Having ice in your home has become a common necessity. In most cases, people would buy ice from the grocery store and still be forced to keep it in the freezer so that it does not melt. However, that is now a thing of the past since you can easily make ice in just a matter of minutes. Click here to see our #1 pick on Amazon.com
There are quite a number of portable ice makers that been introduced into the market and you can make ice in less than 6 minutes. The portable ice makers were introduced in the market so as to solve the problem of having to rush to the stores to buy ice or wait for the ice cubes to form in your freezer. The main advantage with the portable ice makers is the fact that they are very light and this makes it easy to move them from one place to another. The design and dimensions makes the ice makers to fit on any countertop without any struggle.
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Portable Ice Makers on the market
- Features of Portable Ice Makers
- Parts of Portable Ice Makers
- Top 5 Portable Ice Maker Reviews
- 1. Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb Ice Maker
- 2. EdgeStar portable stainless steel ice maker
- 3. Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S portable ice maker
- 4. NewAir AI-100R 28-pound portable ice maker
- 5. Ivation portable high capacity ice maker
- How Does the Portable Ice Maker Work?
- Benefits of Using Portable Ice Markers
- Top Portable Ice Maker Brands Reviews
- How to Choose a Suitable Portable Ice Marker
- Tips When Buying a Portable Ice Maker
- Storage Capacity
- Maintenance Required
- Ice Cubes Produced
- Production Rate
- Type of Display
- FAQs – Portable Ice Makers
- Basic User Guide, Installation and Maintenance
Top 3 Portable Ice Makers on the market
Features of Portable Ice Makers
- There are light indicators or an alarm system, which will mainly notify you when you need to add water to the tank or when the ice bin is full.
- You can make ice in a matter of minutes with most cycles lasting between 6 and 15 minutes.
- Most ice makers will produce 9 to 12 ice cubes in a single cycle.
- There is a removable ice tray and an ice scoop, which are specifically meant to empty the ice when it is ready.
- The automatic overflow protection safeguards the machine from any potential damage that may be cause by ice over flowing and as such it stops the machine when the ice bin is full.
* Special Feature
In recent technologies, most portable ice makers have a self-cleaning function, which is very useful in keeping the machine clean.
Parts of Portable Ice Makers
There are so many parts, which make up the ice maker and allow it to function. Here are the main parts and their functions:
- Water Reservoir: This is simply the water tank, where the water will be poured into for purposes of making ice.
- Ice Bucket: This is referred to as the ice tray or ice bin in some models. This is where all the produced ice will collect. You should empty the ice as soon as the bucket is full.
- Drain: The purpose of the drain is to carry away any water that may spill from the machine.
- Lid: This is the cover of the ice maker, which will protect any pieces from being thrown out of the machine during the process.
- Control Panel: This has all the buttons to operate the machine as well as the display system, which indicates the progress of the ice maker.
Top 5 Portable Ice Maker Reviews
In order to help you making your buying decision easier, we have narrowed down to the top rated portable ice makers in the market. Here are the top 5 ice makers currently in the market:
- EdgeStar IP210SS portable ice maker
- Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S portable ice maker
- NewAir AI-100R 28-pound ice maker
- Ivation portable ice maker
- Sunpentown IM-101 portable ice maker
1. Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb Ice Maker
It can be really annoying having to rush back to the store every time you need ice. This has been solved by the introduction of the Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb ice maker. This is an innovative ice making machine which is portable and can fit on top of any countertop. You can make 9 ice cubes in a span of 7 minutes, which is quite a short time. You will just need water, select the ice sizes that you require and you will have your ice in no time. There is an ice scooper which is essential in scooping the ice from the ice tray to your lemonade, juice, cocktails, iced tea and so many other beverages.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
With the Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb ice maker, you will be able to make about 27 pounds of ice in a day. There are three different ice sizes, which you can choose from, with the ice storage being able to handle a couple of pounds of ice. There is a light which will indicate when the storage is full and requires to be emptied and when to fill up the water reservoir. This appliance is light and you can easily carry around. For most ice lovers, the Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb ice maker is among the top-rates ice makers and there is so much value placed on it. This is a necessary accessory in any kitchen, at home or even in the office setting.
- The Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb ice maker has a stainless steel finish, which makes it fit uniquely in any kitchen space.
- The ice maker has the ability to make up to 27 pounds of ice in a given day, with a single cycle taking about 7 minutes.
- It comes with an exterior drain and a see-through window. This will drain out any excessive water to prevent any mess.
- There are 9 ice cubes made in a single cycle.
- The Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb ice maker has light indicators, which are part of the alert system. These lights will indicate when the ice storage has maximum capacity and also when you need to refill the water in the reservoir.
- The control panel is simple, but effective. This is what makes it easy to operate this machine.
- There are 3 ice sizes to choose from, which is a great advantage.
- You can make about 27 pounds of ice in a span of 24 hours, with each cycle running for about 7 minutes and there will be 9 ice cubes produced in every batch.
- The Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb ice maker has an easy-to-use touchpad, with relevant light indicators for selection of ice size, power, add water and so on.
- The ice maker has an in-built water drain, which will replenish the water and make fresh ice.
- It has a compact size, which makes it portable and can be setup on any countertop.
- The machine is ETL-approved, which is a great advantage.
- There are several consumers who have consistently complained that the machine is quite noisy when it is running.
- There are instances where the machine has stopped working after a few cycles.
- There is no constant supply of water since the machine does not have a direct water line connection.
- In some cases, the Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb ice maker takes longer to make a single cycle of ice cubes.
2. EdgeStar portable stainless steel ice maker
The EdgeStar ice maker has the ability to make 28 pounds of ice in 24 hours. A single cycle takes about 10 minutes to complete and in this time you will have 9 ice cubes. The ice maker has a 1 gallon water reservoir, with an ice bucket that can hold 2 pounds of ice at a go. This means that you will always have fresh ice on your machine. The machine comes with a setting to select three different sizes and this means you will have 3 ice cubes that you can choose from.
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
- The control panel is electronic and has controls that are easy to use. This simplifies the operation of this machine.
- A single cycle takes about 10 minutes and produces 12 ice cubes
- The EdgeStar IP210SS has an ice bin that can store up to 2 pounds of ice at any given time
- Make 28 pounds of ice in a span of 24 hours, meaning you will have fresh ice anytime that you need it.
- The water tank in the ice maker is so large that it can take in one gallon of water at a go.
- You can select from the three sizes of ice that the machine provides. All you need to do is adjust the settings to get your preferred size.
- The stainless steel wrapping makes this ice maker more durable that the other similar machine.
- You can produce approximately 8 pounds of ice on any given day
- There are three different ice cube sizes to choose from.
- The EdgeStar IP210SS has electronic controls with an LED display, which allows you to clearly see what option to select.
- The water drained is taken back to the water tank to be recycled and produce fresh ice.
- It does not use too much power and this makes it efficient in as far as power consumption is concerned.
- Since it has the stainless steel color, it can blend in easily with anything and will not appear to be out of place.
- You will produce ice in a very short period since it only takes about 10 minutes to complete a single batch of ice.
- There have been several users who complain of a foul smell when they start using this machine during its first days.
- The ice also tastes rather bad in those first days due to the stench that it has. However, this does not happen in all machines.
- The ice usually melts away pretty fast and this forces you to keep producing the ice.
- In some instances, it seems not to work to full potential and may produce watery ice.
3. Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S portable ice maker
Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S can generate 9 ice cubes in a single cycle and this takes about 6 minutes. You will be able to produce 26 pounds of ice in a span of 24 hours. This machine has an automatic overflow protection, which will safeguard your computer from any spills of ice that melts away. There are two ice sizes to choose from and you can make ice in large volumes in just a matter of minutes.
Our Rating: (4.0 / 5)
- This ice maker has the capacity to produce 26 pounds of ice in a day.
- A single cycle takes between 6 to 13 minutes, with 9 cubes of ice being produced within this time.
- The control panel has LED indicators and easy-touch buttons, which makes it easy to operate the machine. The light indicators are part of the alarm system and will notify you on when to empty the ice bin and when the water tank needs more water.
- The Avalon Bay AB-ICE26B Portable ice maker has a drain attached at the bottom and makes cleaning easy.
- The machine has 2-ice settings, giving you the option between small and large ice cubes, which are in the form of a bullet shape.
- The overflow flow protection system works automatically and this prevents spills from the machine, which may cause it to malfunction.
- The finish on the machine seems to match any type of home décor and blends in with most color schemes.
- In the event that the ice is not used and is left in the tray, it melts down and is taken back to the water tank to make fresh ice.
- Make ice in just a matter of minutes since a single cycle takes only 6 minutes. A single cycle will produce 9 ice cubes.
- The ice is quite tasty and has a crunchy feel in the mouth due to its texture.
- The compact size of the Avalon Bay AB-ICE26B makes it possible to place it on any countertop, without worrying so much about the space issue.
- It only weighs 21.4 pounds, and as such you can easily carry around and use it, as long as there is a power source.
- Most consumers say that the ice cubes are rather watery and not as cold as they would prefer.
- There have been a number of complaints in regards to the machine breaking down just after a couple of months.
- Lack of self-cleaning system is a huge limitation for most consumers as they have to keep cleaning the machine manually.
4. NewAir AI-100R 28-pound portable ice maker
The NewAir AI-100R 28-pound ice maker is a compact ice maker that weighs 24.3 pounds and has the ability to produce 28 pounds of ice in a day. It has a freestanding design which will make it easy to set it up. There are electronic controls, which have easy-touch buttons and an LED display. You can make 9 ice cubes in a span of 15 minutes and the ice tray is removable, which makes it easy to empty the ice.
- The NewAir AI-100R 28-pound portable ice maker has a freestanding and compact design, which makes it easy to set it up.
- It comes with electronic controls, with easy-touch buttons for purposes of operation.
- You will enjoy making lots of ice as the machine has the capacity to produce about 28 pounds of ice in a day.
- A single batch is produced within 15 minutes. In a single cycle, there will be 9 ice cubes that are bullet-shaped.
- The automatic overflow protection prevents overfilling and blockage of the system. It will automatically shut off when it is full to capacity.
- The ice bin is removable and this makes it easy to empty the ice cubes that have been made.
- There is a drain that is mounted on the side, which makes it easy to clean the system.
- There is an LED display on the ice maker, which is backlit.
- There is a self-cleaning system that will maintain the ice maker and prevent any damages that may be caused by accumulation of dirt.
- The blue LCD display is easy to read and as such you are able to get alerts easily.
- Make ice cubes that are in different sizes from small to the large ones.
- The NewAir AI-215R red portable ice maker has a removable bin, which makes it easy to dispense the ice from the machine.
- The see through window allows the user to enjoy optimal viewing.
- You will be able to make 50 pounds of ice using this machine in just 24 hours.
- The NewAir AI-215R red portable ice maker has an 18-hour timer, which you can easily program to suit your needs
- The manufacturer provides and one year warranty on this ice maker.
- The price is little high
- Some people complaint that they don’t like the ice melts in the storage bin
5. Ivation portable high capacity ice maker
With the Ivation portable, you will have 3 different ice cube sizes to choose from and it will only take about 6 minutes to complete a single cycle. The removable ice tray will allow you to remove the ice from the ice bin easily. This is one of the top rated machines due to the innovative high efficiency compressor refrigerator.
Our Rating: (3.8 / 5)
- The Ivation portable ice maker has an oriented design, which is sleek and integrates amazing features.
- There are 3 different sizes of ice cubes, which you can easily select
- It comes with a removable ice tray, which allows you to transfer the ice easily from the ice maker.
- The Ivation portable ice maker has an innovative technology for compressor refrigeration. This will facilitate the process of making ice cubes.
- There is a clear LCD display, with easy to push buttons for purposes of operating the machine.
- The machine has an automatic timer, which is programmable and also comprises of essential alerts.
- The ice storage capacity is 2.2 pounds and has a water reservoir that holds 2.8 liters of water.
- The backlit LCD display clear and easy to read. This makes it possible to operate the machine without much difficulty.
- There is a modern compressor, refrigeration technology, which facilitates efficient ice making.
- The smart alerts will notify the user on when to empty the ice tray and refill the water tank using a beeping alarm.
- There are three different sizes of ice settings, which give this machine an edge over most of the other ice makers, which provide only two options to choose from.
- There is an easy-to-use programmable timer, which allows you to set when the machine starts and stops, based on your needs.
- For some of the users, the alarm system on this machine can be annoying, with the continuous beeps.
- There are instances, where the ice maker has been reported to be unresponsive when one wants to turn it on or off.
- The pump is easy to break, with most of users complaining about its failure in barely four months.
- The fact that the lid is not insulated causes the ice to melt very fast when the ice maker is off.
How Does the Portable Ice Maker Work?
Here are some easy steps that you can follow when using your ice maker:
- Assemble all the relevant parts and set up your ice maker in your preferred location.
- Fill up the water tank and then connect the machine to the power outlet.
- Select the preferred ice sizes that you want to make and set the timer, if you have the option.
- Allow six or so minutes and then empty your ice tray using the scoop provided for most models.
Benefits of Using Portable Ice Markers
- Unlike the ordinary ice trays, you will be able to produce ice in a fast manner. You can have your ice ready in about ten minutes and get about 30 pounds of ice.
- The ice makers come with settings to produce different ice sizes and this will allow you to have customized ice that can suit your occasions in the best ways possible.
- The compact design of the ice makers makes it possible to store it anywhere on your kitchen countertop or even the living room with the appliances that you have.
- Most of these portable ice makers are made from stainless steel and this allows it to last for a long period of time. The stainless steel is free from any rust and is long lasting.
- Make as much as 30 pounds of ice in a single day.
- You can have a single batch of ice made in less than 10 minutes and, in this time you will have at least 9 pieces of ice.
- There is an automatic overflow protection on most of these ice makers and this will prevent the melting ice from spilling on the other parts of the machine.
- The control panel is easy to read and this makes it very simple to operate the machine and produce ice anywhere.
- There are lighted indicators on most of the ice makers, which serve as the alarm system to inform you when you need to empty the ice or refill water in the water reservoir.
- The dimensions of the portable ice makers will make it easy to install it anywhere as it fit on any countertop, without much of a problem.
- Most consumers complain that these portable ice makers breakdown easily, just after a couple of months of use.
- There have been cases of the ice makes producing a bad stench on the first days of use and this also affects the taste of the ice cubes.
- Some of the ice makers are hard to clean since they lack a self-cleaning mechanism.
- There are instances where the ice produce is watery and melts away easily.
FAQs – Portable Ice Makers
Basic User Guide, Installation and Maintenance
When you buy your portable ice maker, it has a user manual, which will provide details on how to use it. Ideally, all you need is to set it up, with most of them not requiring permanent installation. In most cases, these ice makers use standard power outlet, so you do not have to worry about that. Once you set it up, add water to the reservoir, select the ice size sizes and start your machine. Within a couple of minutes, you will have your ice in the ice tray ready for use.
Generally speaking, the portable ice makers are a great revolution that has joined the appliances market. This will save you the numerous trips that have to make to the grocery store to buy ice. There are so many brands that have come into the market and this might confuse many consumers. The pointers mentioned above are aimed at making this process easier for the ordinary consumer.