Sump pumps are common items used where there is a basement whether it’s a home or a commercial building. They are used to pump out and remove excess water that has collected inside of the sump basin. Using them is important. Without it, water has nowhere to go but inside of the basement, where extensive damage can result.
Many types of pumps can be purchased from many different brands. It is important that the time is taken to learn more about the brands and styles before making a purchase. Taking this step will ensure that you get the best sump pumps your money can buy.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Sump Pump Reviews
- 1. GOULDS PUMPS LSP0311AT
- 2. Liberty Pumps 257 1/3-Horse Power
- 3. Basement Watchdog BW1050 Sump Pump
- 4. Zoeller 98-0001 115-Volt 1/2 Horse Power
- 5. Wayne VIP50 1/2 HP Thermoplastic Portable Electric Water Removal Pump
- Types of Sump Pumps with reviews
- 1. Pedestal Sump Pump
- 1.1. Flotec FPPM3600D-01/09 1/3 HP Pedestal Sump Pump
- 1.2. Do it Pedestal Sump Pump
- 2. Submersible Sump Pump
- 2.1. Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
- 2.2. WAYNE CDU980E 3/4 HP Sump Pump
- 2.3. Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
- 3. Portable Sump Pump
- 3.1. Zoeller 57-0001 M57 Basement High Capacity Sump Pump
- 3.2. WAYNE EEAUP250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Electric Water Removal Pump
- 3.3. Zoeller 98-0001
- Best Sump Pumps Buying Guide
- How to choose the pedestal sump pump for your house?
- Important things to consider
- Things to consider in the battery backup sump pump
- Top conditions when buying a submersible sump pump
- 4 mistakes that people make while buying a sump pump
- The top 10 FAQs about sump pumps
- In which conditions do you need a sump pump?
- How to install a sump pump correctly?
- Technical aspects you should consider to buy a best sump pump
- How to troubleshoot a sump pump which is not working properly?
- How to maintain a sump pump to make it a long term companion
Top 10 Best Sump Pump Reviews
1. GOULDS PUMPS LSP0311AT
A lot of things need to be considered when looking for an ideal sump pump to address all your domestic water pumping needs of the basement. There are different types and the challenge becomes even stiffer when the homeowner has to deal with a lot of different types of products with different features and different marketing gimmicks of the manufacturer.
The best approach is to read out the top reliable reviews of the top products and the LSP0311AT submersible pump from Gould Pumps is just one of them with superb quality and class in performance. In many types of domestic settings, this one has proved itself to be a quality option that can be used for a long time to come. The manufacturer has produced a quality but limited system and has given special consideration to the finer details.
Our Rating: (4.8 / 5)
There are a number of incredible features to talk about in this sump pump by Gould Pumps.
First of all, it is about the manufacturing of the system which is by the stainless steel material. The other types of material that are involved in the interior construction of the product are plastic and rubber which are very adequately used.
It is silver in color and has a reasonably resourceful motor of 0.33 HP. The outlet connection size is of 1.25 inches and the outlet connection type that is used is the NPRT thread with a NPT connector of course.
The overall height of the unit is 12 inches and the overall width is 7 inches which makes it a nice compact system but a reasonably powerful one for a number of needs of pumping water at home.
This electrical motor type uses 115 volts and has the upper limit of temperature to be at 104 Degree Fahrenheit.
The maximum feet of the head is 21 and the sump pump has got the ability to chuck out 36 gallons of water from the basement in one minute.
There are quite a few exciting and useful pros associated with this sump pump which are as follows:
- The performance is the main thing to look after first and this has a good quality 0.33 hp motor which is reliable to perform over a long time. It has the capacity to deal with the chucking of 36 gallons of water per minute.
- The stainless steel built of the system makes it totally corrosion or rust resistant. You can easily place it into the places where there is a frequent accumulation of water and where it has to be used on a constant basis. The body of the sum pump and the metal used in its manufacturing makes it completely resistant to corrosion caused by water and it would be a durable pump for you to use and make it a long term investment.
- The system as a whole is lightweight, easy to install, easy to service and portable. So no worries associated with it use.
- The ball bearing construction of the product at the upper and lower parts is of heavy duty material which endorses the reliability of the sump pump.
- The exceptional performance of the platform is complemented by the glass filled thermoplastic type of casing and the impeller.
The following are those cons that might be strong enough to influence your decision about this product:
- The 1/ 3 HP of motor cannot be ideal for extremely heavy rain-hit areas due to its limited capacity.
- There has been some issues find with the clogging of the limited size hose.
2. Liberty Pumps 257 1/3-Horse Power
Liberty Pumps are famous for their rugged build and dependable performance. These pumps are designed carefully keeping in mind the technical requirements of a sump pit and thus leaves no chance of failure. This model of liberty pumps is considered as “workhorse” by liberty pumps and is built in a single piece cast iron body. This sump pump requires a sump pit of 10 inch diameter and is most suitable for effluent pumping or basement de watering.
The sum pump has a 10 foot long, quick disconnect power cord while the powder coat finishing, in addition to the cast iron body, makes it durable and long lasting. It requires 115 Volts to operate and has a motor of 1/3 HP. The motor is oil filled and thermally protected. The vertical magnetic float has three switch options and works great for smaller pits as well. This pump has an anti-clogging feature as well. The vortex impeller is designed for proper handling of solids and semi-solids. The pump can take upto ½” inch thick mud granules and the discharge width is 1-1/2”.The handler, screws and rotor shaft is made up of stainless steel.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
- The float switch is automatic and can be adjusted for the three different levels.
- This sump pump can pump up to 50 GPM of water.
- It has a maximum discharge head of 21-foot.
- It can easily handle solids of ½” thickness.
- This pump is energy efficient; it can reduce energy consumption up to 40%. So if you need an energy efficient solution for your water pumping needs then it would definitely be a great choice for your water pumping tasks.
The liberty 257 comes with a warranty of 3 years. And you can rely on the pump for a long period of time without getting into any troubles.
- The single piece cast iron body combined with a 1/3 HP energy efficient motor and vortex impeller makes this pump a great product of liberty pumps.
The Liberty 257 pump has been used by a number of people and it has some great user reviews on Amazon. Some of its key success points are:
- It is easy to install and operate. So you will not have to get into any problems in sorting out its operation. You can easily get it installed and ready to start working.
- It has three levels for VMF (Vertical Magnetic Float Design) float switch and thus easily operates with all sizes of sump pits.
- The motor is energy efficient, but durable and thermally protected.
- It has no operational noise. You will get a soft and easy running sump pump that operates quietly without creating any disturbance or annoying noise.
- The packaging and customer service is great. You will get a perfectly packed pump sent to you in a safe packaging to ensure that it would not get damaged in any way while its sent to you.
All mechanical machines have a few shortcomings and it is always good to keep them in mind before purchasing a product.
- The float differential is smaller as compared to other pumps and thus pumps out lesser water at a time.
- It is a little expensive as compared to other pumps in the market. So you may have to burden your pocket a little extra for this sump pump.
- It is heavy and not much portable.
- The motor oil can leak unexpectedly. It may cause a hazard to the mechanical efficiency of the sump pump.
- And you should be very careful to check out for this issue on and off in order to make it sure that the pump doesn’t lose its lubricant and work perfectly.
- Continuous usage of Liberty sum pump can cause thermal overload relay problems.
3. Basement Watchdog BW1050 Sump Pump
The sump pump should always be the first thing in your mind when the structure of your house is ready and you are looking to equip it with the essential house stuff. If you are moving in a new property on rent or otherwise, then again you have to check whether it has the sump pump or not. This equipment becomes even more important if you are a resident of some heavy rain hit area or your house is situated down of some elevation.
The BW1050 Sump Pump from Basement Watchdog is one of the finest products that you can think about. It has got all the ingredients to look after the potential needs of your house and can also be used on a much bigger scale considering its sturdiness and top performance.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
This product from Basement Watchdog comes with some amazing features. There are a couple of float switches which comes with excellent protective cage considering the nature of the job and the place for their installation.
The ½ HP sump pump system strength wise is one of the best and rated with the industrial strength to serve a variety of purposes in a number of different settings.
The system has a resourceful pump giving continuous, reliable duty which is built to last for a long time.
The pump has the capacity of throwing out 2200 gallons of water per hour, which is more than what you will need in your house even in worse conditions.
The Unique Selling Point of the system is its super efficient Permanent Split Capacitor Motor (PSC) which has got the power and the resources to perform the job at a much higher scale.
The 10 feet long power cord is amazing and useful to make the installation and then control the system with ease.
The system offers vertical discharge of water that gives considerably narrower footprints to fit in the sump pits which are as small as just 7 inches in diameter.
There are some fantastic pros to look for in the system which are described below:
- People want performance from such systems which is guaranteed with this system using its industrial strength PSC motor which is known to last for a long time.
- The chucking capacity for water is great to be at 2200 gallons in an hour. So you can easily rely on this sum pump for a better and full thrust water removal. It has the capacity to work for longer period of time and would not leave you in any issues.
- The sump pumps are installed in the basement which may be difficult to access if they don’t come with some supporting features. This one has a useful dual floating switch system along with a protective cage which makes it very convenient to control. Moreover, the 10 feet long cord further adds to the convenience.
- The system is intelligently designed and despite having a small diameter, the system isn’t vulnerable to clogging of any sort.
- The ½ HP motor is there which is more than enough for any kind of domestic needs. You can use this sump pump for any task that need quick solution for a heavy duty water pumping task.
There are a few concerns in the form of cons which are mentioned below:
- The float switches are not that ideally placed as they should be especially in some of the situations where they seems to be impractical to use. There can be some issue related to the float switches and you might look for other solutions in order to get it to the right position.
- There are a few concerns about the finishing of the system where some screws are found to fall off very easily. So it may feel flimsy for some people who need a firm and sturdy sum pumps that can work without getting its screws lost or fall a part.
4. Zoeller 98-0001 115-Volt 1/2 Horse Power
Zoeller submersible pumps are heavy duty and high performance multipurpose pumps. These are strong built and sturdy and they work great for removing stormy water from basements, patios and driveways. All Zoeller pumps are factory tested and therefore highly dependable. At Zoeller, you will find a variety of sump pumps based on discharge size and volume capacity.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
The Zoeller Flow Mate 98 model is a submersible/effluent pump build of cast iron. The pump casing, motor, switch case, pump base is built of cast iron and to make it even more durable a powder coated epoxy finish is sprayed all over the pump.
The mechanically designed vortex impeller is non clogging and allows passing of ½” inch thick semi solids through the pump. The Zoeller 98 model has a high pumping capacity and with a vertical height of 22 feet, it can pump up to 10 Gallons of water per minute.
This pump requires only 115 volts of electricity and a ½ HP motor. It has a 15” electrical cord and a permanent split capacitor motor. Some of the key features of this pump are discussed below:
- The complete body of the pump is made of cast iron.
- There are no screens or metallic parts at the bottom that could corrode. That’s why you can expect to have a great quality sum pump with a sturdy metallic finish.
- The motor of Zoeller 98 has an automatic reset option with thermal overload protection. This feature helps you to avoid any potential damaging situation when the pump has been working for a long time and may get heat up. Automatic reset option would help keep the pump working in a good condition without getting overheated.
- All the screws, guard, handle, arm and seal assembly are made of stainless steel. The material thus used makes the body good enough to serve you long terms.
- Zoeller 98 comes with a warranty of 1 year. And users can easily rely on this product and use it without any worries.
- It has an automatic float switch which turns on when the water level rises to 9-1/2” and operates until the water reaches down to 3” inches.
- The strong build of this pump makes it durable and long lasting moreover its motor is thermally protected which makes it highly suitable for tough water jobs.
The Zoeller float Mate 98 has great reviews on Amazon , some of the highlighted attributes are:
- It is a robust and Heavy duty sump pump that would be a great one for heavy water removal tasks.
- It has no operational noise. There will be no issues and noise produced while working.
- The ½ HP motor works great and outperforms most of the 3/4HP motor pumps in the market.
- The motor of Zoeller 98 is thermally protected and it would not get heated while working no matter how long you have used it constantly.
Although this pump is great in terms of performance and service, but there are a few drawbacks as well.
- The packaging and customer service is not so good. And you may get the package packed irregularly.
- The switch of the pump is problematic at times and might need to be replaces.
- It is very heavy and not much portable. And due to this, you may have to fix a particular place in order to use. Portability is not a an easy option with this product.
- The motor oil leaks sometimes. It may lead you to lose the oil and can be harmful to the machine and may cause some issues while functioning.
- There is no battery backup.
5. Wayne VIP50 1/2 HP Thermoplastic Portable Electric Water Removal Pump
A division of Scott Fetzer Company, WAYNE water systems is a lead marketing provider for home based water solutions. They have been manufacturing sump pumps for more than 80 years and provide you a security of dry basements, wells and clean, prepared pools. WAYNE sump pumps are famous for their durability and reliability.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
They Wayne VIP 50 is a submersible multipurpose pump used in sump pits, pools and wells. It has a high capacity ½ HP motor and has a pumping volume of 2500 gallons per hour.
The anti clogging feature of WAYNE VIP 50 allows to draws ½ inches thick semi solids and the suction unit at the bottom can easily remove water from up to 1/8th inch of the surface.
The overall body of this pump is corrosion resistant and protected with a thermoplastic layer. A float switch can easily be incorporated with this water pump. Some of the key features of WAYNE VIP 50 are discussed below:
- It is a portable, utility pump used for removing water from basements, boats, water tanks and other water collection spots.
- Its anti clog feature can handle the solid residues in water for a thickness of ½ inch.
- The discharge thickness is 1/4th inch and a 3/4th inch garden hose can also be connected with the pump.
- It is durable and sturdy designed with an easy access handle.
- The WAYNE VIP 50 pump comes with a warranty of 1 year.
- The anti clog feature and extended suction capacity makes the WAYNE VIP 50 a win-win combination. Its multi-purpose functionality and easy adaptability with a float switch makes it all the more useful and practical.
- It is long lasting and economical. Can work up to 5 hours and more without heating up. It would be a great one for those who need a heavy working sump pump to be used on a regular basis. This is an ideal one for building and houses where there is a frequent water collection that needs to be removed quickly in heavy amounts.
- It is easy to install and operate.so, you will not be needing any advanced technical knowledge while installing it or may need a little help to start to operate it without any problem.
- It can be used for various water utilities other than sump pits.
- The WAYNE VIP 50 gives a steady stream of water with a garden hose as well. You can use it easily for your needs.
- The pump leaves ½ inch of water behind which is its biggest selling point perhaps and it will serve you the best in doing the job perfectly leaving no problems for you after being used.
- It doesn’t make any sounds while operating. And it would be a great choice for those who need to get a simple, quiet and smooth working sump pump.
- The quality of garden hose connector is not so good. So you may get into a troublesome situation when you need a well designed hose for your water pumping needs.
- It does not have a built in float switch. This may be a huge drawback and would require your constant supervision in order to use it according to your needs.
- The pumping speed is less as compared to other pumps. So it may need a lot of time to remove water from a huge area.
- The bottom of the pump is rather delicate and can break easily so you will have to be careful.
- There is no battery backup and you would need a constant electric supply to run it properly.
Types of Sump Pumps with reviews
Sump pump have 2 BASIC TYPE : Pedestal and Submersible. Quick compare between them.
Beside that, sump pumps are mostly operated using electricity. They depend upon an electric supply to keep them pumping. Because of this, most pumps have a backup battery with them. If you decide to purchase an electric sump pump that doesn’t come with the backup, make this purchase separately. Pumps that do not operate off of electricity depend upon pressurized water supply from the home for an operation. In the following section we will discuss three major types of pumps with the top 3 products available in each category.
1. Pedestal Sump Pump
A pedestal is commonly used by homeowners. The pump has an electric motor that sits on top of the upright design. On the bottom is a switch that causes the pump to start working once water levels become too high. The following is a list of the 3 major products that are available under this category:
1.1. Flotec FPPM3600D-01/09 1/3 HP Pedestal Sump Pump
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
The system gives good value to the homeowner with a lot of excellent features which are worth mentioning. The system is capable of pumping 340 gallons in an hour. The item is a heavy duty one with a resourceful motor of 1/ 3 horse power which can do the job beyond your expectation.
You will get a 6 feet long grounded cord with a 3 prong plug. Then there is also a screened inlet which is capable with a reasonable 1-1/ 4 discharge. The users will have the peace of mind with the non clogging impeller.
1.2. Do it Pedestal Sump Pump
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
The system is priceless, once you consider the reputation of Wayne manufacturer. It supports 115Volt capacity. It is packed with a resource 1/ 2 horsepower motor. The cast iron built makes it safe from rust and corrosion. The productivity is excellent as it can chuck 3800 gallons of water in an hour with a 10 feet hose. It can ideally fit with a 12 inch diameter of sump pits.
2. Submersible Sump Pump
A submersible is an electric pump that is placed underneath the home underground and can work when it is submerged in water. These pumps operate quietly and efficiently, although they are also usually one of the most expensive types of pumps for you to purchase. The following are the three top products available in this category:
2.1. Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
It is a resourceful system which is preferred by several homeowners for a variety of reasons. The system comes with a sturdy and powerful motor of ¼ horsepower. It gives a total capacity of pumping out 30 gallons of water in a minute. The construction of the unit is of thermoplastic which is corrosion resistant.
The 10 feet cord that comes with the system to give better accessibility to the user. On top of that, the manufacturer also offers an extensive 1 year service and parts warranty which makes the overall deal an excellent one to be considered by the users.
2.2. WAYNE CDU980E 3/4 HP Sump Pump
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
This one is a widely used type and is popular because of its sturdy cast iron built. It is categorized as a full submersible type of a sump pump system. This one is a stainless steel version along with a cast iron pump base. It has a useful suction pump design which eliminates the chance of any clogging and airlock during operation.
The NPT discharge is 1-1/2 and the system has the capacity of removing 4600 gallons in a hour. The maximum strength is of ¾ horse power which is reasonable enough to be considered for doing the pumping job effectively.
2.3. Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
Our Rating: (4.7 / 5)
It has a number of unique features which makes it a popular choice among the users. The Zoellar Mighty Mate comes with a resourceful and sturdy 1/ 3 horsepower motor. The design eliminates the chances of any clogging in the system while operating. The NPT discharge is 1-1/2 and has the ability to pass ½ inch of spherical solids. The switch case is durable which is made from cast iron. It is an automatic option which comes along with activated switch.
3. Portable Sump Pump
Portable are those de-watering systems working underneath your house which are the most economical of all. The homeowner also has the benefit of easy handling and installation of these systems.
The pump in this system is connected with the discharge hose which is first of all lowered in the sump and after that, de-watering can start.
You may choose them to operate in a number of positions such as inclined, horizontal or vertical with no need of a foundation. The following are the top 3 best available portable sump pumps:
3.1. Zoeller 57-0001 M57 Basement High Capacity Sump Pump
Our Rating: (4.7 / 5)
It is a magnificent option for the homeowner which is versatile and can be used just as he wants. The unit has a powder coated finish which makes it corrosion resistant. It doesn’t have any sheet metallic parts which you need to worry about getting rusty.
The system has a lightweight neoprene square ring right in between the pump housing and the motor.It is equipped with a resourceful motor having 0.3 horsepower. The system gives a NPT discharge of 1-1/2 NPT and also has the capacity to pass ½ inch solids. All these features collectively make a very powerful and a useful system.
3.2. WAYNE EEAUP250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Electric Water Removal Pump
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
It is a useful device to install underneath. This one has a microprocessor controlled system for water pumping which makes it an intelligent and a smart device to install in your basement for doing the job of water pumping and chucking it out of your house. It automatically senses the water and only work when it is required.
This one has a sealed thermoplastic which ensure safe operation. The system has a capacity to remove 3000 gallons per hour. The user can also attact a 1-1/4 inch hose for getting optimum performance.
3.3. Zoeller 98-0001
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
It is a balanced option where the manufacturer has catered for a lot of needs. The system has the capability to pass on ½ inch of spherical solid objects. The on point access is 9-1/2 inch and off point is 3 inch. It can chuck 72 gallons of water in a minute.
The shut of head of the sump pump is of 23 feet. It comes along with a 3-wire neoprene cord of 15 feet in length. The deal overall is valuable and worth having a go at for serving your needs without compromising over quality.
The top 10 FAQs about sump pumps
Choosing the best sump pumps isn’t difficult, but it does require that you do your homework to learn about the different types of pumps and how they work. You should also learn more about the different brands and their functions.
It is important that a sump pump be installed in your basement right now if you do not have one already. It doesn’t take a lot of water to cause a grave amount of damage, as some people would like to think. You should protect your home rather than repair it. The amount of damages that can be caused due to basement flooding and other problems is extensive. You can prevent it all with simply a sump pump installed inside of your home.
With a installed, you have one less thing to worry about and a great deal of confidence that your basement is protected. Take a look at the different types out there and you will certainly find the perfect choice for your basement waterproofing needs. It is just that simple.