Nowadays, many people prefer to harvest their own vegetables at home because of the nutritional benefits they get from organic foods. There are a number of methods to grow nutritious vegetables like tomato in a greenhouse of your backyard garden.
Growing tomato in a greenhouse is perhaps one of the easiest ways to enjoy the purest form of the food at your own home. Some of the best methods to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse are discussed below.
Table of Contents
How to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse?
Winter season is the best to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse. You can plant the tomatoes directly into the soil or into the pots. Big containers with 12” diameter and 10 gallons volume can also be used for this purpose.
Special types of greenhouse/indoor tomato seeds are available to suit the greenhouse environment.
How to create an ideal greenhouse environment?
- Creating a suitable greenhouse environment is utmost essential for proper growth of the tomato plants. Cleanliness is one of the major concerns of your greenhouse environment. Your tomato plants need to grow properly in a healthy environment where there are no risks of contact with any plant diseases.
- In order to make the greenhouse disease-free, you simply need to disinfect the walls pots and windows before planting. You always need to use only fresh soil for the planting purposes.
- The ground soil in the greenhouse needs to be replaced every 2 to 3 years to prevent the spread of the plant diseases. You can control the pests by using companion plants with various herbs like lavender and basil.
- The indeterminate types of tomato plants are the most suitable ones to be grown in a greenhouse. These plants bear the fruits for the longest time period.
- You need to water your greenhouse plants regularly and in a calculative way. You need to make a good plan of how to water your plants in the greenhouse. If you are a frequent traveler and need to be out of home for a long time, then you need to set an automatic watering system for your greenhouse plants.
- You can also seek the help of your friends or neighbors to water your tomato plants while you are out for a long time span.
- While watering the plants, a lot of care is to be taken to avoid the unnecessary water-clogging at the plant roots. This might cause decomposition of the roots and the plant will ultimately die.
- Thus, it is always advisable to develop proper water drainage or filtering system to your greenhouse in order to remove the extra water from the ground soil.
- Always remember that your tomato plant needs a lot of light energy for proper growth. Thus, you need to plant them under direct sunlight. If your greenhouse lacks much sunlight exposure, then high-pressure sodium lights can be used as an alternative.
- The tomato plants need a definite and constant temperature to produce fruits. The greenhouse provides them with that constant temperature. However, during the cold winter months, an extra heating source is to be added to the greenhouse. Wooden stakes are very commonly used for this purpose.
- Pollination is needed for your plant in hot and humid weather. Plants need a little shake to pollinate properly. For this purpose, you can use an electronic toothbrush to shake the branch and truss of the plant.
Some useful tips
- The greenhouse should measure 1010 foot for proper growth and production of the tomatoes. Five rebars are to be taken to each side and staked them into the ground. You need some conduit pipes and arch each of them into each rebar. Thus, you will have 5 ribs.
- Lay a flat and large piece of wire to reach the top of the ribs and create a tunnel-like structure. You need to cover the greenhouse with a greenhouse plastic and hold it with big presto and rocks.
- Do not forget to add all the essential equipment to your greenhouses like cooling system, heaters, thermometers and watering systems. The plants grown in this way will produce the purest form of organic tomatoes.
- After completing all the work mentioned above, you can get an ideal greenhouse for growing tomato plants. You will enjoy natural, juicy and tasty tomato every day, grown on your own property.