Smoky eye makeup has become very popular ever since Hollywood celebrities have worn this look. It’s easy to see why as the look is sexy and glamorous, giving a touch of mystery to the woman wearing this. Learn all of the tips you will need to achieve this look, as well as tips on applying eye makeup in general.
Table of Contents
Why is Smoky Eye Makeup So Popular?
Historically, smoky eyes are said to have been derived from the kohl-lined eyes primarily used in Ancient Egypt, where the women believed that focusing on the eyes enhances their beauty. The look emerged as a popular trend in the 60s, but the fad faded away until its return a few years back.
There are so many reasons why smoky eyes have become popular, not the least of which is the fact that the famous trendsetters, such as the Hollywood celebrities and the so-called celebutantes have appeared in society pages and entertainment sources wearing this dramatic makeup. The air of mystery it creates makes women appear sexier and more enticing, a perfect look for a night of clubbing.
How to Apply Smoky Eye Makeup
Makeup needed for creating the smoky eye makeup effect include:
- Eyeshadow. Black and gray are the classic shades used in smoky eyes, however, it’s possible to use other colors, as long as it works well with your eye color. For example, blue eyes can get away with mixing up violet, purple, or dark blue. Brown eyes, on the other hand, can work with copper, coffee, or other shades of brown for a different take on the smoky look.
- Eyeliner. Makeup experts don’t really agree on what kind of eyeliner to use. Some advocate liquid eyeliners, while there are those that say that eyeliner pencils work just fine. If need be, choose the one that you’re more comfortable using to avoid making mistakes.
- Eye shadow base. The base will prevent your eyeshadow from running.
- Mascara and eyelash curler.
Applying Your Makeup
- Apply the base on the entire eyelid, up to the brow bone.
- Apply the darker eye shadow from your eyelid to about the area between your lid and your eyebrows, making sure that the makeup has been well-blended.
- Apply the lighter eyeshadow over the entire eyelid area. Again, make sure that the makeup is blended well, taking care that the transition between the light and darker eye shadow looks gradual instead of simply jumping shades.
- Apply the eyeliner as close as possible to your lashes, starting from the corners moving inwards. For an added dramatic effect, lightly smudge the eyeliner.
- Curl your eyelashes and apply the mascara. For thicker-looking eyelashes, you can use a volumizing mascara. As an alternative, you can also opt to use fake eyelashes for an even more dramatic look. Do curl both your real lashes and the fake ones before sticking these to your lids.
Do keep the rest of your makeup simple so that your look won’t be all over the place. Keep the lipstick and the blush light so that the attention will be focused on your eyes.
It may take a while before you can perfect applying smoky eye makeup. Even so, it’s well worth it. With this dramatic look, you can draw all eyes to you on your next night out.