When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
When it comes to making choices and considerations for a set of best adjustable dumbbells out there in the market, people tend to get confused because of the several dumbbell reviews claiming theirs to be the best.
Let’s put sentiment aside and let us help by revealing to you the best places to find best adjustable dumbbells and various reviews that would guide you to getting the best value for your money when you are to purchase any set of adjustable dumbbells.
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Our Pick for Best Adjustable Dumbbell
- Adjustable Dumbbells Benefits
- Top 5 Best Adjustable Dumbbell Reviews
- 1. Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- 2. Ironmaster 75 lb Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System
- 3. Bayou Fitness 50lb Adjustable Dumbbells
- 4. XMark Fitness Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells
- 5. Cap Barbell 40-Pound Dumbbell Set
- Adjustable Dumbbells Buyer’s Guide
Top 3 Our Pick for Best Adjustable Dumbbell
- >> Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- >> Ironmaster 75 lb Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System
- >> Bayou Fitness 50lb Adjustable Dumbbells
Top 5 Best Adjustable Dumbbell Reviews
1. Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
Bowflex (Nautilus) is one of the original pioneers in the areas of home fitness and they continue to pave the way with the leading-edge and space saving Bowflex Select Tech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells.
This uniquely designed pair of 552 SelectTech Dumbbells are a great answer to your problem of getting a super strength workout at home in a limited amount of space, replacing 15 sets of dumbbells through an ingenious and practical dial design system.
The resistance can be changed from as low as 5 pounds of weight up to as high as 52.5 pounds quickly and easily with the simple turn of a dial.
The weight can be increased by 2.5 – pound increments in the 5 to 25 pound range (also 50 to 52.5 pounds), followed by 5- pound increments between 25 and 50 pounds.
This allows you to make safe and steady strength gains, while you improve your physique in the comfort of your own home.
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds; adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds
- Lets you rapidly switch from one exercise to the next
- Combines 15 sets of weights into one, using a unique dial system
- Comes with illustrations and variations of over 30 exercises
- Eliminates the need for multiple dumbbells cluttering your workout space
- Five-year warranty on weight plates, two-year warranty on parts
- Weight Range: 5 to 52.5 lbs (2.27 to 23.8 kg) for each dumbbell
- Weight Settings: 15
- Weight Settings in pounds: 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, and 52.5 pounds
- Dumbbell Dimensions (Each): 15.75 inches long by 8 inches wide by 9 inches tall
- Weight (Each): 52.5 pounds / 23.8 kg
These 552s possess a good ergonomic grip. One user said the hand grip was best he ever felt.
The majority of users shared the dumbbells were quick and easy to operate/ change weight, making them a time saver during workout.
Dials are easier to adjust than magnetic pins of PowerBlock dumbbells according to one user.
This is important when needing to switch exercises quickly when following programs such as P90X orP90X2.
Construction is sturdy, alleviating any worry of holding them over head, but wouldn’t recommend allowing them to drop to the ground above 5 or 6 inches like you might at a gym.
Starting in 2009 metal tabs replaced plastic tabs to hold weights together. Other users stated that the Select Tech 552s were more aesthetically appealing than many other brands.
One fitness consumer said they felt “like a sleek, expensive, hi-tech gadget” that motivated him towards his fitness goals.
A few users complained the dumbbells were too long and hit each other at top of movements such as chest and shoulder presses, particularly towards the heavier end of the weight range.
Also, according to some, the bowflex dumbbells and disks would occasionally get stuck in the rack, leading to repeated efforts to adjust to a different weight.
One of the best bangs for the buck in terms of versatility and amount of weight you get, but not for hardcore or commercial abuse.
2. Ironmaster 75 lb Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System
The 75-pound Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System is the latest generation of Ironmaster’s adjustable dumbbells, providing the flexibility of 30 pairs of dumbbells in one.
The patented Quick-Lock design allows plates to be added or removed in a flash.
A broad weight range exists from 5 to 75 pounds, changeable at 2.5 pound increments, providing the ability to create numerous weight combinations for either intense strengthening or sculpting and toning routines.
The chrome plated steel handles with knurled grips are comfortable allowing for an unrestricted grip.
These dumbbells have the feel of traditional fixed dumbbells, without the shaking or rattling that often accompanies adjustable dumbbells, allowing your focus to be on what it should – the workout.
The Ironmaster Quick-Lock Dumbbell System also includes a strong compact stand that houses the 75 pound dumbbells and will also hold the 120-pound add-on kit (sold separately).
- Quick-Lock design adjusts from 5-75 lbs in 2 1/2 lb increments in just seconds!
- Super heavy duty construction with welded steel, chrome plated handles.
- System includes two dumbbells at 75 lbs each, Rack and exercise poster.
- The included Stand is very strong and compact. Dimensions are just 14.5″ wide x 19″ deep x 26″ high with rubber leveling feet. The Stand will also hold the 120 lb Add on Kit (kit sold separately).
- Super space efficient design. Takes up less than 2 square feet.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
These dumbbells are very durable and high quality. One user stated the dumbbells and stand were “great” with the quality being “second to none”. Another user felt these were the closest you could come to gym quality adjustable dumbbells.
Other Ironmaster add-ons available to allow easy expansion, such as: kettlebell kit,straight bar kit and EZ curl kit.
Some users stated weights took a little longer to change than they thought it was supposed to , making it a little difficult to do drop sets quickly or incorporate a program such as P90X or P90X2 that requires fast weight changes. A different user acknowledged the same point, but also mentioned “it’s a hell of a lot faster than my old spinlocks”.
The Ironmaster 75 lb. Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System is the Lexus of adjustable dumbbells that can also take the punishment and abuse of an off-road vehicle. Finally, gym quality adjustable dumbbells. At the high end of the price spectrum and worth it.
3. Bayou Fitness 50lb Adjustable Dumbbells
The Bayou Fitness 2 (Two) 50lb Adjustable Dumbbell are a super space saving option to storing multiple sets of dumbbells.
These dumbbells are constructed of heavy duty chrome plated steel. A simple adjustment knob allows the weight to be altered from 10 to 50 pounds, going by 10 pound increments.
If your weightlifting needs consist of a weight range between 5 and 25 pounds, then the Bayou Fitness 2(Two) 25 lb. Adjustable Dumbbells, would be a better fit.
This lighter pair of dumbbells allows you to increase weight by 5 pounds.
- 5 in 1 Adjustable Dumbbell
- Lift From 10 to 50 lbs
- Comes Complete With Custom Storage Trays
- Dumbbell trays can attach directly to optional bench
- Durable Heavy Duty Chrome Plated Steel Construction
- 1 year manufacturer warranty
A good high quality and sturdy product that is easy to use at an affordable price. One user said the grips are comfortable and similar to those one would find in a gym. Good customer service according to another user.
Weight adjustment pin may stick sometimes. One user stated plates sometimes stick to plastic storage trays / bases, but no big deal. Unable to adjust resistance by 5 pounds throughout weight range unless making dumbbell unbalanced, but can compensate a little by grabbing towards the heavier side.
A very solid and cost effective dumbbell set, surpassing some of the better known brands. But, if you need up to 50 pounds of weights and being able to adjust weights by 5 pound increments instead of 10 pounds is important to you (and have dumbbells balanced), then the Bayou 50lb Adjustable Dumbbells may not be the product for you.
4. XMark Fitness Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells
The XMark Adjustable Dumbbells are a versatile pair of dumbbells that make it possible to shave time and money off your workouts by replacing multiple dumbbells in a small space with fast adjustability.
The weight range varies from 5 to 25 pounds in 5 pound icrements with this set; the weight can be quickly changed by moving the adjustment knob to your preferred setting.
The durable plates of theXMark Adjustable Dumbbells are made of heavy duty chrome plated steel, assuring their longevity.
- 5 in 1 adjustable dumbbells
- Lift from 5 to 25 lbs. with each dumbbell
- Comes complete with storage trays
- Smooth grip handles
- Durable heavy duty chrome plated steel construction
- Includes two 25 lb. dumbbells
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
Solid metal internals compared to plastic by a lot of competitors. Attractive design with comfortable smooth handles. One user stated these were “an awesome set of weights” and of the opinion they are “much safer than the bowflex” dumbbells. Work well with P90X program according to a few other users.
The cons are pretty typical for most adjustable dumbbells as a whole: A little bulkier than traditional dumbbells, as well as get stuck in the plastic tray or base occasionally.
A quality cost and space saving pair of adjustable dumbbells that allow for a quick and effective workout at home. Possibly a diamond in the rough compared to bigger names in the field of adjustable dumbbells.
5. Cap Barbell 40-Pound Dumbbell Set
Although the Cap Barbell 40-Pound Dumbbell Set is a bit “old fashion” compared to other dumbbells reviewed on this site, it will effectively meet the majority of your workout needs for a fraction of the cost.
This simple to use and store set comes with four 2.5-pound plates, four 5-pound plates, and two handles and collars permitting a variety of weight combinations.
The sturdy cast iron plates ensure rust free maintenance and can be stored in the included sturdy plastic case.
Comfortable ergonomic grips can be found on the Cap Barbells and threaded rubber trim collars fit securely to the handles.
- 40 pound set includes two handles, four 2.5-pound plates, four 5-pound plates, 4 collars, and a plastic storage case
- Set features ergonomic grips, comfort handles, and rubber trim collars
- Durable cast iron plates have a semi-gloss finish
- Collars are threaded for a secure fit to handles
- Rust and maintenance-free
Good ol’ reliable slide on weights that should outlast you, while giving you the means for a good workout. Most users were very pleased with the set, particularly since it is inexpensive and easy to expand the set with the purchase of more 1 inch diameter plates at a reasonable cost.
Not recommended for programs such as P90X that requires fast changing of weights between exercises. You will likely need to add more weights to the set.
Several users reported the plastic case was a little dented when received. Another common complaint was a gaseous like odor coming from the weights, which may be the anti-corrosion grease that tends to get on your hands.
Many users were able to significantly reduce or eliminate this scent by washing and /or storing the weights. Lastly, a few users felt the 14 inch length of the barbells prevented a few exercises from being performed.
A solid product at a great price that may not require a respirator mask (just kidding) during use because of reported odors coming from weights by some users.