Your choice of gaming monitor is a critical piece of hardware. A great screen will squeeze as much performance as possible from your video card, as well as being the grand theater of your digital prowess.
On the other hand, choosing a monitor that is unfit your needs can cost you more than just your KDA. Reduced resolutions, performance bottlenecks, and lower frame rates are just some of the problems that afflict most downmarket models.
So, how do you find a monitor that will be a great fit for your needs? (And without blowing a stupid amount of cash in the process). There are several approaches you can take to answer this question, and each avenue works best when it is used in conjunction with the others that are described below.
- Studying the reviews left by other users is a great first step. If you’re able to see past the distortions of purely negative reviewers, you will be able to get an opinion from the gaming community that is both fair and realistic.
- After you have researched the reviews left by other users, now it’s time to compare your model against the others that are on sale. There are many websites to facilitate this process, with Amazon and Pricespy to name a few.
- The final step is to ensure that your monitor will be suitable to use with your video card. For example, some monitors support 4K resolutions, and some do not. You’ll be kicking yourself later if you discover that your new toy won’t play nice with your parts, so slow down during this section of the process to avoid disappointment and potential nerd rage.
We know that a lot of our readers are familiar with the above process already, so from this point on we’ll get to the good stuff.
Because you probably don’t have the time to filter through the hundreds of gaming monitors that are on sale, nor the patience to cut through the marketing noise.
So, for this reason, we’ve done the hard work for you. Below you can see a list of the top three gaming monitors for 2017. These models were chosen for their fantastic reviews and bottom line performance.
Table of Contents
Asus VG248QE 24″ Black LED-Backlit LCD Monitor
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
So to start off our list, we’re going to go for the more affordable models in the gaming strata.
There are a few things that need to be said about this one that goes beyond its competitive price tag.
- First of all, the monitor has a 44Hz refresh rate and 1 ms response time. This is the gold standard of gaming monitors, which will allow you to siphon the best frame rates possible.
- It measures at 24 inches wide and supports full High Definition detail with over 16.7 million colors. So, you’ll get a very clear picture with the VG248QE, perhaps better than some of the more cost-prohibitive monitors on the market.
- The monitor’s picture quality is further enhanced via its 80000000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. You can also make some quick tweaks thanks to ASUS’ onboard tools to adjust the picture to your requirements.
- You can mount this bad boy to your wall and makes for an excellent picture frame. In all seriousness, you can screw and unmount this one quickly, without tedious installation.
- Excellent viewing angles. This is important because sometimes LCD displays only work when viewed head on. You’ll be able clearly to see what’s on your screen at 160 degrees from a vertical perspective and 170 degrees when it is turned horizontally.
In short, this model is the perfect model for gamers who are on a budget. The monitor’s features are sound, and it comes supported with an incredible 36-month warranty for your own peace of mind.
Acer Predator X34 34″
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
Taking a step up in terms of price and performance is the X34 from Acer. Just from looking at this monitor you can tell that it was designed for the hardcore gamer in mind.
This model measures at 34 inches wide and has a curved design for an immersive gaming experience.
Other notable features of this beast from Acer are that it supports a resolution of 3440×1440, which is one of the best in the gaming industry. This resolution is aided by a 100,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, meaning you will be able to get the most out of every pixel on your screen.
Other features of the X34 can be seen below:
- Flickerlesstechnologies, ensuring you get a consistent gaming experience throughout its lifetime.
- NVIDIA G-Sync to eliminate screen tearing and stuttering.
- Minimizes eye strain thanks to various features such as a blue light filter, and lowdimming technologies
- ZeroFrame tech means you’ll be able to setup one, two, or three different monitors with the ZeroFrame bezels to help keep you in the game
The X34 from Acer takes a bold leap intohigher price bracket. With this, you get higher resolutions and the potential for better frame rates, which alone are worth paying for.
Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
The Acer Predator XB1 XB27 takes a more conservative approach in terms of its size, price point, and related features. But it still delivers a premium gaming experience for those who are not afraid of investing a little more for the best gaming experience possible.
The XB27 1HU is able to offera crisp 2560×1440 resolution display with a 1000:1 contrast ratio. Priced less then the Acer Predator X34 listed above, this makes this model a steal for such great performance and value.
Features of the XB1
- NVIDIA-G Sync
- Blue Light filter to helo minimize eye strain
- Zero Frame, allowing you to seamlessly run a setup with multiple monitors
A good way of thinking about this model is that it delivers all of the punch of its larger sibling without the extra-large size and price tag.
Thanks for having a look at our guide on the best gaming monitors for this year. We hope that you found something in this article that has captivated your interest (even if it was at the expense of your wallet).
You can find any of the above models on their respective manufacturer’s website or at most retail stores and shopping networks.
Read more gaming related products: