Empty basements are pretty attractive by a variety of possibilities for use. There are plenty of options how to use them – as a kitchen, a gym, a home theater. What are the prospects for such a remodeling, and what should be remembered before starting to implement it?
Usually, basements are used by the owners as a storeroom for various tools or as a boiler room. But it happens that people come up with more interesting ideas about the use of Thornhill basement.
Nevertheless, it is not so easy to renovate and equip the basement. It is necessary to think in advance about the difficulties connected with it and the costs involved.
Table of Contents
Possible ideas for basement use
- Gym or room for games – the basement is the best place to put your fitness equipment because people in the house will not hear the noise the treadmills make during your workouts.
- Office – the basement is quite suitable for the office of the family firm, provided that you can make a separate entrance to it;
- Sauna – near the fitness hall it is possible to arrange a sauna. It will be a good addition to the home wellness salon;
- Cafe-club – a bar, a disco hall and even a billiard room. In underground rooms, you can easily create a really cozy atmosphere for entertainment and recreation;
- Hobby rooms – some hobbies are burdensome and require an isolated place. In the basement, you can arrange a model workshop, a room for learning to play the musical instruments, etc.
- The heating system depends on the functions the basement will have.
If you are planning to spend a long time in the basement, the temperature should be maintained at a level not lower than 20°C. If the height of the basement allows, it will be possible to think about the floor heating, for example, electrical, independent of the existing heating system.
- Ventilation is as important as heating.
If your basement doesn’t have ventilation ducts, you will need to think about installing a forced ventilation system. To do this, you will need to contact the company that will develop its project and will implement it. If it is possible, you can install the windows with ventilation valves, and if the basement is only partially buried in the ground – install wall vent valves. In the gyms as well as in kitchens, it is necessary to install fans that will make the air move.
If you are planning to have a gaming room, a hobby room, a kitchen, a fitness room or a club in the basement, lighting is very important. If there are no windows in the basement, you can use light pits or tunnel lanterns.
- Sound insulation
Additional sound insulation of walls and ceiling is useful, for example, in a home theater or recording studio. But you should note that this will mean an expensive alteration of the premises, as well as a slight reduction in their size. This is due to the fact that the soundproofing is made of mineral wool, which is fixed to a supporting frame to the walls and ceiling.
- Additional engineering systems
There are usually not too many. It will be necessary to add a few outlets in basements, especially if you plan to build a club room or a recording studio in it. Internet and television cables will also come in handy. At the same time, the kitchen or sauna cannot do without the water supply, sewage and gas supply systems. To do this, you need a project of the specialized companies. There are companies which will help you with basement remodeling in Burlington. We recommend using the services of the specialists because only they will be able to solve all your problems.
Penguin Basements Renovations (Basement Contractors)
- 906 Magnetic Dr
- North York
- M3J 2C4