I am sure you will agree with me when I say that baby cradle mattress products are quite expensive. You will be surprised to find out that some mattresses for babies are quite as expensive as those intended for adults.
If you are investing on an expensive mattress, you have to make sure that it will last for a long time. This way, you can still use the mattress for your next baby. But aside from the inherent durable features of the mattress, you still have to consider proper maintenance to prolong the life of your mattress.
How To Prevent Mattress Sagging
Mattress sagging is one of the most common mattress problems. Even with your baby’s light weight, the baby cradle mattress can still succumb to the increase in weight eventually. Here are some tips on how to prevent this from happening:
1. Try to invest in a good mattress topper.
This is not an additional expense to you. Consider it a preventative way of saving more money in the future. If you use a good mattress topper, the current mattress can last longer. Mattress toppers usually act like shields to the current bed. If there are spills, leaks or damages, the topper catches them first. The primary bed stays protected underneath.
A good mattress topper also enhances the comfort of the mattress. If you purchased a mattress that does not provide ideal support to the back, you can tweak the comfort level by using a firmer or softer kind of topper.
2. Flip the mattress occasionally
At least every other month, try to flip or rotate the mattress. Most mattresses today are double-sided. These are baby cradle mattress models that can also be transformed into toddler mattresses. Do not wait until your baby turns into the toddler stage to take advantage of the other side. Make sure you even out wear by regularly flipping or rotating it. This will prevent one part of the mattress from receiving most of the damages.
3. You might want to use place a wooden slat under the mattress
Some cribs do not have a good bottom support. They tend to cave in eventually. Try making a wooden slat with the same size as the mattress. Place it on the bottom of the crib and place the baby cradle mattress on top. This will surely provide a good amount of support to the mattress. It will prevent the mattress from caving in.
How To Clean The Mattress
Cleaning is one way of maintaining it.
1. When dealing with pee stains, try to use a mild cleaning solution such as vinegar and water solution. Mix one part distilled white vinegar with two parts water and place it in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the area affected. Let it stay there for about an hour before wiping it off.
2. For other stains such as milk stains, try using a mild detergent solution. Dissolve liquid detergent in warm water and place it in a spray bottle. Spray this solution on the affected areas of the mattress. Let it stay there for an hour until the stains have disappeared.
3. You can also get rid of unwanted smell by sprinkling the mattress with baking soda. Liberally sprinkle baking soda on all sides of the mattress. Let it work in diffusing bad mattress odor for about an hour before vacuuming it off.
4. Vacuum all sides of the mattress. Also vacuum the area around the mattress to prevent dust mites and dirt particles from transferring to the surface of the baby cradle mattress. You should also consider getting a vacuum machine with HEPA filter or high efficiency particulate air filter. This will make sure that the dust particles you are vacuuming will not fly back towards you or get scattered into the other areas of the mattress.
Maintaining the baby cradle mattress should not be difficult if you know what you are doing. You have to constantly work in maintaining the mattress especially if you have plans of having babies in the future. Also, when the time has come to change the mattress to a bigger one, store the old one carefully. Place it in a neat plastic covering that can protect it from external elements. Occasionally air the mattress out to prevent it from acquiring an old and dingy kind of smell. The mattress should also be vacuumed out regularly when you are storing to avoid the accumulation of dust particles. You can save a lot of money in the future by taking good care of the baby mattress you have right now.