For craftsmen to get the most benefits of a table saw and in order to use all the Key Features and Specifications of a Table Saw, it is important to have the table saw properly set up, aligned, adjusted, maintained and repaired properly as and when required. A dirty table top, a dull blade, a misaligned fence and miter gauge cannot keep the promise of offering an ultimate and safe ripping operation even if you have one of the best table saws in hands. Precise alignment and tuning is crucial for proper performance and where you find the need of repairing or replacement, do not compromise. Here we have outlined some basic tips for repairing a table saw irrespective of style or brand however for proper instructions according to your table saw, check and follow instructions from user manual.
Table of Contents
Tips for repair or replacements
Table saws are such workhorses that work well for years in a workshop without the need of repair or replacements. However it needs proper maintenance. At some point of time some common issues can arise in performance of your table saw and thus you need to check if solutions can be made in the form of some repair or that part needs to be replaced with a new one.
Motors are usually one of the most expensive parts in any tool. Some motors can be repaired and some may not be repaired. You may also need to replace the motor of your machine if it is completely worn out. Usually repairing or replacing the motor is less expensive than replacing the whole table saw. If you are experiencing a problem with table saw motor that it has been overheated or burnt out follow these simple steps to check and repair the problem:
- If the brushes have worn out! Check if the brushes have worn out, the new ones are not really expensive and they can be easily replaced by the user. Make sure that the power is turned off; follow the instructions on manual for brush replacement.
- If the capacitor is the problem! If the capacitor of the motor that usually lies outside the motor has failed, you can fix it by yourself by getting another one and replacing it. Capacitors are cheap devices and they can be easily replaced.
If these are not the issues or your motor is completely sealed, go to a repair technician or replace the motor if needed.
At some point of time while using your table saw you may witness a crack or ragging in your motor drive belt and you may need to repair and replace it quickly to make your table saw functional once again.
- In order to repair belt,you must turn off the power and unplug the cord. Check the brackets that secure the motor and loosen screws up with the help of a screw driver. Now carefully lift the motor and slide out the drive belt from the pulley of motor. Now slowly release motor.
- Lift the belt upward and remove it from upper pulley.
- Place the new belt over upper pulley and pull it to hold it on pulley.
- Again lift the motor upward and slip the lower part of the drive belt over pulley of the motor.
- Release the motor in order to have the belt tighten with the pulley.
- Slide in the brackets and secure with screws once again.
If you are experiencing a wobble when cutting through a piece of lumber with your table saw, then the problem lies with the table saw arbor. Follow these steps to repair the arbor:
- Check the rotations of the blade when it is rubbed against the lumber piece towards the back in order to identify and mark the arbor shaft. Once identified, loosen nut of the blade and turn it to a quarter and tight again. Now repeat the same step. If the rub stays in around same location, there is problem with arbor or otherwise you need to check blade for replacement.
- In order to repair arbor, place the flange on a surface that is flat and push the flange edge. If it rocks meaning it is not flat and you need to get one that is flat. Place it on a sand paper and move it back and forth so that it is grinded against it to become flat. Grind more if it isn’t flat completely.
- Now replace the arbor and check the performance of saw again. If you are still experiencing wobble, you may need to replace arbor flange.
A dull or completely run out blade can hinder performance of a table saw to great extent. In order to get a blade repaired or sharpened, you need to take it to a professional. However you can easily replace a new one at home. Follow these simple steps:
- Unplug the saw and wait for few minutes for saw to completely stop and power drained out.
- Remove the blade guard and loosen the nuts that are holding the blade in place.
- Remove the blade and place the new one.
- Now reinstall the blade plate and reconnect the power.
Table saws are versatile and reliable tools that offer varied benefits. However you won’t be able to reap all the benefits unless your table saw is in complete functional position and is in a perfect working order. Knowing all these procedures of maintenance and repair eases your life with table saw and you won’t need to run to a professional for minor changes and repairs of this tool.If you like this article, please rate it.