Our beginners’ guide for golf playing is derived more from experience of expert golfers and you would find many of these opinions quite helpful if you are new for playing golf. These tips here are outlines to make golf more enjoyable game for newcomers. It includes all the opinions that would guide you in making improvements in playing a rewarding golf game. Many of the golfers make some common mistakes that leave them discouraged and they usually end up being frustrated. By following this guide, you would be able to avoid all those common mistakes and will be able to spend a sunny day effectively golfing with your friends, family or colleagues.
Table of Contents
Basics of Playing Golf
Like all games have some rules, etiquette, proper attire and other guidelines to follow before you begin playing; same is the case with starting to play golf. First of all there is a lot of language thing to learn for golf. Before you begin to play, there are some important terminologies that you must know about. Apart from lingo, there are lots of rules and you would need to learn about all of them as they are really important.
Proper Attire and other Gears
Many of the golf courses need you to wear collared polo shirts (for men) but for women the requirements are eased up to pants, shorts or skirts. You can opt to get specifically made golf shoes but this is pretty optional. If you are likely to get one of those golf shoes, we recommend you to get plastic ones as you may find many with metal spikes but these are not permitted in many courses. If you feel that your hands are getting sweaty during play, you can wear a golf glove for extra gripping.
Other things that you would need are towels. You must bring two towels with you, one for your face to wipe out sweat and one for balls and clubs. A golf bag that has backpack straps and would stand up is better. Apart from that you would need golf balls. Being a beginner, it is recommended that you get cheapest priced balls as you would be losing many balls in the beginning. Your ball may occasionally make a divot upon landing and for that purpose you would need a divot repair tool. A ball marker or a coin can be used to mark were the golf ball is on the green. You may also get a cheap golf rangefinder and can reap out benefits of using a golf rangefinder.
Having a right approach for golf game
Having unrealistic expectations from golf game is the biggest dilemma. Many of you may have an expectation that you will be able to shoot a perfect shot in golf game with the very first try. You need to be an expert golfer for hitting a perfect game with all holes in ones or shooting near par for each hole. This would take time and practice. It could not happen overnight. Even weeks and months of play may not result in a par perfect game. Have a realistic expectation from your game and don’t get frustrated soon if you cannot succeed in some chances. Give time and efforts for practicing golf game and enjoy/love the game.
We highly recommend you to take lessons for playing golf from a professional with experience. When you watch someone in person showing you some basic tips, you will learn more. You can hire a pro in a group or can take private lessons too depending upon how much you want to spend for learning. Private ones can be expensive but initial lessons are really worth it. You can find out for lessons from one of your local courses to get the basic knowledge of game and then later you can check videos and tutorials by online coaches that are way cheaper.
Common Mistakes made by Beginners
- Not watching or aiming the ball properly: In order to hit the ball right, you need to keep a watch on the ball and aim properly without lifting up your head too early. You must have your feet and thighs lined up with shoulder too for hitting your target. It is not really easy to aim and hit correctly. Set you aim right and hold club across shoulders and check its pointing position for correct targeting.
- Don’t swing the ball too hard: You must not be exerting all your strength and energy for hitting the ball. Your swing must not be too fast or hard. In the beginning, you need to slow down your swing. Bring back club, take a breath and fully rotate and smoothly release the swing. You will be able to hit the ball more accurately with slow and focused swing.
- Be stress-free and relaxed: One of the common problems is that new golfers take their games as a matter of ego. Golf is not a game of ego; it is best played smooth and relaxed. For a good whipping action, you need to be relaxed and get your aim right. A slow swing would be much easier and accurate with your relaxed body.
- Too many hazards and a difficult beginning game: Playing with a lot of hazards and a narrow fairway is often a reason of ending up in frustration for new golfers. In the beginning when you are in the process of learning basics, play over a short course with reduced number of hazards and difficulty levels.
- Wrong tee box: You must not show off by pushing your limits while being in the stage of learning basics. Playing from pro tee boxes would prove to be frustrating and discouraging for new golf players.
It is quite common that many of the new golfers are demoralized out of frustration and anxiety for not being able to play with perfection. Be realistic and prepare yourself that there are high chances that your ball may not land properly on target but golf is a game of practice and improvement. With a proper track of your stats, with a good strategy, with time and with lots of practice, it is guaranteed that your golf game will improve over time. Keep a track of details of your game and work on areas where you need to make improvement. Do not lie to yourself regarding your scores and you will be self-satisfied. Moreover there is no harm in taking aid of a good laser rangefinder, so take advantage of using one of these range finding devices for more accurate distance determination and for game improvement.If you like this article, please rate it.