Blackheads are a mild type of acne. They appear when the skin produces too much of its natural oil (sebum), and consist of a combination of sebum, dead skin cells and dirt gathered in hair follicles. As they are on the skin’s surface, the oil plug is exposed to the air and it goes through and oxidation process that turns it dark. They are similar to pimples, but not inflamed and with no skin over them.
Blackheads commonly occur on the face, particularly on the nose, but they may also appear in other parts of the body. Blackheads are quite common in teenagers, although they can appear in people of any age. Two main causes of this problem are hormonal changes and excessive use of cosmetic products.
Your doctor can give you many prescription medicines to treat blackheads, but this is not usually necessary. There are many home remedies to get rid of them. Just give them a try, always bearing in mind that the trick for them to be effective is repeating the remedies regularly to prevent new blackheads.
Table of Contents
The most common home remedy is squeezing blackheads. It’s quite simple because you don’t need any products, but you have to be careful, as you can bruise your skin.
- Warm your skin to expand your pores and make the squeezing easier and less harmful. To do it, apply a wet, hot towel or a hot compress over the affected areas. You can also take a warm shower. Another option is making a mask by scooping the pulp from a fresh tomato. Leave on your skin for 20 minutes and wash it off.
- Locate the blackhead, grab that pinch of skin and squeeze. Apply the pressure from underneath the blackhead. You can also use an extractor tool to remove it.
- NOTE that this method has downsides: if you squeeze blackheads without softening them first, you can irritate or even scar the skin. In addition, bacteria from pimples or unwashed hands can be transmitted to the blackhead, leading to new pimples.
1. Egg white
Eggs help you get rid of all the oils and clean your face. To make this facial mask, you just need 1 egg:
- Separate egg white from egg yolk. Gently apply the egg white over your face using your fingers. Let it dry, then apply another layer of egg white. Let dry again. Add more egg white to the affected areas. Let dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Dip a towel or washcloth into warm water, squeeze and cover your face with it. Leave for some seconds, then gently rub your face with the cloth to remove the egg white.
Honey has a lot of properties that are beneficial for your skin. To make this face mask, you need 3 teaspoons of honey.
- Warm the teaspoons of honey.
- Make sure that the honey is not too hot, then apply over your face. Leave on your skin for 10 minutes. Remove the paste with warm water.
3. Cinnamon and Honey
To make this face mask, you need 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 teaspoon of honey:
- Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder with honey until you make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area before going to bed and leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off in the morning. For best results, do it daily for about 10 days.
4. Cinnamon and Lemon Juice
To make this face mask, you need 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (you can use a pinch of turmeric powder as well):
- Mix the lemon juice with the cinnamon and the turmeric (optional) until you make a paste.
- Apply over the affected area. Leave for 20 minutes and wash it off. For best results, do it twice a day.
5. Gelatin and Milk
Making a gelatin and milk mixture is a cheap way to create your own pore strips. You need 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 tablespoon of flavorless gelatin.
- Mix the milk and gelatin until you make a paste. Heat the paste for 10 seconds in the microwave.
- Make sure that the paste is not too hot, then apply over the affected area as it if were a pore strip. You can use a makeup brush or something similar to apply the paste.
- Leave for about 10 minutes or until the paste is completely dry. Then pull the strips off.
6. Oatmeal, Honey, and Tomato
This combination helps to clean your skin. To make this face mask, you need 1 teaspoon of honey, the juice of four tomatoes and oatmeal:
- Mix one teaspoon of honey, the tomato juice, and oatmeal until you make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area. Remove after 10 minutes with warm water. It’s more effective if you repeat the process regularly.
7. Oatmeal and Yogurt
This combination helps clean your skin. To make this face mask, you need 2 teaspoons of oatmeal, 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Mix two teaspoons of oatmeal, three tablespoons of plain yogurt and a bit of lemon juice and olive oil. Stir until you make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your face. Let dry for a few minutes, then remove the paste with warm water. It’s more effective if you repeat the process regularly.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon is loaded with nutrients and vitamins, and it also works well to fight acne and blackheads. To make this facial scrub, you need lemon juice, salt, yogurt, and honey.
- Mix lemon juice, salt, yogurt, and honey until you make a paste.
- Gently exfoliate the affected area for two to three minutes. Remove the paste with warm water.
9. Green Tea
Green tea is good to clean oily skin and helps unclog pores. To make this facial scrub, you need 1 teaspoon of dry green tea leaves and water.
- Mix one teaspoon of dry green tea leaves with a little water until you make a paste.
- Gently exfoliate the affected area for 2-3 minutes. Remove the paste with warm water.
10. Lime Juice, Almond Oil, and Glycerin
To make this face mask, you need lime juice, almond oil, and glycerin.
- Make a paste with the same quantity of lime juice, almond oil, and glycerin.
- Apply over your face.
If you are prone to blackheads, your skin is already oily and your pores are probably large. These are some tips that will help you get rid of blackheads, or prevent them:
- Wash your face daily, if possible when you wake up and before you go to bed, to remove oil buildup that can cause blackheads.
- Use oil-free products.
- Use an exfoliating product.
- Use a cleanser containing salicylic acid to help clear up and prevent blackheads.
- , use oil absorbing sheets that keep oil away from your face
- Put cold water on your face after using a treatment to close your pores. Don’t touch your face excessively and try to keep your hair and nails clean. Otherwise, you may transfer oil from your hands, grease from your hair and dirt from your nails to your face.