Sleep is incredibly important to our overall health. There are always new studies coming out about how necessary sleep is to living a long and healthy life. Getting enough sleep can be credited with reducing the risk of stress based ailments, such as high blood pressure and risk of heart attack. Sleep can also help keep your metabolism up, which will help keep your at a healthy weight. Getting enough sleep also has a huge impact on your mood. It is proven that those who lack the proper amount of sleep are prone to irritability and other negative moods.
In order to get the right amount of sleep, you will need to buy the right mattress for you. However, going into a store to buy a mattress, or even looking online, can be such an incredibly overwhelming experience. There are so many varieties to choose from. Then once you make one choice, there are still a lot of different options to choose from. As a result, you will need to have a plan when going into a place to purchase a new mattress.
As a result, you will need to consider some things before buying that new mattress. These considerations will be the best tool in helping your pick the right mattress to suit your very personal needs. Everyone has different wants and needs when picking out a mattress, therefore it is important to really consider what you are looking for and what you want.
Be warned: sometimes the type of bed that we may want is not necessarily the right mattress for us. Remember, people will spend an average of one third of their lives in bed.
Table of Contents
- The Top 10 Things to Consider Before Buying a New Mattress
- 1. Size
- 2. Type of Mattress
- Innerspring Mattress
- Hybrid Mattress
- Memory Foam Mattress
- Air Mattress
- 3. Comfort Level
- 4. How You Sleep
- 5. Partner
- 6. Weight
- 7. Chronic Issues
- 8. Warranty
- 9. Money-Back Guarantee
- 10. Budget
- Other Tips for Buying a Mattress
- 1. Try It Out
- 2. Buy a Mattress Pad
- 3. Reputable Vendor
- 4. Be Careful of Labels
- 5. Read Reviews Beforehand
- 6. Mattress Disposal
The Top 10 Things to Consider Before Buying a New Mattress
There are several things that you will need to consider before you purchase a new mattress. It is important to take each item in consideration. This will help improve your experience when it comes to picking out your mattress in a sea of options.
This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is definitely an important consideration to think about when purchasing the mattress.
- If you looking to buy a mattress for a younger kid to an older kid, than choosing a twin bed is perfect for those groups of people.
- A full size bed is a great option for a guest room or if you are looking for a mattress for a tween or teenager.
- A queen bed is great for a larger option, being only different than a king because it is just as long as a king but takes up less space, if you do not have a lot of room.
- King beds are a large option, perfect for a master bedroom or if you need a bit more space than a queen offers.
- A California King is longer than a king size mattress, but is a slimmer option.
You should also consider if your mattress can fit through the doorways, when you are thinking about the size of your mattress.
2. Type of Mattress
You thought you had enough to think about when you were deciding on the size of mattress that you would need. You will also have to think about what type of mattress that you need. Here are the different types of mattresses that you have to choose from:
An innerspring mattress has a steel coil support system. There are different types of spring options to choose from. Some mattresses will have springs connected into a single unit. Some mattresses have these coils individually wrapped and pocketed. The amount of coils and the types of coils are also other variations to consider when choosing the type of mattress.
Different innerspring mattresses have a variety of coverings; some have pillow tops and other materials and upholstery. These can completely change the feel of each mattress. For instance, a mattress with individually wrapped coils will help make the mattress resistant to a person feeling their bedmate tossing and turning in their sleep.
Do you really want a standard mattress with the benefits of a memory foam mattress? The hybrid mattress is a perfect option for you. The hybrid mattress has the steel coil support system that is found in an innerspring mattress; however they also have different types of foam integrated into this design. This includes memory foam, standard polyurethane foam, and latex foam, as well as offering gel-foam options for users.
A waterbed is a bed that uses a water chamber for the support system. Waterbeds come with either a soft side or hard side. A hard-sided bed has the water chamber enclosed in a wooden frame. A soft-sided bed has the water chamber enclosed in a rigid foam rectangular frame, which is enclosed inside of a fabric casing.
The water chambers also come in types. The water chamber can be a “free flow” variety, which means that the water flows freely through the mattress. There is also the “waveless” water chamber variety that helps tame the flow of the mattress to create a smoother setting to sleep on.
Memory Foam Mattress
A memory foam mattress is a mattress that is also referred to as a “viscoelastic” foam mattress, is a mattress that consists of high density polyurethane foam as its support system. This type of foam has the unique ability to contour to your individualized body shape, in order to cradle every curve of your body to provide the support it needs. It does so by using the body heat to form the mattress to fit your frame.
Additionally, this type of mattress is synthetic and does not attract bacteria, dust-mites, mold and other allergens. That makes this mattress perfect for people who need a hypo-allergenic option.
Air beds are a customizable bed. The air mattress is adjustable because it has an air chamber as a support system. This is different than the air mattress that you think about when you go camping. An air mattress used in the home is covered by padding and other upholstery that can include a variety in the types of foams for maximum comfort.
An air mattress can allow the user to adjust the firmness, and often have different settings for each side so both partners can have their own customizable experience. Upon first look, the air mattress will look like a standard innerspring mattress.
3. Comfort Level
Often times the firmness of a mattress is a personal preference. Some prefer a softer mattress that they can sink right into. Other people prefer something that is more firm. This will take some trial and error when trying out mattresses to decide what is a right fit for you or both you and your partner. There are a few different types of comfort levels to choose from: firm, cushion firm, plus, pillow top, ultra-pillow top.
- The firmest mattress may feel like you are sleeping on a carpeted floor.
- A cushion firm mattress can feel as though you are sleeping outside on the grass, where you get a little give but it is mostly firm.
- A plush mattress feels like you are sleeping on a pile of blankets.
- A pillow top mattress feels like you are sleeping on a pile of pillows.
- An ultra-pillow top is often described as feeling like you are “sleeping on clouds”.
4. How You Sleep
This is one of the most important considerations when choosing a mattress. A back sleeper, you can base this decision solely on comfort and personal preference. A stomach sleeper may consider a firmer option is probably the best choice.
Side sleepers need a softer option in order to conform to their body, as their curves need to be supported. If not, side sleepers will have discomfort when they wake up and may even have difficulty sleeping.
Another huge consideration when buying a mattress is whether or not you have a partner that shares your bed. Buying a bed by yourself can be more straight-forward, as you only need to consider your preferences and needs. When you are shopping with someone else, you will need to also consider their needs. This may lead to compromising over decisions and finding a middle ground that you are both happy with. This may also lead you to buying an air mattress option that allows each person to have their own customized level of comfort.
Your weight is another factor to consider. Mattress options that are foam may not provide the support that your body needs if you weigh over 250lbs, which means you will not get a quality night of sleep. This means options are limited to innerspring or air mattress options.
7. Chronic Issues
Do you suffer from chronic pain? Certain mattress types are great for helping people with a variety of different ailments. For side sleepers, options like a memory foam mattress can help you relieve neck, back, shoulder, and joint pains. If you frequently suffer from lower back pain, you will need a different comfort level.
Warranties can be huge a factor when purchasing a new mattress. You should look for a mattress with 10-year full replacement warranty, or you can find a non-prorated warranty. Any quality mattress from a reputable vendor will offer a good warranty.
9. Money-Back Guarantee
A money-back guarantee can also be an important consideration when it comes to purchasing a mattress. Say you have your eye on a memory foam mattress. Memory foam mattresses are not great when you test them in store, so often people take a chance on it and use it.
Some places offer a 30 day money-back guarantee where you can return your mattress if you are not happy with it. If you do not like it within the first 30 days, you are likely never going to like it, so save yourself the trouble and send it back.
This can be a top priority when you are about to buy a new mattress. Unless you are incredibly rich and do not need to keep track of your money, you likely have a budget that you need to stick to when you buy one. Depending on the budget, that can limit the options that you have to choose from. Stick to your budget though, and even try some negotiation skills to get something you want within your price range.
Other Tips for Buying a Mattress
There are some tips to help you when you go to purchase a mattress. These tips can help you have a more positive experience when shopping for a mattress.
1. Try It Out
A big mistake when purchasing a mattress could be not trying it out first. It is recommended that you try out a mattress for around 10 to 15 minutes before deciding. Do not feel pressured by the salesperson to take less time. This is a piece of furniture that you will be spending a lot of time and money on, and you want to make sure that you get it right.
2. Buy a Mattress Pad
Mattress pads can be a great investment to protecting your big investment. Mattress pads are made in order to absorb sweat and other stains from getting on your mattress. Any stain that gets on the mattress will void the warranty.
3. Reputable Vendor
When you purchase a mattress, it is recommended that you go to a specialized store to purchase one. The salespeople are generally more skilled and have specialized training so that you can really get some expert advice on mattress buying. They understand the process of buying a mattress, and can give great tips based on what you are looking for and personal preferences.
4. Be Careful of Labels
There is another reason that it is important to try out each mattress you are thinking about buying. Each brand has a different definition on what is firm, soft, etc. If you decide that you like one brand’s medium firm, you may find another brand’s firm is equivalent to that.
5. Read Reviews Beforehand
Before you even step foot inside of a store, you can do your own research online to check the various types of mattresses. Carefully read the customer reviews on the products, at least a few pages worth. This can give you a true feel of the mattress and any quirks that may come with. This also will let you know if that particular mattress is a good option for you or if there are any comment defects in it. This is especially true if you choose to purchase the mattress online. Consumer reviews can often be very descriptive of their experience with the mattress, and you can get a really clear view of it.
6. Mattress Disposal
After you decide to purchase a new mattress, you will need to think about what to do with your old mattress. You should first check the company that you are purchasing your mattress from. They sometimes offer free take away or mattress take away services for a cost. You can also look into options of locations to donate your mattress and box spring. If you are going to throw out your mattress, you will need to check your local laws about disposal. Some require you to take them to the dump; some locations may pick them up. You could also try to put your mattress out on the curbside to see if someone driving by will pick it up.
- It is important when you are considering purchasing a mattress that you carefully take all of these considerations in mind when deciding on your purchase. This can be one of your most important furniture purchases that you will need to invest in. This is as a result of how incredibly important getting the right amount of sleep is to your overall health. This decision can greatly improve your quality of life if you make the right decision, or make you regret the purchase if you do not. This means you really need to think about all of these considerations quite carefully.
- When you think about your health being at stake, it makes purchasing the right mattress more important than previously thought. It is now realized how important getting a good night’s sleep is to your overall health. Sleep helps reduce the likelihood of obesity, heart attack and stroke. Sleep also helps to increase your metabolism, energy, and helps your immune system properly fight off illness. A lack of sleep can cause you to lose focus as a result of chronic fatigue, cause an increase in headaches, and can negatively impact your sleep.
- It also helps to think about what your options are when you have a partner to think about. An option like an air mattress can be ideal as a result of each person picking their own individualized purchase. However, this option may be more expensive than you can reasonably afford. A memory foam mattress is also a great choice for couples, as there is no springs in that type of mattress. This means that you will not feel or hear your partner tossing and turning in their sleep, thus disrupting yours. This also means that the mattress will conform to each of your individual body shape, creating a personal and comfortable sleep that is as unique as you are.
- Most importantly, when it comes to mattresses, the price does not automatically make the better mattress. What makes a good mattress is how you feel when laying down on it. How comfortable you are when you are resting. How happy it makes you being on that mattress. There is no price for that, and that is obtainable within any price range.
- Another point to make is that you should upgrade your box spring when you purchase a new mattress. Box springs can wear out just like a mattress can. You do not want to put a new mattress on an old box spring. This will give the mattress a weak foundation, causing your mattress to sag after a short amount of time. Look for a box spring that is suitable for your mattress. Or, if you have a platform bed, you can forgo the box spring all together. Platform beds often give a very sturdy foundation for mattresses, making box springs unnecessary. The place where you buy your mattress from can help you pick the right box spring for you, or let you know if one is really necessary. Just remember that the box spring is often just as important as the mattress itself. The box spring provides the mattress with a solid foundation. This foundation can dictate how long your mattress will last and can help ensure that you get a great night of sleep.
There are so many things to consider before you buy yourself a new mattress. It can be overwhelming, especially if this is your first time. You should do yourself a favor and go in armed with all the information you need to make an informed decision. If you go in knowing exactly what you are looking for, what you need, and the budget you are willing to spend, the salesperson will know that you are informed and be less likely to take advantage of you by trying to upsell a particular mattress. Never let a salesperson talk you into a mattress that you do not feel comfortable spending the money on or one that you do not find comfortable. You are ultimately the one who is going to be sleeping on it, and you do not want to walk away with any buyer’s remorse.
Now that you understand that extreme importance in picking the right mattress, you can go to the store or online market place of your choosing with confidence in your ability to make this decision. There are a few things to remember. You should absolutely try the mattress out for up to 15 minutes. This really will help give you the best feel for the mattress. You should pick a mattress that is comfortable and meets all your needs so that you can enjoy it for a long time and wake up pain free and refreshed every morning.