A HDMI splitter is a device than enables you to split a HDMI signal from a source on two or more displays. It is actually a very complicated device. Normally when you think of a splitter, you think of just splitting wires and then you’re done. Think of a headphone splitter. It is a very simple device. In the case of HDMI, when you try to split the signal, you end up with a small piece of electrical equipment that you have to plug in. It is seriously like a small DVD player.
The reason that HDMI splitters are so complicated is all the back and forth communication that takes place between the signal device and the display. In case you are unfamiliar with this process, the information that is being communicated is called extended display identification data also known as EDID. EDID is sent from the display to the source device to tell the source device what kind of data to send. If you throw more than one display in the mix, then this becomes more complicated. Now the source has to communicate back and forth between your source and all the displays that you have wired up to your splitter.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best HDMI Splitter Reviews
- 1. DVDO DVDOMATRIX-4X4 Matrix44 4K Ultra HD 4×4 Matrix Switcher
- 2. Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI Switch
- 3. Kanex Pro SW-HD4X1AUD4K 4 x 1 HDMI Switcher with 4K
- 4. Monoprice 5X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote
- 5. Etekcity 4K x 2K 4 Port High Speed HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote Control
- 6. IOGEAR Long Range Wireless 5×2 HDMI Matrix PRO, GWHDMS52MB
- 7. Nyrius ARIES Home + Wireless HDMI 2x Input Transmitter & Receiver
- 8. Accell K072C-010B UltraAV 5×1 Audio/Video HDMI Switch with Remote Control
- 9. Fosmon HD1832 Intelligent 5-Port HDMI Switch
- 10. MASSCOOL HS-MA103 Mini HDMI Amplifier Switch 3-In-1 Out
- HDMI Splitter Buying Guide
- When to Use a HDMI Splitter
- There are a few things to consider before you go out and buy a splitter.
Top 10 Best HDMI Splitter Reviews
1. DVDO DVDOMATRIX-4X4 Matrix44 4K Ultra HD 4×4 Matrix Switcher
Our Rating: (5.0 / 5)
This HDMI splitter is extremely easy to use and it allows for quick switching using the intuitive control. It is functional and it can support four HDMI 2.0 inputs that allow transmittal of 4K Ultra HD or a Full HD 1080p sources to the corresponding outputs, plus it also supports 3DTV. In addition to this, you can also assign input names using the Ethernet GUI and it is also equipped with the RS232 Serial interface for easier control. For added functionality, this HDMI splitter enables compatibility with a universal display that is powered through a dynamic EDID control. However, it is considered to be a bulkier model as it measures 7 x 12 x 1 inches.
2. Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI Switch
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
Another HDMI spliiter is the Kinivo 501BN that is equipped with 5 HDMI inputs that is paired with only one ouput. You are given the option to switch between inputs using manual switching, IR remote controlled switching, or automated switching. It allows for easy use and high-quality display because it supports an HD resolution of 1080p. On top of that, it is compatible with several HDMI devices. The great thing about the Kinivo 501BN is that it is cheap, attractive, compact, easy to use, and simple to operate.
3. Kanex Pro SW-HD4X1AUD4K 4 x 1 HDMI Switcher with 4K
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
At its core, the Kanex Pro is a basic HDMI splitter with basic features. It is equipped with three inputs that you can switch pairing with one output. It is also able to support a 4K resolution at 30Hz. You can easily switch it using a remote or you can switch it by using the selector on the box. This can help you make your viewing experience better with supreme reliability and quick switching, without adding in to the clutter.
4. Monoprice 5X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote
Our Rating: (4.0 / 5)
Another HDMI splitter is the Monoprice that is able to support a resolution of up to 1080p. Moreover, it is also able to provide vivid colors since it supports 36 bits overall. You can take this anywhere as it is compact and lightweight. It measures 9.9 by 7.9 by 2.5 inches and it weighs over a pound, which means that it saves space on your home. It is both functional and the structure itself is durable and solid.
5. Etekcity 4K x 2K 4 Port High Speed HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote Control
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
If you are looking for a cheap HDMI splitter that does not compromise in quality the Etekcity delivers in performance and functionality. You can use this HDMI splitter together with four devices at once. There four input ports that allow you to watch and play with a 4K resolution, clearer colors, and 3D compatibility. You also have the option to use a remote control to switch through inputs or you can manually switch through them. The remote control also allows you to choose the PIP function or select the secondary input option.
6. IOGEAR Long Range Wireless 5×2 HDMI Matrix PRO, GWHDMS52MB
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
IOGEAR has several HDMI splitters on its catalogue, but one of the most celebrated models is the unit that has 5 HDMI inputs with a 200 feet range. This allows you to watch 1080p videos while switching through 5 input sources and between 2 HDTV devices. If you are wondering how this works, the first HDTV connect through the local port, while the second HDTV is able to receive content from the wireless receiver. This technology is extremely unique, which is why this HDMI splitter is extremely costly, but this makes it ideal for office or commercial use.
7. Nyrius ARIES Home + Wireless HDMI 2x Input Transmitter & Receiver
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
The Nyrius HDMI splitter also boasts of a wireless technology that delivers video quality of 1080p. You can use this with HDMI devices within a hundred feet range. It allows several users to enjoy a more vivid viewing and gaming experience from different devices and different rooms. For a better experience, this HDMI splitter allows for zero latency. On top of that, it also provides maximum convenience since you can switch through the input using the IR remote extender. Moreover, you have the option to transmit between two devices without the need to unplug them.
8. Accell K072C-010B UltraAV 5×1 Audio/Video HDMI Switch with Remote Control
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
When you have several devices at home, you would want an HDMI splitter that is compatible with several devices. This allows you to save both money and living space since you only need one model. This HDMI splitter is both HDMI and HDCP compliant, which makes it compatible with all you HDMI audio and video sources. On top of that, it comes with the unique signal repeater that allows regeneration of audio and video signal. You also have a variety of option when it comes to switching through inputs. First, you can switch through inputs automatically. Second, you can manually do the switching. Lastly, you can also use a remote control. Despite its functionality, it does not fail in performance because it supports 1080p HD resolution.
9. Fosmon HD1832 Intelligent 5-Port HDMI Switch
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
An HDMI splitter is designed to provide convenience for your needs. There is nothing wrong when only the basic features are found on your HDMI splitter. This is why the 1080p resolution and the five HDMI inputs with the Fosmon HD1832 makes this HDMI splitter basic, but functional. You can manually switch through the inputs using the IR remote or by manually switching in the box. Apart from the IR remote, there is also an AC adapter included in the package to ensure completeness of your purchase.
10. MASSCOOL HS-MA103 Mini HDMI Amplifier Switch 3-In-1 Out
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the more expensive HDMI splitter on the list, we have added an affordable option in the Masscool HS-MA103. It allows for easier switching through an intelligent switching or a manual method. However, you also have the option to use the IR remote that comes with your purchase. It is able to support 1080p video resolution and 250MHz per channel bandwidth. This is pretty impressive, since you can purchase this HDMI splitter at an incredibly steep price. However, the performance of this splitter is hit-and-miss because it provides inconsistent results.
HDMI Splitter Buying Guide
When to Use a HDMI Splitter
Let’s say you have a DVR in your living room, but you want to be able to watch the same thing in your bedroom without getting a second DVR. In this case, you need a splitter box if you want to be able to watch in HD in your bedroom. Look at the diagram below if you want to see what I mean.
There are a few things to consider before you go out and buy a splitter.
1. The splitter will use the lowest common denominator with regards to the display resolution. Let me explain in detail. If your DVR transmits in 1080p HD but one TV displays 1080p and the second TV displays 720p, both TVs will only display in 720p even though the DVR is capable of transmitting 1080p video. You should be careful here. On some splitter boxes, you may need to set the 720p display as the primary and not the secondary display. Otherwise, it may not show a picture.
2. You need to buy a powered device which makes it active. Passive splitters are cheap and don’t need to be plugged in, but they are junk. Do not waste your money on these.
3. There is a maximum HDMI cord length that you should use between your source device and displays. I would not recommend going over 50 feet. If you need to go over that distance, you will need a signal amplification device. If you need to run cables behind the wall, use a HDMI wall plate so that your installation will look professional.
4. Make sure to only buy a splitter that is HDMI authorized testing center (ATC) certified. This will rule out a lot of options. Further down this page, you will find some product recommendations.
5. Buy from a company that offers no hassle refunds. There are a lot of companies out there that will happily sell you a junk HDMI splitter box. If you buy from Amazon, you can return the splitter if it does not work.
Clearly, each HDMI splitter has their own benefits, but one unit is a cut above the rest.
We made our decision based on performance, functionality, aesthetic, portability, structure, durability, convenience, and value for money.
Our choice for the best HDMI splitter goes to… the Etekcity 4K x 2K 4 Port High Speed HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote Control.
It was a dark horse in the competition since it was one of the cheapest HDMI splitters on the list.
However, we did not expect that it was able to deliver accurate colors and better video quality.
This is why in this race, the Etekcity takes the cake.