When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Personal skin care products and cosmetics may contain harmful chemicals that can be dangerous to your health. It is found out that every product contains small amount of these harmful chemicals and using it multiple times on a daily basis may put you at risk for developing skin cancer and other skin diseases. It is therefore important for you to know the safe and harmful ingredients that are present in your favorite skin care products.
Table of Contents
- 1. What Are Some Of The Harmful Chemicals Found In Different Skin Care Products?
- 2. What Are Some Of The Safe And Effective Ingredients Found In Different Skin Care Products?
- 3. Why Is It Important To Check The Ingredients Of Skin Care Products?
- Here are some of the reminders you need to take into consideration when buying skin care products
1. What Are Some Of The Harmful Chemicals Found In Different Skin Care Products?
These chemicals serve as preservatives to prevent bacteria, fungus and molds from growing on cosmetic products. They have different forms including methylparaben, ethylparaben and butylparaben. They are associated with the increased risk of breast cancer in females. This is because they have been discovered to present in biopsy sample of breast tumors.
Parabens can be found in different products like body wash, makeup, shampoo and deodorants.
Phtalates are used to increase the flexibility of plastic products, and they are also found in skin care products like perfumes, nail polish and lotions. They can cause early development of breast for girls as well breast cancer. Most products do not include this on their ingredients list.
This is also used to prevent bacterial growth in cosmetic products. According to the International Agency for Research on Carcinogens, this chemical should be avoided because it is a human carcinogen. It can cause different forms of cancer. It may also harm the immune system. It is found mostly in nail polish, shampoos, eye shadows and conditioners.
2. What Are Some Of The Safe And Effective Ingredients Found In Different Skin Care Products?
Antioxidants help reduce the damage from the free radicals and toxins in the skin. Free radicals are produced naturally by the skin.
Antioxidants also facilitates in producing collagen and healing acne and scars. It also helps in boosting the immune system. It adds protection to your body against heart diseases, brain disorders and eye problems.
- Retinoids and Retinols
These are Vitamin A derivatives. They help in making the skin look younger as they have very effective anti-aging properties. They work by exfoliating your skin and removing the dead cells on the surface of your skin to allow new cells to grow.
- Vitamin E
Vitamin E prevents skin dryness, wrinkles and the destruction of skin collagen. It can also prevent cancer and also help speed up the healing process of acne scars.
- Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps in reducing the brown spots and other types of skin damages. It promotes the fast healing of blemishes and scars. It can also help in preventing inflammation and irritation of the skin. Vitamin C also protects the skin from pollutants and harmful toxins, thus preventing breakouts and acne.
3. Why Is It Important To Check The Ingredients Of Skin Care Products?
Have you ever tried looking at the ingredients list of skin care products’ package? You probably know that it is very difficult to read a skin care label without the knowledge of the different ingredients and its effects on the skin. The names of these ingredients are long and hard to read, and most people don’t know which of them are safe to use.
It is important for everyone to know the ingredients of the different skin care products because they are becoming an essential part of our everyday lives. People use soaps and shampoos when taking a bath, perfumes when going to work and nail polish for women when attending parties.
You should watch out for harmful chemicals like petroleum, mineral oil, parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate and acetate. Usually, formaldehyde is not written on the ingredients list, so you must search on the Internet about the products containing this chemical.
These products help in making you beautiful, but they also contain chemicals that can contribute to different health conditions like skin cancer, lung diseases, infertility and hormonal imbalances. They are also not doing any good to your skin because they are just concealing your wrinkles, dry skin and clogged pores.
Here are some of the reminders you need to take into consideration when buying skin care products
- Focus on the order of the ingredients on the ingredient list. The ingredient that comes first is the one with the highest concentration, while those ingredients with the lower concentration are placed at the end of the list. Some ingredients may be highlighted, but it doesn’t mean that the product is rich in those ingredients.
- Look for organic and natural skin care products. These products are likely to be free from harmful substances. Artificial preservatives, fragrances and colorants present in some products are toxic to some people, so you must opt for natural ones even though they tend to be more expensive.
It is very important for you to consider reading labels when buying a cosmetic product. Paying careful attention to the ingredients of the different skin care products you are using can help you stay away from harmful substances that can harm your health.