With such an expensive price tag, mini-segway owners are inclined to look for ways to protect their boards in any way they can–especially from scratches.
Hoverboards, also known as self-balancing scooters or mini-segways, have been one of the fastest trending gadgets in 2015.
There have already been a dozen or more brands to appear on the market.
While there are some alternative brands that are affordable, the most expensive scooters can reach up to $1,800 in price.
So it definitely pays to scratch-proof your smart board ahead of time.
Also see: how much is a hoverboard
The hoverboard is ultimately classified as sports equipment, designed to be used outdoors.
So it will eventually be dinged up and scratched by constant use.
And despite being relatively easy to learn to ride, first time users will also eventually fall over and crash their scooters on obstacles.
But while this is inevitable, there are things that an owner can do to prevent or protect their board against scratches and scrapes. Here are some ways that you can scratch-proof your scooter:
#1) Foam Tape
Foam tape is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a thin strip of foam with tape adhesive on one side. This tape can be applied on the surfaces of the hoverboard to protect it from bumps, scrapes, and scratches. Aside from the edges and corners of the scooter, one of the best places to apply this tape to are the wheel arches that cover each wheel on the scooter.
- Pros: Foam tape is easy to find (check your local DIY shop), easy to cut and fit whatever model you have, and also easy to apply. Best of all, foam tape is relatively inexpensive.
- Cons: While it will effectively protect your board at first, foam is not the most durable material. It can easily fall apart after a little wear and tear, or even after getting wet.
#2) Rubber Tape
Rubber tape is a roll of rubber-like material with tape adhesive on one side. Rubber tape is mostly used for insulation and protection from electricity and/or water, but it also works well in protecting hoverboards against scratches and scrapes. Rubber tape is also best applied on corners and edges of the hoverboard that get the most punishment.
- Pros: Rubber tape is also easily found in any DIY shops, but unlike foam tape, it is more durable. And because of its rubber-like properties, it can take more punishment while still providing protection to your board.
- Cons: Rubber tape is hard to remove from surfaces once it is applied. Rubber tape was not made for temporary use, so mini-Segway owners might want to think about that before applying this tape.
#3) Vinyl Decals
Vinyl Decals are colored or decorated stickers with adhesive backs that can be applied to a hoverboard to add a new layer of style and design, as well as offer some form of protection from scrapes and scratches. While you can get decal stickers at any auto shop or road side convenience store, it is best to purchase decals that are specifically made for mini-segways. Users can look online for the best decals for their devices.
- Pros: Vinyl Decals are great for owners that want to add style as well as scratch protection. It also gives users a wide variety of choices in design and colors.
- Cons: Great decals work because it looks like it is actually part of the vehicle or gadget. So while you know it’s just the decals that are damaged, it still makes your scooter look like it’s been dinged up. Also most decals are made out of thin vinyl so it may not provide much protection compared to other means.
#4) Bumper Strips
Bumper strips are rubber or plastic bands or strips that can be applied to devices, such as the mini-segway, to protect it from the hardest bumps and bangs. These strips are usually used for unicycles and other unorthodox sporting equipment, but they can also be used for self-balancing scooters. While there are some strips that come with adhesives, most strips need other adhesives to be applied to a surface.
- Pros: If you’re a very rough rider, then these strips are right for you. They are designed to protect the body of the device from the most violent bumps and crashes.
- Cons: The strips can be bulky and unwieldy when applied, especially to a small vehicle like the hoverboard. It can also be an eyesore when applied gratuitously.
#5) Custom Guards
Custom guards are custom made bumpers that can be applied to the wheel arches on your self-balancing scooter. These are actually designed to be used specifically for the hoverboard. While it works best with the same brand as the custom guard supplier, it can also be used on other brands of hoverboards. Hoverboard brands such as Scoovy provide such custom guards.
- Pros: No need to tweak or make adjustments to these strips, since they were specifically designed to be applied to parts of a self-balancing scooter.
- Cons: Since they are custom made, they have to be custom ordered. And since they are usually sold as added accessories for users that buy the board itself, purchasing them separately might cost a little extra.