Table of Contents
- What are clothes steamers?
- Top 5 Best Clothes Steamer in 2020 Reviews
- 1. SINGER ESP-2 Magic Steam Press
- 2. J-2000 Jiffy Garment Steamer
- 3. Kazoo 1580W Telescopic Garment Steamer
- 4. Rowenta IS9200 Precision Valet Commercial Retractable Full Size Garment and Fabric Steamer
- 5. Kazoo 1580W Large Capacity Professional Garment Steamer
- How does the clothes steamer work?
- Iron versus clothes steamer
- Why do we need to get the best clothes steamer?
- Selecting the right clothes steamer
- What are the specifications for selecting clothes steamers?
- Capacity of reservoir
- Time to heat up
- Time to steam
- Unit portability
- Length of cord
What are clothes steamers?
The best clothes steamer is a steaming unit that is used to smooth out wrinkles from clothes and make them ready to wear for any occasion. It basically turns water into steam. This is then applied to the fabric that has wrinkles on it. The steam loosens the bonds in the molecules of the fabric and facilitates reducing the wrinkles.
There are two varieties available. The compactor portable steamer is more suitable for travel. It is also preferable where there are space restrictions to have a regular, full-sized steamer at home. The compact variety gives around 15 minutes of steam with each fill and may be convenient when traveling, or when the number of clothes that need to be treated are less. The bigger variety takes up a larger space, can handle more clothes, and do a much better job at eliminating wrinkles than the portable ones. There are again the professional and consumer varieties available. However, the features and characteristics of a steamer are more important than the price when selecting the right product.
Top 5 Best Clothes Steamer in 2020 Reviews
1. SINGER ESP-2 Magic Steam Press
SINGER ESP-2 Magic Steam Press with 100 Pounds of Pressure and Adjustable Steam is a garment pressing machine that would give you the professional results in just half the time you would spend and therefore reduces working time by 50%. The working surface area of the singer pressing machine which is made of die cast aluminum is extra-large, giving you about ten times the pressing surface of the standard pressing iron. The machine is fitted with an electronic fabric temperature setting that allows you to set the required temperature to press a whole range of fabrics from nylon to linen. It also has an automatic shut-off audible alarm that would shut off the unit in about fifteen minutes if the handle of the machine is in the up position. It would shut off in ten seconds time if the handle is left in the down position.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- SINGER ESP-2 Magic Steam Press with 100 Pounds of Pressure and Steam operates at a power rating of 1,540 watts, which easily removes wrinkles from any type of fabric you are pressing.
- The steam press is made up of die cast aluminum heat pressing surface which is adjustable, giving a maximum full size of 10.25 inches by 20 inches and this flexibility gives you the ability to adjust the pressing area hence helping you work out faster.
- The steam press has a special feature that allows for heat and steam variable settings suitable for different fabrics.
- The press has been designed with an automatic shut-off and wake-up feature that includes an audible alarm for the safety of the user and the machine itself.
- The water tank of the Magic Steam Press with 100 Pounds of Pressure and Adjustable Steam comes with a 300ml tank that is easy to fill and read out the level indicator.
- The steam press has a handle that is easy to operate and can easily be stored when the machine is not in use.
- The steam press has been designed to be portable and can therefore be conveniently used anywhere that you may wish to go.
- It is very easy to remove the pad cover for maintenance and cleaning of the steam press as it’s washable after each session.
- The pressing surface area of this machine is extra-large compared to the conventional iron which means that it’s more efficient.
- For the best results you must use purified water in the steam press machine as ordinary tap water clogs the steam vents and could stain your clothes while using it.
Is This A Great Purchase?
This product is a great purchase because it’s faster using it than the conventional iron, in fact it saves you 50% of the time doing the same piece of work which is very necessary. This will easily lead you to saving a lot of time because cleaning is among the house chores that you will be required to carry out more often.
2. J-2000 Jiffy Garment Steamer
The J-2000 Jiffy Garment Steamer with Plastic Steam Head, 120 Volt is a unique steaming machine used in smaller homes and big businesses. The steamer offers several applications to the user, such as removing the wallpaper, wrinkles, steaming the bedding and table linens. The steamer is designed using plastic materials as its housing to make it last for a long time. The wheels are made to make it easy to move around. One surprising thing about the machine is its fast heating, which takes 2 minutes. One filling will give 90 minutes of steaming.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
The J 2000 steamer is designed for both home use and commercial service providers. Therefore, anyone will find the steamer useful.
The garment steamer comes with several features that make steaming of residential garments easy.
- Water capacity
The garment steamer is designed with a good water tank capacity for long hour usage. In fact, the no-drip checking valve unit works well for containing drips and the messes. The steamer has 5.5 foot flexible hose with a plastic steam handle and head.
- 1300 watt
Steaming requires a lot of power. Therefore, the J-2000 garment steamer offers 1300 watts of solid brass heating elements. This produces enough steam that helps to clean the garment within a short time.
- Plastic casing
Every user wants something that lasts. The Jiffy Steamer is designed with high impact plastic outer casings. The plastic casing helps to protect the internal components from destruction.
- Fast heating time
Home appliances are known to consume a lot of power when they take a long time to power. But the 2000 Jiffy garment steamer takes approximately 2 minutes to heat up. This allows a person to start the steaming within the shortest time possible.
The container size is medium, and thus offers 1.5 hours of steam time for a single fill. When steaming, you do not have to refill the tank twice as the capacity is large enough to complete the steaming.
It is designed with automatic shut off feature, pronged safety grounded cords that reduce fire hazards and a handy off/on switch.
- Extended code
It is good to have a long hose so that you are not limited to staying in one place for long. The machine comes with 5.5 foot hose with a six steam head.
- There are many advantages that come with the garment steamer.
- The steamer takes 2 minutes to heat up. Users do not have to wait long before heating takes place.
- It is among the simplest machines to use in the market.
- Works fast to steam your garments.
- It is made with plastic casings. This means it has a sturdy construction.
- Though the machine is ideal for steaming home and commercial garments, it will not give your garments the pressed look.
- The hose starts to get heated up soon, making it uncomfortable.
Is This A Great Purchase?
This product is a great buy because it comes at an affordable price with a warranty. The garment steamer is ideal for both light commercial and residential use. It has a long hose for flexible steam and easy mobility.
3. Kazoo 1580W Telescopic Garment Steamer
The Kazoo 1580W/50 oz Professional Garment Steamer Heats Up in 45 Seconds and Up to 40 Minutes is a robust steaming unit that has a very strong and durable chassis with dual telescopic poles that can be clipped to its body to facilitate steaming of clothes depending on individual preferences and habits. The unit heats up water in its tank within 45 seconds, and can provide continuous steam for the next 40 minutes.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
The Kazoo steamer is for people who wish to have that casual look about their garments without the crispness of ironing. For instance, frilled skirts and blouses with wrinkles can be made ready to wear within a matter of minutes. This is also ideal for drapes, curtains and upholstery to give them that new and fresh look. This product is also suitable for people who need to have the fresh look about their garments in a short notice since it takes under a minute to heat up and produce steam. If the amount of clothes to be steamed are rather large, this product is suitable since it provides steam continuously for 40 minutes.
- 50 oz. water tank that is easily removable. The water when heated up provides approximately 40 minutes of steam. It takes only 45 seconds to heat up the water due to its high power wattage at 1580W.
- The power shuts off automatically as soon as the water evaporates from the tank.
- It has four buttons, setting adjustments for various types of fabrics to be steamed.
- It comes with a handle that provides a comfortable grip. The body does not have any nuts to facilitate smooth steaming without hindrance.
- It is suitable for 110V use, as available in the US.
The unit comes with various accessories including a brush that can be used on fabrics, a brush for ironing, a pole that is telescopic, a triangular pad to press collars, a hook that can be used to hang clothes, and a pair of gloves to avoid scalding the skin.
- It has a hanger that can rotate 360 degrees, is adjustable, and allows 180 degrees of adjustment on breadth of shoulder, making it suitable for various sizes of clothes to be steamed.
- It has a button that can be adjusted in four different settings for various cloth types like silk, cotton, linen etc.
- It has a window to dissipate heat effectively. The handle is sized at 37 mm width offering ease of grip.
- The dual telescopic poles can go to a height of 165.3 cm and hold clothes weighing up to 20 kg. This offers ease of steaming to people based on their choices.
- The pipe used for steaming is wrapped in eight layers of yarn of high density to offer great insulation and prevent injuries.
- The inbuilt thermostat cuts off power when the boiler does not have water in it.
- It comes with a thermal fuse that trips power supply in case the thermostat fails or is damaged.
- The water tank is easily accessible and can be seen from the outside to occasionally check the water level.
- The manual does not seem to have been written professionally, so the instructions may be a bit difficult to follow.
- The length of the cord restricts usage of the steamer. For instance, if curtains that are fixed on windows or door frames need to be steamed and there is no power source available in their vicinity, things may be a bit difficult. Extension cords are not recommended for such high wattage devices.
- The steamer does not have an automatic power cutoff in case it reaches maximum temperature. Power has to be turned off manually and then the unit turned on again.
Is This A Great Purchase?
The steamer is a great purchase because it offers true value for money. It has features that are similar to professional steamers at a cost not even half that price. It removes wrinkles and kinks effectively from clothes by loosening up the molecular structures within the fabric, and gives it an absolutely ready-to-use fresh look. It also gives upholstery and window drapes that new fresh look. It has an easily accessible water tank with side draining, so filling up water is not at all messy. The eight layered thermal insulation on the pipe is also a great feature to protect against injuries. It takes very less time to heat up the water in its tank, and can be used almost immediately after switching it on. At the price at which it comes, no other steamer offers similar features. It is the preferred choice for many who wish to own an efficient yet easy to use steamer.
4. Rowenta IS9200 Precision Valet Commercial Retractable Full Size Garment and Fabric Steamer
The Rowenta IS9200 Precision Valet Commercial Garment Steamer Telescopic Full Size Automatic Cord Rewinder Accessories, 1550-Watt, Silver is designed to steam garments and furnishings around the home. It is a premium steamer designed for people who value speed and efficiency over economy, or those who have a large volume of steaming to do in a short period of time.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
- The Rowenta is easy to move into position thanks to the back wheels and handle.
- The steam is produced rapidly (60 seconds), and is diffused over a wide area using a large head. This allows for rapid wrinkle removal.
- The handle remains cool even when the unit is used continuously.
- The tank holds up to a gallon of water, which is enough to keep it going for 2.5 hours of continuous use. This would be a huge quantity of garments, so a more realistic view is that you will simply need to fill the tank less often.
- The tank is clear, so you can see at a glance how much water is left.
- The safety features ensure that the unit will switch itself off if the water tank is empty.
- The quantity of steam can be adjusted and fine-tuned.
- Adjustable height makes the unit more comfortable and convenient to use. This is important from an ergonomic point of view, to reduce strain and stress when operating the unit.
- The Rowenta IS9200 has a built in garment hanger, which makes it much easier to steam garments.
- The crease tool helps you to put sharp creases in the right place, to give a crisp finish.
- The unit has a retractable telescopic full size automatic cord, which is operated via foot pedal. It is compact and easy to store.
- It is fast and efficient.
- Safety features such as a cool handle and automatic shut off will help to prevent accidents.
- Lint pad helps to remove animal hair and fur, in order to provide a professional finish.
- The steam volume can be high on even the lowest setting, so it may not be appropriate for delicate clothing or furnishings. For typical men’s shirts, this is not a problem, but for very fragile silk clothing or thin fabrics, a gentle manual approach would be more effective.
- The plastic construction makes it more susceptible to damage than metal steamers – remember to treat this unit with care! As long as you treat the Rowenta IS9200 with respect, this should not be much of a problem. Also, a benefit of a plastic construction is that there is less likelihood of mineral deposits and scale building up and reducing the steam flow – this is quite a big plus if you live in a hard water area!
- Some people have noticed that the steam is not evenly dispersed through the head – there are areas of greater pressure.
Is This A Great Purchase?
If you need speed and convenience, or hate regular ironing, then this is a great product to purchase. If you have a lot of delicate clothing, bear in mind that the steam is quite strong, and so the Rowenta IS9200 Precision Valet Commercial Garment Steamer may not be the right product for you.
5. Kazoo 1580W Large Capacity Professional Garment Steamer
Every home has garments, whether clothing or curtains. After use, it has to be cleaned. There are many ways of cleaning, but one method you have to consider is steam cleaning. The Kazoo 1580W/91 oz Large Capacity Garment Steamer is the ideal steaming machine that makes the work easier. It heats up in 45 seconds to make a person start their work early.
Our Rating: (3.8 / 5)
The Kazoo garment steamer is a multipurpose machine. It is ideal for home use as well as the office that has many garments. This is because it cleans and removes the wrinkles fast.
The garment steamer comes with several features that make it the ideal equipment for purchase.
First, this garment steamer is designed with an automatic power off feature. This is important because when the machine has run out of water, it switches itself off to avoid overheating and wearing.
The water tank is designed with patented bottom materials. This makes it easy for easy cleaning and maintaining after use.
The hanger shoulder is an important feature of the Kazoo garment cleaner that allows easy operation and supports from the shoulders. The handles are comfortable when working as it makes the steaming job easier.
To prevent destruction of steamed garment, the steamer is designed with a nut free steel panel that comes into contact with the machine. This is also made easy with the triangular and dead free ironing base.
For effective steaming, there has to be uniformity with the heat distribution. The garment steamer has an effective steam dissipation technology that prevents the user’s hand from scalding. This is made better by the steamers being installed with durable steam pipes insulated to prevent injuries when using.
It also features a rotary button and a four-way adjustment button. This makes the machine remove the wrinkles easily and fast, sterilize the garments and leave some deodorants on the steamed garments.
This machine is ideal for ironing different types of linens such as curtains, sofas designed suing cotton and silk.
- When buying any machine, you have to know the advantages and disadvantage when using. The Kazoo garment steamer has many advantages. First, you get it with several accessories such as fabric brush, ironing brush, clothes hanger, telescopic pole and triangle collar press pads.
- The machine can detect when there is no water, thus it can power off to prevent destructions
- For safety, it is fitted with a thermal fuse for extra protection and a thermostat for regulating the heat produced.
- One setback seen when using this garment steamer is the inability to remove wrinkles on jeans no matter the settings made.
- One needs to be cautious as it can spit hot water, which can burn the user. It is not a cheap machine for everyone.
Is This A Great Purchase?
The Kazoo 1580W/91 Large Capacity Steamer is a great purchase because it can be used to clean almost any type of garment. It comes with extra accessories that make your steaming job easy. For the first time users, it is easy to install and requires less space when storing.
How does the clothes steamer work?
A steamer consists of a metal rod that is generally long. It also has a heating element and a water tank, and has a rubber hose with an attached brush to take off lint and hair from the fabric. Water is poured into the tank and boiled until it turns into vapor. The rubber hose is then used to apply steam to the wrinkled fabric in delicate sweeping motions. Garments are normally hung from a rod or a hanger to apply the steam evenly. The smaller versions of the steamers have water tanks attached directly to blowers without any connecting rods or hoses for ease of transportation.
The time it takes to even out clothes and remove wrinkles largely depends on the type of fabric that needs to be smoothed and the number of wrinkles it has. For instance, dense fabrics like polyester and denim will require longer time to remove wrinkles than relatively less dense fabrics like linen and cotton. Porous fabrics can be made wrinkle-free within a few minutes, while the denser varieties take much longer.
The heat generated by the steamer as well as the strength of the stream of steam it produces determines the time taken to smooth out fabrics. Portable steamers have lesser wattage heaters than the heavier varieties, and take longer to loosen bonds in the fabric. The amount of steam produced is dependent on the size of the water tank, and larger tanks produce more steam. A steamer with a large tank can thus be used for multiple garments. Some of them can take upwards of 15 minutes to generate the right amount of steam, while others take longer. This is an important factor to consider when selecting a product. Another feature is the steam temperature. The higher the temperature, the easier will it be to even out stubborn and resistant wrinkles. Higher wattage of steamers determine their capacity to generate more heat and steam temperature, but that may not always be true since sometimes higher wattage just uses up more electricity without doing the job efficiently.
Iron versus clothes steamer
The choice of using a clothes steamer or an iron is solely a personal decision. Ironing clothes gives them that crispness and sharpness, while a steamer makes the clothes wrinkle free. The choice of a steamer or iron is also dependent on the fabric to be handled. An iron flattens creases and wrinkles, while a steamer soothes out and relaxes the fabric. With a steamer, there is absolutely no chance that the fabric will be scorched or burnt as may happen with a hot iron. Steaming is also a gentler way to treat satin, silk, velvet and wool that are difficult to iron anyway.
It also helps in increasing the life of delicate fabrics. Car upholstery, drapes and leather products can also be treated by steamers with ease. Sometimes, bakers use steamers to attach decorative icings to their baked products and prevent cakes from getting stuck on the baking pans.
Why do we need to get the best clothes steamer?
We need to get the best clothes steamer to obtain best results. It will be relatively easy to handle, heat up fast enough, be of compact size, be able to remove wrinkles quickly and should be faster than ironing, yet come at a reasonable moderate price. It should also be safe to use, and be durable and sturdy to last long. Purchasing the best clothes steamer is a one-time investment, and needs to be done judiciously after considering various factors. There are various models available, with some having control panels to select the duration of steam to be applied to the fabric depending on its type, while some models have built-in hangers and are collapsible to save space. The choice again depends on personal preference and requirement.
Selecting the right clothes steamer
When purchasing a clothes steamer, its intended use is a major deciding factor. The portable ones are compact models, and are suitable for people who travel a lot or need to attend meetings and conferences at short notice. They are easier to carry and can be packed easily, but do not have the capability to generate sufficient steam at a high temperature to do the work effectively. They just do the job, and ensure a decent, if not great work. If ‘on-the-go’ is not the criterion for selecting a steamer, then one that is sufficiently compact yet offers a stream of steam that is hot, continuous and strong is more preferable. These steamers are available in the 800-watt power range, though lower capacity brands like the Jiffy eSteam at 600 watts does the job equally effectively.
The water tank of the steamer is an important thing to look at when deciding a compact portable model. A smaller tank means more numbers of refills. The opening for filling water into the tank needs to be wide enough not to make refilling a messy task, with water pouring outside and wetting other clothes. The voltage availability on the steamer should be adaptable to the country of travel for people planning to visit overseas, and versions of the steamers of the dual voltage variation are preferable over the conventional single voltage models.
The home clothes steamers are often medium in size, but they have similar selection criteria like the portable ones. These steamers often have an inbuilt hanger with rollers, and have a larger water tank with a higher wattage heater to generate more steam at higher temperatures. These are often user friendly, and can be used by a single person with ease.
The larger clothes steamers are purchased more often by designers and dry cleaners, and have the capacity to hold a gallon of water in their tanks with a power rating of 1500 watts or more. These steamers have similar selection criteria like the portable and home varieties.
What are the specifications for selecting clothes steamers?
There are two types of steamers, the portable ones and the home/industrial ones. When selecting the home variety that handles more clothes and a larger variety of fabrics than the portable one, the following specifications and features are important considerations prior to purchase:
Wattage of the steamer denotes power. A higher wattage unit will enable the steamer to heat the water in the reservoir quicker. Added power also enables improvement in the output of steam to allow steaming a larger quantity and large variety of clothes. Removing wrinkles from denims may be a tougher task for low wattage steamers though.
Capacity of reservoir
The amount of water stored in the reservoir determines the duration of the steaming process and the number of garments that can be steamed. This is important when a large quantity of clothes needs to be steamed.
Time to heat up
This is important for people who are not ready to wait much to steam their garments. When choosing a steamer, the published heat up time needs to be noted. The latest models offer steam within a minute.
Time to steam
The reservoir size of the tank and the wattage of the unit determines the time required to steam. A larger wattage ensures a lesser time to heat, but then it dries up the water reservoir faster. To balance the two, a larger reservoir with high wattage needs to be selected to reduce the time to steam, yet not dry up the reservoir soon enough.
If the steamer needs to be moved from one corner of the room to another, it needs to be portable. The dimensions of the steamer as well as its weight are deciding factors. If portability is an issue, the steamers may be selected for their mountings like wheels or slides as well.
The steamer should easily be able to be stored. Some steamers have hangers inside them to hang clothes when steaming, thus making them taller. Some of these steamers are also collapsible for ease of storage. Most of them are narrow, and can be stored in a corner of a room. Before purchasing a steamer, it is important to decide where it will be stored.
Length of cord
Length of cord is an important factor to determine the proximity of the steamer to the power source. If sufficient plug points are unavailable, a longer cord is essential to do steaming efficiently. Extension cords are not recommended for high-powered devices like the clothes steamer, and they are best avoided.
Other than the above essential specifications and characteristics, the following are some of the features that are also considered when selecting the right one.
- Garment hanger. Some of the latest models of steamers come with garment hangers to hang garments within them. This obviates the need to hang them elsewhere, like on a door frame or within a closet.
- Lint that is exposed when ironing can be removed with a fabric brush, and some new steamer models come with such brushes.
- Warranty by the manufacturer and its duration needs to be noted carefully, since a longer warranty period ensures lesser maintenance expenses. The steamers come with a warranty ranging from 90 days to 5 years, though a period of one year or more is optimal.
Clothes steamers are not only saviors for garments, they also keep upholstery and drapes looking clean and great around the house. So before selecting the right one, suitability of the steamer for its desired use needs to be kept in mind. The choice is between steamers that are of the standing variety, travel steamers and the handheld ones. The standing steamers are most common and are normally used in homes and laundries, while the travel and handheld varieties are suitable for people with low budgets or who travel a lot.
If used within the US, steamers need to operate at 120 volts, but if used outside, a dual voltage steamer is the preferred choice. If traveling outside the States, an adapter is essential to carry along with for plugging the steamer to the power socket whose layout may differ from the adapter supplied with the steamer. Size and weight are also important considerations to determine location and portability of the steamer.
The grip of the steamer needs to be comfortable for ease of steaming and when used for long periods. It is always advisable to check the grip and see if it is comfortable before buying one. Grips of the foldable variety are better than the fixed ones since damage in transit is avoided as well as injury to persons walking around it and interference with movement around its vicinity if it juts out from the body of the steamer.
The length of the cord is another essential feature to look at. A longer cord provides easier accessibility to upholstered furniture and window drapes. This avoids in moving the steamer or the items around. Auto power cut off is also an important feature in case water is not refilled in the tank before it dries out. This avoids the unit from getting overheated, and cuts off power to the steamer after it crosses a predetermined temperature.
The water tank needs to be of adequate capacity, and is basically dependent on the need of the steamer. A larger reservoir means uninterrupted steaming without repeated water refills. Ease of refilling the tank should also be checked out, and a removable tank that can take in water from a tap in the kitchen and has a large opening is preferred over the fixed variety.
Steamers that have thermal insulation to avoid burns to people handling them are also preferred over the non-insulated ones. During their use, steamers will get heated since they operate on the principle of generating sufficient heat to form steam, so purchasing one with proper thermal insulation is also an essential factor to consider.