Are you seeking out ways to install a garbage disposal? Garbage disposers have ability to grind leftover food wastes and move the debris into the sink drain. Some people have a misconception that it is very difficult to install a garbage disposal. In fact, the disposer does not take much time to get installed. Here are some easy steps, which can give you an idea about how to install a garbage disposal without making much effort.
- For installing a garbage disposer, the first step is to install an electrical source of power. Then the most crucial step is using tester to make sure that the power is off. Prior to install a disposer, you must check local codes. Few sewer capacity codes do not support disposers. For these codes, dishwasher and air gap are primarily needed.
- Removal of existing drain lines and strainer from the bowl are imperative steps. For removing strainer body, you have to unscrew the large nut. In order to shun leakage, a rag should be placed within the main drain. By loosening and dropping down large nut, which exists on sink flange, you must disconnect electric cable. Once this procedure is done, you will notice a simple hole remaining in bottom of sink bowl. Then you need to remove putty by using a screwdriver. Before proceeding further, please clean sink opening and check that no old putty is left there. Until the time you can access snap ring, loosen entire mounting screws with your fingers and screwdriver.
- As soon as you pry this ring off sink flange, separate entire parts without damaging fibre gasket. Here, installation of mounting rings and gasket can be done on the flange. By rolling plumber’s putty around sink opening, press it deliberately. Tightening the three screws is the most important step. Over sink flange, please slip metal back up ring and gasket. You have to clean the sink and trim the putty. In order to hold its parts, utilize a rubber band. You need to attach disposer unit to flange. You must keep in mind to attach a few with bolts while others will be attached with utilization of a mounting ring.
- The next step is attaching discharge tube with discharge opening. By using a screwdriver, please knockout the plug within the dishwasher nipple. Attach the dishwasher discharge tube and install drain lines. Please check that whether you have two-bowl sink or not. If there is two bowls sink, please attach the bowls with a P-trap and run discharge tube from disposer. For measuring discharge pipe, you can also use tubing cutters and hackshaw. Make sure that within the outlet of disposer, discharge pipe should be installed. With slip nuts, you must attach the drain line. Within the mounting lug on mounting ring, you need to insert disposer wrench or screwdriver.
- Till the moment when disposer is locked into place, you have to turn it clockwise. Then with utilization of water pump pliers, you can tighten slip nuts snug. With running water in sink, check leaks by turning on disposer. If required at any point of time, tighten all the fittings. The next step is connecting power to the disposal. Usually, disposers have personalized circuits. In contrast to this, if you already have availability of dishwasher, you can tie with dishwasher circuit.
- A single-pole switch is highly important for operating the unit. Take a proper wire nut and tie white wires together. However, the black wires need to be connected to switch terminal. With top terminal, the wire going towards disposer unit should be attached. Please ensure that incoming wire is connected to bottom terminal. If your electrician has already installed a switched circuit, there are minimal electrical connections, which are required for installing disposal. The plate, which is covering electrical connections for unit, should be removed at the disposal.