One of the most important tools that you can have if you work with wood is a biscuit joiner. Also called a plate joiner, this tool is essential for those that want to join two pieces of wood together.
Most biscuit joiners will also offer you with a fence system. This allows you to make angled cuts in the wood, while being able to see how deep the cut is. This feature is especially useful for those who build furniture, door panels, table tops and furniture backs. Listed below are some of the best biscuit joiner you will find on the market right now.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Biscuit Joiner Reviews
- 1. Porter-Cable 557 7 Amp Plate Joiner Kit
- 2. DeWalt DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner
- 3. TruePower 01-0102 Biscuit Plate Joiner with Carbide Tipped Blade
- 4. Makita PJ7000 Plate Joiner
- 5. Lamello Classic X 101600 Biscuit Joiner
- Biscuit Joiner Buying Guide
Top 5 Best Biscuit Joiner Reviews
1. Porter-Cable 557 7 Amp Plate Joiner Kit
The Porter-Cable 557 is by far one of the best biscuit joiners you will find right now. It has an immense amount of power, and exceptional plunge accuracy. It provides you with these things regardless of whether you use the base or the fence for reference. The blade rotates at an impressive 10,000 RPM, and can handle a large variety of woods.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Very accurate and powerful
- High rotation rate means that it can cut through anything
- Switching blades is very simple
- Storage spot located on the body of the joiner for blades you are using
- You may need plastic adapters when cutting boards narrower than 3 ¾ in
- Dust collection may be a little tricky as the chute is very small
Whether you are an amateur or a professional carpenter, this is one of the best joiners you will find. It’s accuracy is unrivalled, and the applications are almost endless. The smaller collection chute, though an inconvenience, should not be a cause for concern.
2. DeWalt DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner
DeWalt has a long history of providing its customers with high quality equipment, and this is no exception. The DW682K is a high power, high precision joiner that is capable of rotating blades at up to 10,000 RPM.
Our Rating: (4.7 / 5)
- High powered and easy to use
- Can cut through the hardest woods with ease
- Blade and Fence allows for more accurate joints
- It is light and durable
- Mitered cuts are more difficult to make due to slipping
- Dust collection may prove to be tricky if you lose the adapters for the dust bag
This is one of the best joiners you can buy, especially if you are an amateur. At just 7 lbs., it is one of the lightest joiners around. In addition, it is also one of the easiest to operate, especially if you are making simple cuts and joints.
3. TruePower 01-0102 Biscuit Plate Joiner with Carbide Tipped Blade
The truepower 01-0102 biscuit plate joiner comes with a Tungsten carbide blade to help you cut through almost any wood. The strength of the blade is aided by the high revolution rate, which is 11,000 RPM.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Extremely strong blade that allows you to cut through almost anything
- Can cut to a depth of 0.55”
- Can operate effectively at up to 11,000 RPM
- It has a high operating volume
- The blade dulls quickly
- The fence cannot get to 90°
This is a very good joiner if you are looking for a cheap, entry level tool for your small projects. However, you should keep in mind that the fence cannot get to 90°, and that the saw blades dull quickly.
4. Makita PJ7000 Plate Joiner
This is one of the most popular joiners on the market right now. The plate cutter runs at an impressive 11,000 RPM, and can cut a variety of woods quickly and cleanly. Its vertical fence allows you to make tiny adjustments, increasing its accuracy.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
- Can deal with the most common biscuit sizes with ease
- Large cam locks for easy fence adjustments
- Large handle for an anti-slip experience
- Six depth settings for more accurate cuts
- Dust port gets clogged easily
- Heavier than most other offerings on this list
Look no further if you are looking for a Biscuit joiner to use on small to medium sized projects. However, the handling may take a little getting used to, especially if you are used to traditional joiners.
5. Lamello Classic X 101600 Biscuit Joiner
If you are looking for an innovative biscuit joiner, then the Lamello Classic is the joiner for you. This incarnation comes with a new improved base plate and 780-watt motor. The best part of this tool is the guidance system, which helps you maintain your accuracy even during tricky operations.
Our Rating: (5.0 / 5)
- New base plate, swiveling front stop, and stop square make referencing much easier
- 780-watt motor has been ergonomically designed to increase ease of use
- Guidance system helps to render accurate parallel grooves for perfect alignment
- It is more highly priced
- Sound a little like an angle grinder
The Lamello Classic is the best joiner to have for those who are looking for a high quality, durable product. It may be a little pricey, but the quality of your work soon makes you forget about expense.
Biscuit Joiner Buying Guide
Before you can even begin to shop for a biscuit joiner, it is important that you know a couple of things. These include what they are, and how you can pick the best one for your needs. Biscuit joiners have several different names, including:
- Biscuit plate joiner
- Biscuit cutter
- Wood biscuit cutter
- Plate joiner
- Biscuit tool
Regardless of what they are called, Biscuit cutters all carry out the same task. They all create slots, mouths, or biscuit joints in materials such as wood, particle board, and medium-density fibreboard.
The biscuit joiner first cuts slots into the pieces to be joined, then glue is added to inserts called biscuits. Sometimes, the glue is inserted into the slots themselves. There are numerous biscuit sizes, including #H9, #0, #10, #20, #D, #S, and #S6. However, the most common sizes are #0, #10, and #20.
Choosing a Biscuit Joiner
There are numerous factors that you must consider before you choose your next biscuit joiner. Some of these are listed below:
- Your Workload
How large is the job that you have to do? If you only have handle light tasks, then you should consider a joiner that uses a standard 4-inch blade. However, if you have a large workload, then perhaps you should consider a tool with a larger, more robust blade.
- Fence Settings
What will the tool’s fence allow you to do? Will you be able to cut flat wood of different thicknesses and cut mitred angles that are 135°? Or will you have to improvise when it comes to making joints that are larger than 45° or 90°.
- Motor Size and RPM
How large is the motor and how fast does it revolve? The larger the motor then usually the higher the revolution speed. Higher revolution speeds allow for you to cut through harder materials.
- How Many Joint Sizes Can The Tool Accommodate
As was mentioned earlier, the standard biscuit sizes are #0, #10, and #20. You need to ensure that each of the tools that you buy can at least accommodate these sizes.
Now that you know what to look for when selecting a biscuit joiner, you can make your first purchase. If you are an amateur carpenter, then you should seriously consider the Porter-Cable 557 unit, or the DeWalt DW682K. However, if you have a few extra cents in your wallet, then you should pick the Lamello Classic X unit. It may be expensive, but it does provide you with some of the best quality work.