Table of Contents
- The Comfort of Heated Socks
- 1. What are Heated Socks?
- 2. Do They have any Benefits Else?
- Heated Socks Review
- 1. The Lectra Battery Heated Boot Style Socks from Nordic Gear, Inc. feature a built in the area to keep the heating unit.
- 2. First Gear heated socks are warm and safe for the motorcyclist.
- 3. Heat Factory Merino Wool Pocket Socks.
- 4. Gerbings is a company that uses a special technology to heat their socks.
- 5. Thunderbolt socks
The Comfort of Heated Socks
The comfort of heated socks is not just limited to providing warmth for one’s feet during the cold season. A nice pair of these warm socks can also be a solution when it comes to tired and aching feet, whether it is the cold season or not.
Before moving on to the benefits of and the comfort given by heated socks, perhaps it would be better to take a look at what these really are. When people hear about them, especially those who discover it for the first time, they have questions which are frequently asked by many others. What exactly are heated socks? How do they become heated?
How long do these socks keep warm? Are they safe to us for long periods? Can they only be used indoors for warming, or can heated socks be used for outdoor activities just like regular pairs of socks? These and other questions will now find their answer.
1. What are Heated Socks?
Heated socks are just like most regular socks, except that they are often made largely of the wool and they come with a heating device which is powered by a battery. The heating device or element is integrated into the socks so they are not bulky or visible, and people can still wear these socks comfortably under their shoes.
The heat level given off by the socks is often adjustable so the wearer can change it. The battery usually last for six hours or so, but it is rechargeable.
Since it was mentioned that the heated socks can be worn with shoes, it is clear that they can be worn even for outdoor use such as going to work, taking a walk, or even doing some exercise. While they can be worn at home, perhaps under the blanket while keeping warm during the winter, they can also be worn when stepping out into the chill of the outdoors.
Heated socks are really great for keeping the feet warm and provide extra comfort during cold days and nights.
2. Do They have any Benefits Else?
Providing warmth for one’s feet is the most obvious purpose of heated socks. However, more than providing that comfortable feeling to their wearer, there is also an additional benefit the protection which these socks ensure. Apart from the sensation of having one’s feet warm, heated socks also actually protect people from getting colds, from getting frostbitten, or from the feet getting numb and painful.
People mostly stop at the thought that their feet are nice and warm, but more than that, what they do not realize is that their special socks are giving them an additional layer of protection not just from the cold, but from the painful effects the cold might have. When they take a walk wearing heated socks, the warmth helps the blood circulate in their feet and they experience fewer occasions of cramps, if any.
In the event that a person already has tired and aching feet even before trying out or wearing a pair of heated socks, it does not mean that the heated socks will no longer be able to help. In fact, these socks need to be worn even when the aches have begun already.
Whether a person’s feet are aching due to too much running or sports, or from walking long distances wearing the wrong pair of shoes, a nice pair of heated socks can significantly help in reducing the pain and providing comfort. If the pain in one’s feet is due to the cold weather or simple muscle pain due to an uncomfortable position or exposure to the elements, heated socks can also be of great help.
Again, more than just warming the feet from the cold or the fatigue, there is more that heated socks can do beyond this pleasant sensation. They relax tense muscles, open the pores to release air bubbles between them, and help with the blood circulation. Moreover, even if it is just a person’s feet being warmed, the soothing effect can spread throughout the body. The warmth emanating from the heated socks sends a signal to the rest of the body to unwind and relax.
When the feet are warm and the whole body relaxes, there is an even greater benefit that comes out of it. Because of the whole body’s comfort and relaxation level which was aided by the heated socks, the whole body becomes rejuvenated, and in effect, this helps with a person’s overall health.
In some countries or even in spas, the tired, aching feet of highly stressed people are immersed into a tub of very warm water. The effect is almost instantaneous they feel the aches melting away, and their whole body relaxes because of the heat that begins at their feet and spreads throughout their body.
Just the same, heated socks melt away the pain and envelopes the feet in a soothing warmth that goes up to the rest of the body. It is almost like a dry counterpart of a tub of very warm water.
Heated Socks Review
Several companies make battery-powered heated socks using D batteries. The differences are where the battery is located on the heated socks. The ones with the battery at the top of the sock cuff cause the socks to fall down with the weight of the battery. Some have a connector cable making it so the battery can be positioned anywhere on the sock that would be comfortable for you.
Another problem with the D battery is that they have a limited charge time only about two hours. However, there are some designs that will stay heated for up to 10 hours. Some battery heated socks use rechargeable batteries that can be worn other places like a belt or a pocket. These are the best kind of socks because of the heaviness of the D batteries; however, they are more expensive. The following two brands show you the differences in cost and warmth.
1. The Lectra Battery Heated Boot Style Socks from Nordic Gear, Inc. feature a built in the area to keep the heating unit.
- It is made of 36% virgin wool, 33% winter acrylic, 22% polyester, and 9% nylon. This style has a heated toe and requires one D battery per sock. The good thing about this sock is that it keeps your feet dry for a cost of $20-$30 for each pair you buy.
- The bad thing is that battery operated socks barely get warm and this particular one was reviewed showing that it was made too tight to be comfortable putting it on and off. They have a wire that goes under your toes making them hurt your feet. But at least these heated socks keep your feet dry.
2. First Gear heated socks are warm and safe for the motorcyclist.
- They heat up your toes and are made of micro fleece. They are made using a flat heat technology allowing them to store easily. Compared to the battery heated socks they are warmer and more comfortable with no wires to feel when you walk.They are heated with 9 watts of heat in each sock.
- The only problem with these is you do have to buy a heat controller separately and the socks are already expensive at a cost of $59.95 per pair.
3. Heat Factory Merino Wool Pocket Socks.
- These do not use batteries or electricity, but they do use a pack that you put in the toe to warm your feet. One pack of Heat Factory Foot Warmers is included but you will have to buy extras for later use. The cost of the socks is $26.95 plus the cost of the warmers.
- The socks are made with heavyweight Merino wool blend with a pocket over the toes to hold the foot warmers. They will give you around six hours of warmth. At least these do not have the big D battery to carry around all day! And they are a little cheaper than the flat heat technology ones.
4. Gerbings is a company that uses a special technology to heat their socks.
- It is a Microwire Heat Technology heating system. This heating system lets the heat warm above and below your feet. They are made of a perspiration-wicking 4-way stretch material to allow a snug fit for more warmth.
- Each sock is cut to be specifically for either the left foot or the right foot so they fit and wear better. The wire that heats it with is so thin you barely notice it at all. This company also offers a Lifetime Warranty for these socks. And they only cost a mere $89.95 a pair. So, you can decide at what cost do you want to stay warm?
5. Thunderbolt socks
- They are made to give your feet a continuous direct heat which also helps to stay warm all over. The socks come with an AC adapter to be plugged into a wall socket. They are good for people with poor circulation due to diseases or cold climates.
- On the downside, the costs of staying warm inside with a pair of Thunderbolt socks is $144.95, and just remember if you move from your spot in the house to be sure to unplug the cord.