When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
If you own a kayak, then you probably already know that one of the most useful things that you can have is a trolling motor.
If you do not want to paddle when coming back to shore, than a trolling motor is a must have.
In addition, if you have any injuries or ailments that could prevent you paddling, then having a trolling motor would help.
It would allow you to still enjoy kayaking without having to worry about how you are going to get around once you are on the water.
In this review, you shall see some of the best trolling motors for kayaks.
You will also get a short guide to some of the most important things to look for when you are buying a kayak.
Top 3 Best Trolling Motor For Kayak on the market
Best Trolling Motor For Kayak Reviews
1. Newport Vessels NV-Series 36 lb. Thrust Saltwater Transom Mounted Electric Trolling Motor
This is one of the best trolling motors you will find today.
It is made from some of the highest quality materials, and has been specially designed to be reliable and durable.
It has an adjustable thirty inch shaft for greater efficiency and performance.
The motor is built to fit all types of boats including kayaks, dinghies, fishing boats and inflatables.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
The motor comes with an eight speed control system that has five forward and three reverse settings.
However, it can be a little tricky to switch between the forward and reverse settings.
As much as the motor can be used in saltwater, it should be washed thoroughly after it has been used.
This will help to reduce the chances of rust, and increase the life of the motor.
- Comes with an eight speed control system with five forward and three reverse capabilities
- Has a thirty inch shaft for better performance
- Suitable for bot saltwater and freshwater
- High speed accelerator
- Does not come with its own battery
- The motor is not sealed so it is prone to water damage
- The manual is a little hard to read
2. Minn Kota Endura C2 30 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
Minn Kota makes some of the best motors you can buy, and this motor is proof of their quality.
This high powered transom mounted motor is perfect for fishing trips, and comes with a 12-volt motor.
The motor has five forward speeds and three reverse speeds and a thrust level of 30 for better acceleration.
The 30 inch high-yield composite shaft is harder than steel. This means that you can enjoy your fishing trips knowing that your motor shaft will not break or corrode.
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
However, the best thing about this motor is the 6 inch telescoping handle, which helps give you finer control when steering.
That, coupled with the tilt twist tiller helps to give you greater speed and control when you are in the water.
In addition, its light weight makes it easy to mount on your kayak.
This means that you will be able to get on the water quicker. It also means that you will not have to worry about lugging around a big, heavy motor.
- Motor comes with 2 year warranty
- Quiet and powerful motor does not spook fish
- 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds for greater control
- Telescoping handle for finer control when steering
- Composite shaft comes with lifetime warranty
- Reverse gears are not very strong
- There have been complaints about overheating
- The vibration is a little excessive
- Only suitable for freshwater use
3. MotorGuideVariMAX 12-Volt Saltwater Hand/Transom Trolling Motor
The VariMAX series of trolling motors is one of the most popular motors that you can get right not.
This beautiful trolling motor is ideal for both saltwater and freshwater use. It is made with corrosion resistant materials to ensure that it is durable and resistant to rust.
The motor has a 36 inch shaft, which means that it sits a little higher than other motors.
This means that it may be a little difficult for shorter people to use, though this should not be a problem for average to tall users.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
The motor is one of the most efficient you can find today, and promises to give you three times more battery life. This means that you can choose to use a smaller battery, or just stay out on the water longer.
- Digital Variable Speed Adjustments helps to reduce amperage draw, giving you better battery life
- Can be used in both freshwater and saltwater
- Made with corrosion-resistant components for greater durability
- Comes with a BluVis display that shows you speed, direction and battery voltage
- It is prone to water damage
- It is a little more expensive than other motors
4. Newport Vessels NV-Series 46 lb. Thrust Saltwater Transom Mounted Electric Trolling Motor
This is one of the most popular trolling motors you can buy right now.
This motor is one of the most powerful motors that you will find, producing 46 lb. of thrust.
This makes it perfect for almost any situation, and it can be used in a variety of vessels, including kayaks, dinghies, and small fishing boats.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
The power provided by the motor makes it perfect for both saltwater and freshwater use.
In addition, the high quality materials that are used to make it mean that the motor is durable and resistant to rust.
The motor also has an 8 speed control system that has 5 forward and three reverse speeds for better control.
The 30 inch shaft is made out of composite fiberglass for increased durability.
- 8 speed control system for greater control
- 46 lb thrust makes this more powerful than a lot of the competition
- 5 point LED battery meter makes it easier to see how much power you have remaining
- Composite fiberglass shaft for added durability
- Can be used on a wide range of watercraft
- Can be used on both freshwater and saltwater
- Easy to use
- Can be a little too loud for some users
- LED lights can be a bit too bright, especially at night
- Can be a little complicated to mount onto your kayak
5. Newport Vessels X-Series 55 lb. Thrust Saltwater Transom Mounted Electric Trolling Motor
This is one of the most powerful trolling motors you will ever find.
This is one of the best motors you intend to use the motor in both saltwater and freshwater.
The 55 lbs of thrust provided by the motor are more than enough to help you get through even the strongest wind and currents.
In addition, the motor is made from stainless steel, making it durable and rust resistant. The shaft is 30 degree adjustable with a 6 inch telescoping handle.
Our Rating: (4.7 / 5)
The 8 speed motor has 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds, giving you finer control of the boat.
In addition, it has one of the largest shafts you can find, 36 inches.
This makes it a little tricky for shorter people to use, but average to taller people will have no problem.
The best thing about this is that it fits in a wide range of watercraft including boats, kayaks and canoes.
- Extremely powerful
- Composite fiberglass shaft increases durability and strength
- 6-inch telescoping handle
- Stainless steel makes it rust proof and durable
- Suitable for both freshwater and saltwater use
- Suitable for larger vessels like boats and big kayaks
- Has 8 speeds
- Made with high quality materials
- A little more expensive than other motors
- It does not come with its own batteries
Best Trolling Motor for Kayak Buying Guide
If you are looking for the best trolling motor for kayak, look no further than the motors listed above.
They are all durable, high quality motors that offer superior performance and power.
Not only will they save you from paddling, they may also help to reveal hidden fishing spots that you could not access before.
If you choose any of the motors in this review, you will be making an investment that you will not regret.