Constipation is a condition of the bowels in which feces are dry and hardened and evacuation is difficult and infrequent. The normal frequency of having bowel movements is between 3 times a day (maximum) and once every three days (minimum), so less than that is considered constipation. However, even once a day can be considered constipation if the stools are scant and hardened.
Constipation can affect 20% of the population and, if not treated, it can cause various problems, including a headache, general discomfort, piles, intestinal obstruction, and colon cancer.
- The most frequent causes for this condition are a sedentary lifestyle, stress, a low-fiber diet, drinking very little water and wearing tight clothes.
- To prevent constipation, you should drink 0.5 gallons of water every day, practice sports, do not take too many laxatives, place a little stool or bench under your feet when you go to the bathroom to facilitate the evacuation posture and have a healthy diet.
Some key tips on a diet (besides the previous ones) are the following:
- Have some oil and seeds.
- Eat at the same hour every day.
- Chew your food well.
Here you have 4 natural constipation remedies:
1. Digestive Breakfast
- 2-4 tablespoon whole grain rolled oats.
- 1 tablespoon golden flax seeds.
- 3 prunes (without pit).
- 1 apple.
- 1 small saucepan with cold water.
- In a bowl, mix the rolled oats, the seeds, and the prunes.
- Cover the mixture with cold water (but do not exceed the level of the solid ingredients). Let it settle for three minutes.
- Peel and grate the apple and add it to the previous mixture.
- Stir the mixture till it has a homogeneous texture and let it cool down. Have this for breakfast every day.
2. For Serious Constipation
- 4-5 cabbage leaves.
- 2 tablespoons oil.
- 1 glass warm water.
- Cut the cabbage in little pieces and place it in a bowl.
- Add the oil.
- Have this remedy every morning on an empty stomach and chew well.
- Sip from a glass of warm water slowly.
3. Prunes and Water
- 2-3 prunes.
- 1 glass of water.
- Put the prunes to soak and leave them overnight.
- In the morning, have the water and the prunes.
4. Flax Seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds.
- ½ glass water.
- Put the flax seeds to soak and leave them overnight.
- In the morning, have the water and the seeds. Note that the water will be a little bit gelatinous because the seeds will have released the mucilage. If the problem doesn’t disappear in a couple of days, increase a number of seeds gradually.