics. Make sure that it goes by sticking the outline first. Use any color of the thread of your choice. It is recommended to choose a light color thread so that it will be visible in an entire process.
- Then carefully position the outline of the applique on the desired fabric. Immediately after applying, have a closer look at it. For precaution, just hold the fabric in order to avoid puckering. This will help in reducing the stretches in the fabric. Not only this, this will reduce the number of loops which can destroy the hold completely.
- In case, if you experience such kind of tendency in the hoop, it is recommended to integrate a thick piece fabric in the margin of every side of the long hoop when selecting the background of applique.
- Then pop the cut portion of it. After that, you might find it as a perfect place to finish the embroidery. For better results, it is always important to cut the extra fabric of applique from the tacking stitch for the fabric. The idea is to cut the extra around the boundary of the tacking stitch. It is recommended to stay cautious while cutting the stitches in order to avoid cutting so many.
- For neatness, it is recommended to cut away the extra pieces and trim it properly. Trimming is an important stage in applying the applique. Lastly, use a lint remover to get rid of the pieces.
- The end result will be desired design (applique) on the desired fabric. You can also complement it with a name or initials. By following these steps, you will receive a finished appliqué using an embroidery machine catering to your own creativity.
The designs of applique can not be resized. In case, if you want to resign the applique design, in such a case consider using a basic design of embroidery instead of applique by ignoring the primary outlines designed to provide support and hold to the applique. The steps are simple and easy to practice. You can also practice applying the same applique on different fabrics for best results.