Dandruff is a common scalp condition. It occurs when your scalp sheds dead skin cells, they build up and cause irritation. Dandruff is not a serious condition, but it can be a bother/bother you and make you feel embarrassed.
Some of the most common causes are dry skin, irritated, oily skin, not shampooing often enough, skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia and sensitivity to hair-care products, as stated by Mayo Clinic. Stress and even a poor diet can contribute to the development of dandruff.
The main symptoms are itchiness and dry skin flakes on the scalp.
In many cases, all you need is using a dandruff shampoo daily until the flakes subside, leaving the shampoo on for 5 minutes to let it act. Remember that washing your hair too much won’t help either, it can irritate the scalp and make it even drier. Just wash it regularly.
Apart from dandruff shampoo, there are home remedies to help you to get rid of dandruff. Take a look at the list below and find your home remedy.
Table of Contents
1. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar exfoliates and removes the skin flakes stuck in your hair, helping you to get rid of the dead skin in your scalp. In addition, it has anti-fungal properties.
- Apply apple cider vinegar to your hair and scalp until well coated. You can use a cotton ball for that. Your scalp must be completely coated with vinegar. Then, gently massage the scalp.
- Wrap a warm towel around your hair (it must be warm to open your pores with heat). If you have long hair, wrap it in a bun first for one hour.
- Wash it off with warm water. Don’t use shampoo after applying apple cider vinegar, wait until the following day.
2. Natural oils
Natural oils like coconut, almond or olive oil are natural moisturizers, hydrating your hair and scalp. This way, they help you to get rid of dandruff, especially if it’s caused by dry skin.
- Warm up oil in a bowl. Apply to your scalp and gently massage. Your scalp/It must be completely coated with oil.
- Wrap a warm towel around your hair. Leave it overnight.
- Rinse in the morning.
3. Apple and orange
Apples have anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix apple and orange in equal parts until you make a paste.
- Apply to your scalp. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with shampoo.
4. Baking soda
Baking soda exfoliates and removes the skin flakes stuck in your hair, helping you to get rid of the dead skin of your scalp. In addition, it has anti-fungal properties.
- Instead of shampoo, use baking soda for a few weeks. Follow your regular schedule to wash your hair.
- Rub a handful of baking soda into the scalp. Rinse with warm water.
5. Lemon juice
Lemon juice contains acids with anti-fungal properties and it also leaves your hair clean and fresh.
- Take the juice of a lemon and apply to your scalp. Gently massage. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off. Use it daily until you no longer need it.
Aspirin contains acetylsalicylic acid, the same ingredient used in dandruff shampoos to control dandruff.
- Take 2 aspirins and crush into a fine powder. Mix the powder with the amount of shampoo that you use to wash your hair. Wash your hair with the mixture and gently massage. Leave it on for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse your hair. Then, wash your hair again with normal shampoo.
Yogurt is a natural moisturizer, hydrating your hair and scalp.
- Wash your hair.
- Apply yogurt to the scalp until well coated. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off.
Some plants are also a natural remedy to get rid of dandruff: