If you want to have a comfortable and contended sleep while desiring of waking up without an paining neck, you must consider the following two postures of sleeping.
- Sleeping on your Back: If this is your most preferred position of sleeping, you need to make your choice for the right pillow. Sleep with a round and puffy pillow that could support your head and neck. A round pillow would fit in with the natural curves of your neck.
- Sleeping on your Side: If this is your preferred position of sleeping, make sure not to use a very high pillow. Use a thick pillow with four to six inches of height. A very high pillow could cause strain to your neck compelling you to turn your side and reducing the comfort of your sleep.
Tips and tricks to avert Neck Pain
- Try a Feather Pillow: These pillows tend to take the shape of your neck, thus enhancing your comfort. The only problem is that the material of these pillows easily shrinks. Therefore, you need to replace it at least annually.
- Use a Memory Foam Pillow: Just like the feather pillows it is also considered ideal as it conforms to the shape of your neck. However, its manufacturers claim that along with conforming to your neck shape it is also a marvelous choice for sine alignment. Choosing from numerous brands that flourish in the market is a tedious task. You can go for a pillow from Coop Home Goods. It is made from shredded foam and is the ideal choice for people sleeping on their sides.
- Choose the Right Height of the pillow: An ideal height of the pillow is essential if you want to wake up ache free. It shouldn’t be too low or too high. Along with that it should also not be too stiff.
- Sleep with a Straight Spine: This is very important if you are a side sleeper. You must place a pillow that is higher under your neck as compared to one that is under your head.
- Use a Horseshoe Shaped Pillow: If you are on a plane, in a car or watching TV, use this pillow for extra support. But you need to make sure that the side is not too broad to force your head forward.
- Avoid sleeping on your Stomach: Avoid this sleeping position how much you can as this will result in you having a painful back. Along with that your neck will not be supported. Instead sleep over your back or on the side with the right choice of pillows and support.
It’s about many things besides Sleeping Position
While your sleeping position determines and reduces the neck aches, there are numerous other factors that affect your body and mind. How relaxed you are when you sleep can be very influential in determining or reducing your neck pain. It has been found in a research conducted on 4,140 participants that musco-skeletal pain which includes neck aches is more common problem in people who practice wrong sleeping positions.
Some of the other difficulties that can lead to neck aches comprise of having a difficult time falling asleep as this reduces the sleeping time and also causes stress, having a sleep for a short duration, waking up from sleep and difficulty in sleeping again and waking up at frequent intervals in your sleep. Your muscles can’t relax when you possess a disturbed sleep. This can result into various other problems like neck pain and restlessness. Distortions in your sleep will cause you to turn frequently affecting your body and causing pains.If you like this article, please rate it.