If you have a boat that you love, then a good trolling battery will help you enjoy it even more.
For it to perform well, a trolling motor requires special kinds of deep cycle batteries. These batteries are very different from the batteries used in cars and trucks. The batteries have a short-cycle.
This is fine though, as they are only required to kick start the engine or to power other equipment in urgent situations.
Most of the best trolling motor batteries look similar but they differ significantly in what they offer.
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Best Trolling Motor Batteries to buy
- Top 5 Best Trolling Motor Batteries Reviews
- 1. VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Battery
- 2. VMAXTANKS Vmax857 Tm AGM 12 Volt 35AH Group U1 Marine Deep Cycle Hi Battery
- 3. 12V 55Ah Power Boat Pontoon Electric Trolling Motor Deep Cycle Battery
- 4. MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center
- 5. 12V 100Ah Battery for Minn Kota, Minnkota, Cobra, Sevylor other trolling motor
- Best Trolling motor battery buying guide
- 1. The type of battery you need
- 2. Your budget
- 3. The battery’s amperage hour rating
- 4. Quick Tick Guide for Purchase
Top 3 Best Trolling Motor Batteries to buy
Here is a list of the best trolling motor battery you can consider when shopping today:
Top 5 Best Trolling Motor Batteries Reviews
1. VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Battery
Our Rating: (4.9 / 5)
This is a group 27 deep cycle heavy duty marine battery chargers. It is maintenance free.
It comes with the battery’s carrying handles included in the package.
This battery features an Electrolyte Suspension system VMAX which includes Absorbed Glass Matt.
There are no contaminants for you to worry about. Its grids are heavy duty, which guarantees performance and long life service.
It is able to fit any group 27 battery box; therefore, you will not have a problem moving it from one place to the other.
This is a battery whose plates have been made in the most unique physical and chemical structure.
It has undergone a special manufacturing and treatment processes, which makes them amongst the best you can get in the market.
There are certain attributes of this battery that stand out, the first being that it is much more powerful than conventional batteries.
In addition, you will be amazed by how long it will last, and how much it can haul.
- It is highly reliable due to long lasting power.
- It is a maintenance free battery.
- It is very strong and durable.
- Great performance guaranteed.
- It has 100amp hours, meaning it can go for many hours on both low and high speed.
- Long life of usage which is a great saving for your money.
- The battery is a bit heavy therefore may not be easy to load and unload
2. VMAXTANKS Vmax857 Tm AGM 12 Volt 35AH Group U1 Marine Deep Cycle Hi Battery
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
This is a popular battery that is reliable and heavy duty.
It also includes AGM and SKA technology. It measures 7.7 by 5 by 6.1 inches, making it a small size that is highly convenient for ease of use.
You can get it as a battery kit, with all the accessories needed to power your trolling motor.
Its heavy duty grids ensure that it is strong, has a high performance guarantee and that is long lasting.
If you want to get the most out of this battery, make sure that you get a charger for it.
The biggest advantage of this batters is that there is no need to worry about maintenance.
- It offers a maintenance free operation.
- It is small in size and takes up minimal space.
- It is light in weight and easy to load and unload.
- It has a long life guarantee, which is a great saving for your money.
- This battery does not hold a charge for long. You need to have a charger handy.
3. 12V 55Ah Power Boat Pontoon Electric Trolling Motor Deep Cycle Battery
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
This is a 12V 55AH sealed Lead Acid rechargeable battery that is usually maintenance free.
It measures 9.02 by 5.43 by 9.13 inches.
It is good for its high discharge rate, it’s wide operating temperatures, long life and deep discharge recover.
It can be mounted in any position because it does not spill and it is able to resist shocks and vibrations.
This battery is flexible, especially when facing the elements.
It works well in low and high temperatures.
You can trust in the quality of this battery.
It features a 30-day refund policy as well as one full year warranty.
- It is able to perform highly both in high and low temperatures, therefore suitable for use any time you want to go out on your boat
- Exceptional performance expected at all times because of its strength and durability
- It is highly reliable both in performance and long life
- It is the best choice and worth every coin you spend on it
- The battery is on the heavy side, therefore could be difficult to load and offload
- It is big in size; therefore, you might need a larger space to keep it.
4. MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
This is a motor center that is most ideal for use in small boats that lack a battery compartment.
You get easy access to battery terminals that will be used to connect leads.
The battery is built in, and it shows the current state of charge.
This helps you make the most of the space that you have on your boat.
In this motor power center, you can fit a group of up to 27 size batteries, from 24.
It is the best to use in case you are using a heavy duty battery that you need to keep moving from place to place.
Even though it is packing an enormous amount of power, it is incredibly lightweight.
This makes it easy for you to move around.
- This is a very strong box, made of great quality plastic. This contributes to its durability.
- It is light in weight and its size makes it easy to carry, to load and offload
- Its built-in circuit breaker ensures that you are absolutely safe
- It has everything you need for emergency backup power
- You are able to tell how much charge is left to make wise decisions before your battery runs out of charge
- You are able to get a pair of 12-volt accessory plugs and circuit breakers that can be reset manually.
- It is just a case; the battery is not included
- For anyone working on a tight budget, it may not be the best choice
5. 12V 100Ah Battery for Minn Kota, Minnkota, Cobra, Sevylor other trolling motor
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
This is a rechargeable trolling motor battery that can be mounted in any position because it is spillage-free and safe.
It is able to resist shock and vibration and it comes with a 1 year guarantee. It is also maintenance free and you can be assured of its spill proof ability.
It measures 12.17 by 6.61 by 9.16 inches, weighing 63.93 lbs.
It has been made from an absorbent glass Mat technology, which gives the battery its high performance.
Its safety is a guarantee as it is valve regulated and also because of its spill proof construction.
There is also the one-year warranty which is a testament of its quality.
You can make use of this battery in all conditions, even those that seem harsh.
- Its safety is guaranteed because it is highly sealed. It can be mounted in any space without worrying about spillages
- It is durable and an excellent investment.
- It is long lasting meaning you can be out on your boat for hours.
- It is maintenance free.
- It is highly reliable.
- It is not light in weight therefore may not be easy to load and unload
Best Trolling motor battery buying guide
To get the best choice of a trolling motor battery, there are some factors that you need to keep in mind. These include the following:
1. The type of battery you need
Basically, there are two main types of deep cycle 12-volt batteries that are best to use with trolling motors and these are: Lead Acid Wet-Cell and AGM batteries.
Deep Cycle batteries are designed to discharge only a small amount of current over a long period of time.
They require frequent recharging for long time performance.
The lead-acid batteries are the most common types.
They are designed in such a manner than they are able to handle constant draining and frequent recharging that is common with use of trolling motors. They are also the most affordable option.
With heavy usage, they are able to last for up to two years because of their standard make.
The reason why you may reconsider getting one is they require maintenance for time to time for the best performance.
They can also spill and vibrate, which are attributes that also affect their wear and tear.
AGM batteries on the other hand are always sealed completely, and they are meant to last longer on charge and also in life.
They are more expensive when compared to the lead-acid batteries, but this is all for the best because they can serve you up to four years.
If you are looking for a trolling motor battery that can offer the best performance and last for a long time, the AGM batteries are the right choice to make.
When purchasing these batteries, a tight budget should not be concerned.
Consider these an investment as you will be spending quite a bit to get them.
Their main advantage is that they are usually maintenance free.
2. Your budget
Your budget will be affected by the type of battery that you choose. If money is no object, consider interstate marine batteries. These are long lasting, highly reliable and absolutely safe.
3. The battery’s amperage hour rating
Be sure that you are taking home a battery that will last long on a single charge, for both high speed and low speed.
You need a battery that you can rely on for as long as you will be out on your boat.
A battery with a 115-amp hour rating will last longer than one with a 100-amp hour rating.
The best you can get from a trolling motor is a battery with at least a 100 amp hour rating or a group 27 rating.
Good thing is that these two rating are easy to get and they can guarantee a long time performance to ensure that you are enjoying your stay in the marine for as long as you need to.
4. Quick Tick Guide for Purchase
When you are looking to purchase your next trolling motor battery, here is a list that you can quickly tick off to ensure that you get the best.
- A deep cycle needs to be a priority, and it should have a high quality design.
- Consider the durability, and look for batteries that have an extended lifespan.
- The rate of discharge should be constant.
- Overall performance should not be based on using too much power. Make sure that the battery is both effective and efficient.
- How heavy is your boat? This will determine the weight of the battery that you purchase.
- The elements and weather conditions that you need to deal with, especially if you are going to be shopping.
- What type of fishing you intend to do.
- The level of thrust that is on your boat.
When you consider all of these points, and maximize on each one when you are getting your battery, you are sure to have a trolling motor battery that will last you no less than four years. Just make sure that you get the original.
When it comes to a trolling motor, deep-cycle batteries are the best options to choose because of guaranteed performance.
This is because they are designed to discharge only a small amount of current for the length of time you will be out there with your boat.
With a variety of good deep-cycle batteries in the market today, it is not easy to make the best choice for your trolling motor needs.
This guide of the top 5 batteries will help you make the best choice from all the options that are available on the market.
Also see: Best Trolling Motors For Kayaks