When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
The hoverboard has been trending as one of the hottest new items for 2015 according to various online publications.
The most common name for it is a hoverboard, but it’s also referred to as a mini segway, self balancing scooter, smart board, monorover, hovertrax, airboard, hyperwalk, or balance board.
This gadget looks like a hands free segway, or mini segway board. In a way, it’s like a skate board, but you don’t have to give it a physical boost to move. Additionally, unlike skate boards, you can move facing forward instead of sideways.
There’s something so magical about watching someone glide effortlessly on a two wheel self balancing scooter. It almost looks like they’re flying instead of walking.
Learn more: How much does a hoverboard cost
Table of Contents
Self Balancing Scooter Features
A hoverboard has a solid build and it weighs around 27 pounds which means that it is quite sturdy but compact enough to be carried around.
This is a huge revolution in personal mobility and transportation.
With this self balancing board, you can move at a maximum speed of seven to eight miles per hour–which is actually probably faster than necessary for the bulk of your riding.
For comparison, an average jogging speed is around four to seven miles per hour.
With a full battery, this self balancing scooter can take you as far as 15 miles on one charge. The electric hoverboard has a fast-charging battery, taking only a couple of hours to recharge.
Steps to Learning to Ride Your Hoverboard for the First Time
Learning to ride your hoverboard is simple and very satisfying once you master it. The whole process should take only about 15-20 minutes before you feel completely comfortable on your self balancing scooter.
- Turn your device on using the power button.
- One foot at a time, gently step on the platform. For beginners, it is best to learn how to use it near a wall or another person for support.
- Stand up straight on the hoverboard and experiment with foot pressure placement. The black rubber pads on the platform work like touch-sensitive buttons that turn on the motors when given enough pressure.
- To move forward, move your weight slowly from mid-foot to the balls of your feet.
- If you are still having difficulty balancing on this mini Segway, push your feet to the edges against the rim. For most users, having their feet wide apart on the hoverboard helps them gain more control.
- To maneuver your segway board left or right, simply place more pressure forward on one of your feet.
- To stop or slow down, gently transfer the pressure to the heels of your feet.
What is the quality like on a hoverboard?
Despite its composite plastic features, a hoverboard is durable. Even if you take a few tumbles, it will not fall apart under you. Of course, this also depends on whether you buy from a reputable seller with good reviews. Here are Hoverboard Guides, we make sure to only recommend the best models of hoverboard for you to purchase.
Another good quality of this mini Segway are its non-inflatable, rubber tires. Since its tires are made of rigid rubber, you don’t have to be concerned about flat or bursting tires. A hovertrax’s tires are large enough to roll over small obstacles like twigs. However, it is important to mention that the smaller self-balancing board cannot maneuver over large bumps or cracks in the sidewalk, but the 10-inch wheel model can!
A Note About Products from China
Before you head out and buy a hoverboard, you should know that there are a number of manufacturers from China who are producing this item. It can be quite difficult to distinguish the ones with excellent quality from the ones that will easily fall apart. Check out our Buyer’s Guide for a recommendation on products with great reviews and product quality.