No one likes dirty grout, you need a grout cleaner. But which one?
The problem with choosing a grout cleaner is that you don’t know whether it is going to work on your tiles. There are so many products that it is hard to choose!
The interactive table of grout cleaners below and the analysis the follows will help you decide the best grout cleaner for you. We all have our own personal requirements on what makes a good grout cleaner, and so we’re here to help.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Grout Cleaner To Buy In 2020 Reviews
- 1. Grout Sensation Tile and Grout Cleaner Review
- 2. Tilelab Grout and Tile Cleaner Review
- 3. Black Diamond Ultimate Grout Cleaner Review
- 4. Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener Review
- 5. Sheiner’s Stone and Tile Cleaner
- Grout Cleaner Buyers Guide
- How to Choose a Grout Cleaner
- Types of Grout Cleaners
- Grout Cleaning Safety
Top 5 Best Grout Cleaner To Buy In 2020 Reviews
1. Grout Sensation Tile and Grout Cleaner Review
Grout Sensation Tile and Grout Cleaner is a very popular grout cleaner at the moment. It is featured in television commercials and has many positive reviews around the internet. The reason I think that it’s so popular (besides it’s slightly cheesy name) is that it is a strong acid based grout cleaner. Acid grout cleaners “just work” and require little scrubbing. Few people want to spend a lot of time scrubbing grout and want a quick fix.
Grout Sensation will do the job, but care is need. Being a strong acid based cleaner it can etch delicate tiles and grout. This is not a risk for some people, but will really matter to those few people that it does effect.
It is manufactured in the USA by the USA Chemical Corporation that focuses solely on tile cleaning products, which is a good sign. I recommend Grout Sensation as a good all round cleaner for most common bathroom and kitchen grout cleaning situations. It’s moderately priced and effective, what more do you need?
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
Firstly, the product is made by USA Chemical Corporation who have a homepage straight from 1995 and is just as cheesy as the product name “Grout Sensation”. They look like an American company, which is good and they seem to focus on chemical cleaners, another good sign.
Grout Sensation Tile and Grout Cleaner comes in a 1 quart (32 ounce) screw-top bottle. Like the other cleaning products I review, this is only for cleaning grout and is described as being suitable for ceramic and porcelain tiles.
Reading the data sheet highlights that the product is acid based. It is 3-6% phosphoric acid and less than 2% hydrochloric acid. Remember your grout cleaning safety tips!
Using Grout Sensation Tile and Grout Cleaner is a straightforward affair, but remember to always read the labelling yourself.
- You can pour the cleaner from the bottle directly. It will be a lot easier to use if you first pour it into another container such as a pump sprayer or an old mustard or sauce container.
- Apply to the grout directly, start with a small area say 2×2 tiles and build up your confidence with the product before expanding out into 5×5 or 10×10 tiles.
- Grout Sensation will bubble and foam on the grout (this is the acid doing its thing) and will loosen the dirt, mold and mildew from the grout. Wait approximately 20-30 seconds for the acid to do it’s work.
- You may want to lightly scrub the area with a grout brush in areas that are particularly dirty.
- Wipe away the the cleaned area with a damp cloth or sponge.
- Once you finish an area, mop with clean water. A second mop wouldn’t hurt.
- If you have cleaned your grout recently and are looking to just freshen it up you can create a diluted mixture of 4 parts water to 1 part Grout Sensation and follow the procedure above.
- If you your grout is already cleaned and you want to keep it that way, add one cup of Grout Sensation to a bucket of water and mop the whole floor. Then mop again with clean water.
It’s not the cheapest grout cleaner out there (but who wants that!), nor is it the most expensive. It’s quite moderately priced by my reckoning.
Note that it is an acid based grout cleaner. It will dissolve through most grout seals to get down to the grouting to do it’s job. Nevertheless, it is good for colored grouting and is claimed to not bleach it white like some other grout cleaners.
It’s acid based and if you have stone based tiles, you will have alarms going off. This is not a product for granite or marble. Neither is it a product that can be used on steel, wood or glass. Take note.
It does have a slightly spamming name which I guess helps with late night infomercials. It’s a trend I’ve noticed, oh well, as long as it works.
There are no special tools and no waiting a long time for the cleaner to work. This why it is so popular and highly rated, it’s simple, it meets most peoples needs and it works. It’s hard to argue with that.
An average house would get by with one bottle or more per year, depending on how dirty your grout gets (how many pets and children you have!). It’s a popular product online, but also in hotels, with the marketing literature claiming to be popular in major hotels across North America.
2. Tilelab Grout and Tile Cleaner Review
The TileLab Grout and Tile Cleaner Spray Bottle is made by Custom Building Products based in California that specialise in flooring products in general. This is a different cleaner that does not include any strong acid or bleach ingredients.
This grout cleaner may require more scrubbing than some others and also requires a small wait for the active ingredients to lift the grim out of the grout.
A benefit of Tilelab Grout and Tile Cleaner is that it is low in Volatile Organic Compounds and is a biodegradable formula. This means that it better for the environment than some other chemical cleaners. It also has a pleasant citrus scent.
This cleaner is suitable for those that are a little worried about their more delicate tiles and grouting and do not want to use strong bleach or acid based cleaners. It is also suitable for those who want something that is slightly friendlier to the environment.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
Tilelab is made by the company Custom Building Products that have a range of tile and flooring products not limited to cleaners. Grout cleaning products is a part of their business, not their whole business like some others, but they are floor specialists.
The product comes in two sizes, a 1 quart (32 ounce) spray bottle and a 1 gallon (128 ounce) bottle. As you may know, I really cleaners that come in the pump spray bottles as you don’t have to transfer the cleaner yourself into another bottle before using it. The large 1 gallon bottle can also be used as a refill for the pump bottle.
You can also purchase a 3 pack of spray bottles which can be useful if you have a few targeted jobs, such as cleaning up after a tent has left. More companies should offer multi-pack bottle packages with discounts I say.
One more thing on the product description, the company seems to change their packaging now and then. I don’t know if they are doing marketing experiments or there are different resellers involved, but sometimes the packaging is blue and yellow, other times orange, and sometimes all blue. Don’t be too surprised if you get a bottle with a slightly different coloured label than the one pictured.
Always read the label of you cleaning product before using, they put instruction on there for a reason. To use Tilelab, assuming you have the pump spray bottle
- Spray onto your grout. Start with a small area suchs as a 2×2 tile square and then move up to a large 5×5 or 10×10 as you get used to the cleaner.
- Wait about 5 minutes for the active ingredients to work on the grout and lift the dirt.
- Scrub lightly with a grout brush on those really bad areas.
- Wipe away with a damp cloth or grout sponge
- Mop the area with clean water.
Tilelab is a non-abrasive and non-acidic grout cleaner that works on tiles, grout, glass, chrome and laminates.
The packaging claims that it cuts grease which is a feature that few grout cleaners claim, but in my experience I typically do not have trouble with grease in my grouting, it more stains in the kitchens and mildew and mold in bathrooms. I suspect the reference to grease may be for kitchens with counter splashbacks near stoves that might throw off grease.
Finally, it has a citrus scent, which is a useful benefit meaning that you do not have to spray air freshener after your cleaning project to clear up any chemical odors (if you like citrus).
Tip: Have a good supply of grout cleaning brushes on hand. I recommend at least 2 or 3 depending on the size of your cleaning project.
Like most general purpose grout cleaners, this product is not for stone tiles. If you have stone tiles like marble or granite, consider a more specialised product.
This is a good grout cleaner for those that don’t mind a little scrubbing and do want to use a more abrasive acid-based cleaner. It is positively reviewed for those looking for something a little more environmentally friendly and don’t mind a little elbow grease. It also has a pleasant citrus scent.
3. Black Diamond Ultimate Grout Cleaner Review
In this post I want to review the Black Diamond Ultimate Grout Cleaner product. This is a cleaner that I heard of a while ago and I’ve been keen to discuss. I note that there are at least two related products from Black Diamond, and they are the Ready To Use grout cleaner or RTU and the concentrate grout cleaner. In this post we are concerned with the Ready To Use Grout Cleaner product.
The manufacture for Ultimate Grout Cleaner RTU is Black Diamond Stoneworks. They were founded in 1997 and produce a range of 30 cleaning and sealing products for stone and ceramic tiles.
There are a few key points you notice about this product right off the bat. It comes in a 32 ounce (1 quart) pump spray bottle. I’m found of these bottles for their of application of the grout cleaner.
Also, the this product is acid free. As soon as I read they I think bleach. Interestingly, this product has a trick up it’s sleeve. It actually includes a weak base (Monoethanolamine) and a solvent (Dipropylene Glycol Butyl Ether) as the active ingredients.
As with all cleaning products, please make sure you read and fully understand the directions on the label before using. The general direction to use this product are as follows:
- Spray the cleaner on your grout using the pump spray bottle.
- Let the cleaner sit on the grout for 1 to 3 minutes.
- Scrub lightly with a grout brush on difficult stains and particularly difficult areas.
- Wipe away the cleaner from the grout with a damp cloth or grout sponge.
- Mop the area thoroughly with fresh clean water.
Black Diamond Ultimate Grout Cleaner is not an acid or a bleach based product and is safe to use on both white and colored grout.
I also note that the product has a slight sterile smell. Nothing offensive, but noticeable.
Black Diamond Ultimate Grout Cleaner is a deep clean product rather than an everyday grout cleaner.
Given that it doesn’t use strong acid or bleaches, it is a great product for those that are concerned about damaging polish or delicate grout.
4. Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener Review
Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener is another one of those grout cleaners that seems to pop up everywhere and I can tell you exactly why that is.
The Zep Grout Cleaner is a little faceless. It belongs to a brand called Zep Commercial which in turn belongs to Zep Incorporated and I’m sure that is not the end of the story. The home page talks about all the myriad of cleaning products that the company (brand) sells. There is reference to Atlanta, Georgia and that may be the location of the organization head office.
Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener is a detergent and acid based cleaner and if you are a regular reader you will know what that means! It explains the popularity and it means that it is bleach free (a fact that is advertised). The acids used in this cleaner as described in the MSDS are hydrochloric acid and hydrogen chloride.
It comes in a 32 ounce (1 quart) bottle that has a applicator nozzle on the top. The liquid grout cleaner has a sassafras scent.
Always read the direction on the bottle of any cleaning product before using. This is very important. General directions for using Zep are as follows:
- Wear gloves and safety eye wear. This is an acid based cleaner, and you need to take care of your skin, eyes and clothes.
- Apply the grout cleaner to the grout only. The bottle comes with a nozzle so that you can pour it into the grout. The bottle is large and heavy (1 quart!) so take it slow and steady, or consider transferring some liquid into another bottle for easy application.
- Start with a small area, such as a 2×2 square, and then graduate to a 5×5 or 10×10 as you increase your confidence with the product.
- Let the liquid set in the grout for 2-3 minutes.
- The acid will eat the tiny surface of the grout and loosen the dirt, grime and mold which should become loose.
- You may need to scrub lightly at difficult stains with a grout brush.
- Wipe the cleaner away with a damp cloth or grout sponge.
- Mop the area with clean water to remove the cleaning product.
Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener is an acid based cleaner, it means it does not contain any bleach and it can be used safely on colored grout. It has a pleasant sassafras scent. More cleaners should have a scent, especially the strong ones.
Zep is a chemically strong product, like all serious cleaning products, make sure you have good ventilation and take breaks so that you do not exert yourself.
There are many positive comments about Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener, people really like the product. The reason is simple, because it is so easy to use: pour it on and wipe it off. This is the benefit of all acid based grout cleaners and this Zep is no exception.
5. Sheiner’s Stone and Tile Cleaner
This cleaner is non-acidic which makes it a great choice for different surfaces in the home. This includes those which are most susceptible to damage. The content of the cleaner does not include chemicals and substances like ammonia and bleach. It also has a great scent.
The cleaner is non-toxic which makes it safe for use around your pets and children. It is also biodegradable so there is little to worry about with the cleaner’s effects on your environment.
There are a lot of surfaces where this cleaner can easily be applied without too many issues which include granite, slate, concrete, ceramic, marble, limestone, porcelain, as well as non-porcelain tiles. Similarly, the cleaner is quite useful on bathroom surfaces since there is no smell and also because it doesn’t leave any residue or streak after each use.
The device’s deep cleaning nature, coupled with the need for just a small quantity to clean on a regular basis, makes this worthy of our list.
- It has a non-chemical content which makes it great for use in homes with pets or children
- This single formula works on different types of floor surfaces
- Great deep cleaning quality
- Suitable for tiles with sealant at the top
- Some users do not find the cleaner very effective
Grout Cleaner Buyers Guide
Do you have an idea of what the best grout cleaner is? Leave a comment.