When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
The auto-drip coffee maker is a huge time saver, the set and forgets no fuss system entices many families and businesses. Even though it may not produce the best coffee and is often ridiculed by coffee snobs, no one can deny its simplicity. To ensure each cup of coffee you make tastes great you really need to ensure each process is done correctly. This includes:
- Choosing the right coffee beans.
- The fineness of the coffee grind.
- Using filtered water.
- Brewing your coffee at the right temperature.
Read more about Cuisinart self cleaning coffee maker instruction HERE!
Picking the best coffee bean for your coffee maker
It’s always recommended to buy fresh whole coffee beans instead of ground. Ground coffee goes stale much sooner than whole beans. If you have to buy your coffee from the grocery store make sure you check the roasting date to ensure you get as close to fresh as possible. If you are fortunate enough to have a local roaster then it’s a good idea to ask them what they recommend for an auto-drip coffee maker.
The amount of coffee to use in a drip feed coffee maker
This is going to depend on how much coffee you would like to make and how strong you like your coffee. As each coffee maker varies you will simply have to perform a few test runs and tune the ratio to your liking. To begin with, check out the manual that came with your coffee maker if it doesn’t provide a ratio. I recommend starting with 2 tablespoons for every 6 ounces of water. Also, keep in mind that some coffee blends may require more or less water than others so make sure you check the packaging.
How fine to grind the coffee
Different methods of making coffee require different coffee grind sizes. For a drip coffee maker with a flat bottom filter, a medium grind is recommended. If your coffee maker has a cone shaped filter then a medium-fine grind should be used. For more information on the size of the grind that should be used when brewing coffee checks out the tables on this site.
How to make the coffee with a drip feed coffee maker
- Place a coffee filter in the filter basket. In most cases, your coffee maker will come with a mesh filter which is usually the easiest and best choice.
- Measure out the coffee and place it in the filter.
- Pour hot water (205 degrees F) into the coffee maker. There is a compartment where the water should be poured into, it should not be poured into the filter.
- Plug in your coffee maker and switch it on. Depending on your coffee maker it may start automatically after plugging it in.
- Wait for your coffee to finish brewing. Once done make sure you remove your filter and dispose of the coffee grounds. If using a mesh filter you should wash it ASAP to keep it clean.
Are you looking for the best cone filter drip coffee maker? Click this link to read more!
Clean your coffee maker on a regular basis
For an optimal brew, your coffee maker must be clean. If your coffee maker starts to smell or you notice sediment, then you must clean your coffee maker. Or if you can’t remember the last time you cleaned it then it’s probably a good idea to do so. Unclean coffee makers can leave a horrible taste to your coffee.