When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Sitting in an office the whole day can leave workers with stiff necks and strained backs. This prevents them from working as effectively as they should on a normal working day. Comfort is important if you have to complete your tasks on time every day without worrying about straining any part of your body. You should also be able to work without experiencing any pain or discomfort. This is the reason why everyone needs a recliner. On a reclining office chair, you can lie back comfortably and also stretch a bit while sitting. Furthermore, there are in built features that will also support your arms and legs. All these improve help your blood flow and overall health.
What is a reclining office chair?
A reclining office chair is basically an armchair or even a sofa which can recline whenever you lower its back or raise it to the front. These chairs come with a backrest that can be tilted to the back. Some come with a footrest too, which can be extended using a lever that is on the side of the chair. With it, you can take short breaks in between your tasks to rest so as to help you regain your focus for work.
Reclining office chair benefits
A reclining office chair comes with tons of benefits to the user which include the following:
- Reduced neck pains: Neck pains are a serious issue that many people experience after sitting for prolonged periods of time on a normal chair. Recliners have adjustable headrests, which can be used to reduce any strain on the neck. They can also help you maintain good posture.
- You no longer strain your arms and shoulders on a reclining office chair. These chairs come with armrests that can be adjusted to your liking, sequentially giving your arms and shoulders the much rest they need while you are working. These armrests can also help you maintain your balance when sitting on a chair.
- They bring excellent support for your knees, calves and feet. They come with footrests which can be extended whenever you recline the seat. This makes it easier for you to stretch out your body when you feel that your muscles are starting to tense up.
- On a recliner, you will always feel more relaxed even when you are under pressure and doing an incredible amount of work. Better comfort leads to higher productivity as well as a better attitude.
Top 5 Best Reclining Office ChairReviews
1. Herman Miller Embody Chair- Graphite Frame/Black Balance Textile
This chair has been designed to enhance your health, help improve your focus and also provide you with ergonomic support. It is especially effective if you sit for more than 4 hours in a day every day. Its seat and backrest have been made in such a manner that they respond to the movements of the body and also work towards preventing heat buildup. Its black outer layer is made of 100% polyester textile, to provide balance and comfort as you sit. It provides back support all the way from the base of the spine, and it has an integrated sacral support. It features an amazing back fit adjustment which allows the backrest to align perfectly with the natural curve of the spine.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
- It is made in a health-positive design that may improve six cardiopulmonary functions including the resting heart rate.
- There is no pressure when sitting in this chair as it has layers of support. The support works to distribute pressure. Its narrow backrest also encourages movement, giving no room for pressure to build up.
- Its backrest can turn with ease in order to accommodate different types of spines’ natural curve.
- You can work perfectly on this chair. Its ability to tilt lets you pick any position that feels comfortable with you, and in any position, you will be fully supported and balanced.
- You might have to pay a little more for its comfort.
2. Steelcase Gesture Chair, Graphite
This particular recliner was created with the modern worked in mind. With so many people working on their computers and laptops every day, the chair was designed to support interactions with the technologies of today. The chair offers support to a wider range of postures as well as user sizes. It has 3D LiverBack Feature, which allows it to automatically adjust in order to mimic the natural movement of the spine. It also comes with a system of synchronized interfaces, which are able to offer support to different postures through the back, the seat and the arms of the user.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
- It has a 360 arm, which moves just like the human arm so as to support the user’s arms in any position. With many people using more than three device types everyday to interact with technology, the chair is able to support the different postures and movements as they switch between these devices.
- It has two intuitive adjustments controls, which are very easy to use and they respond automatically to the movements of the user. You get to enjoy great support even in diverse sitting positions.
- It has air pockets that have been carefully placed beneath the seat’s foam, which gives the users consistent support and comfort however different they are in size.
- Its curved position is not comfortable for taller individuals.
3. Homelegance 8548BRW-1 Swivel Reclining Chair
This one radiates sophistication and power, therefore, it is a perfect addition to your living space or work space. It is upholstered in easy-to-clean bonded leather as well as faux/vinyl leather. Its backseat and wing-back styled arms have been padded in high quality foam to enhance the comfort of the user. It’s a 360 degrees swivel hair, which can give you access to anything around you without your necessarily having to rise up from the chair. Its base is made of round oversize metal, which gives the chair additional stability. It has an easy to use knock adjusting reclining mechanism.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- It is made in perfect quality leather that feels nice to the touch and is strong enough to last for a very long time.
- This chair feels solid and strong.
- It is stable, making it easy for a person of any size to enjoy using this seat.
- Its premium foam is meant to give you great comfort for a long time.
- Its great looks are an incredible addition to your living or working space.
- It requires a little assembly before use, though it can be easy and quick if you follow the instructions well.
- It is small for taller users; many have complained of discomfort especially when they want to stretch their legs to rest.
4. ANCHEER Ergonomic Office Chair
Made of high density and strong polyester mesh material, this is a perfect choice of office and computer chair. This is the kind of chair that will give you a cool and breathable feeling whenever you are working for longer hours. It comes in a scooped design, which ensures that you are sitting centrally in order to gain the desired support from its backseat, which has been designed in the same shape. Its front edge is a waterfall front to ensure minimum pressure on your legs for users who sit for long periods of time. The seat is well cushioned for maximum comfort and it is upholstered in a very strong breathable mesh fabric, which can last for a very long time.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
- Its breathable mesh fabric dispels any body heat that could build up while you are working, leaving you more comfortable and cool for a long time. It enhances user support and comfort too.
- Its solid and strong construction makes it feel comfortable and stable. This is what gives the chair its durability.
- It is extremely comfortable even if you sit on it for more than 4 hours without a break. Its seat is well cushioned and its backrest can be adjusted easily to your liking.
- Not very good for taller individuals even when it gets to its highest point.
5. Serta Executive Office Chair, Microfiber, Light Beige, 43670
This one comes from a brand that is popular in quality, style and comfort; therefore you can count on it for a host of great features. Its seat has been upholstered in a light beige microfiber that is soft but very durable to last the user for a long time.
The chair has a soft-pillowed headrest plus plush body pillows that have been layered on the body of the chair to offer your body with the kind of seating experience that is hard to get anywhere. Its lumbar is contoured in order to provide exceptional support for the lower back.
Its arms are sculptured, with pillow soft pads to provided additional comfort to the hands, wrists and the forearm. The waterfall design on the seat is meant to lessen the pressure on the back of your legs, as well as improve circulation and reduce fatigue so you can focus more on whatever you are working on.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- The chair looks great; a perfecta addition to your office or living area
- It is very easy to assemble before use
- Its soft microfiber materials provides warmth but does not heat up, therefore you can sit comfortably for hours
- Its waterfall design keeps your legs comfortable
- The height of the seat can be adjusted by one simple flick of a lever using the pneumatic gas lift. It can therefore be used on taller desks
- It is not very durable
Reclining Office Chair Buying Guide
If you sit behind your desk for hours every day, you need a comfortable office chair. It should fit your work environment as well as your body. It is important to know about the pains and strains that are associated with sitting behind a desk every day, and the effect that these have on your overall health. This is especially if you sit at the wrong type of chair. These pains may include headaches, back pains, sore shoulders and arms and leg fatigue. When experiencing these pains, your concentration levels will be affected, as well as your productivity. To avoid all these, you need a chair that will help you enjoy working for longer hours. Here is a detailed reclining office chair buying guide to help you make the right choice:
- The back support: Go for a recliner whose back rests provide lumbar support. The best choice is a contoured backrest which has been shaped to match the natural curve of your spine. It should be adjustable too to provide the comfort and support that your back needs. The advantage in using an office chair that reclines to the back is that you are able to transfer some of your upper body weight to the backrest. The seat should have adjustable armrests too, to accommodate people of different sizes.
- The seat support: The kind of seat support you will get matters considerably. You need a seat that can be adjusted in many ways. This is what will allow your body to shift positions throughout the day. The seat height should be adjustable too, so that different people of different heights can use the chair with ease. This helps if you are using the chair on different desks of different heights. Choose a seat that feels firm enough so as to support your weight evenly. The seat should be soft enough too, in order to fit your form. Seats with waterfall deigns are the best to go for as they improve circulation to your lower legs, eliminating chances of getting leg fatigue.
- The position and height: The chair you choose should support your height and the different positions your body will take throughout the day. Any change in position should not affect your ability to be comfortable while working. This also means that you should be able to adjust it up and down with ease, as well as to lean back for more relaxation when you need to stretch out your body.
- The seat construction: The materials that have been used in the construction of the chair are important to consider. A chair with a mesh material on the seat and back allows for free circulation of air. This is what will keep you cool throughout the day. Chairs with molded foam construction are a better choice too, as they contour to the shape of your body. You can therefore comfortably sit in any position. Choose a chair that has been made in the best quality leather for durability purposes.
Reclining Office Chair Using Guide
A reclining office chair should be as comfortable as possible for it to serve its purpose. Only a few adjustments should be needed in order to make a once uncomfortable chair to a super comfortable one. The first change that you will need to make is the pressure that is required to recline the back of the chair. This is what is called the recliner tension. It refers to how easily the backrest of the chair leans backwards.
Here are the best ways to make use of your reclining office chair for maximum comfort:
To adjust the recliner tension:
- Test how the backrest feels by sitting on the chair and leaning backwards. If it feels like there is no give, there is need to decrease the recliner tension. This should be done if you are petite so that you use less strength to recline the seat. If it leans too far back for your comfort and you feel as though you might just fall over, then you need to increase the tension. This should be done for heavier and taller individuals and those people who need a firmer back support.
Adjust the tilt of the chair:
- If you want to tilt the chair forward, make sure that your back is in an upright position and that the footrest is closed. Carefully tilt the whole chair forward in order to expose the underside of the recliner. Ensure that it is at the front of its armrests and the top of its back. Use both of your hands to adjust the tension.
How to use the adjustment mechanism:
- Most recliners have an adjustment mechanism which can be used to adjust the tension of the chair. Those that have such a mechanism have a pair of thumb wheels or wing nuts below the seat. Turn these clockwise in order to increase the tension of the reclining chair. Turn them counterclockwise to decrease its tension. This should be done easily using your fingers. Work on small increments in order to keep the tension of the chair even throughout, and to also avoid making a sudden and drastic change that may make the chair uncomfortable.
Reclining chair maintenance tips
The way that you maintain the chair will largely depend on the type of material that the chair has been made of. Here are some tips for the most common types available.
If it is a leather reclining office chair:
- You should not expose it to the sun directly. The sunlight can damage the leather, making it easily broken. This will affect the overall durability of your chair, making it necessary to replace it earlier than expected.
- You should clean your chair as often as you can, that is at least twice a week. To clean it well, dust it through using a cloth or a vacuum cleaner. In case of any spillage on your chair, use a dry cloth to rinse off the affected area. Do not rub the cloth against the cover of the chair as this could damage it.
- You can easily maintain the shine of your chair for a very long time using a leather conditioner. This can be applied on the chair at least once every month.
- Cover your reclining office chair with a cloth if it is not being used for some time. This way, it will not absorb any dust, which will keep it clean and dust free.
Microfiber reclining chairs are easier to keep clean when compared to the leather ones.
- You can easily clean it using a clean cloth. Do this for any spilt liquid on the cover too. You can rub the cloth on the surface of the chair covering to rinse the spillage completely off your chair.
- You can also use cleaners with water in them. Ensure that you cover the chair whenever it is not in use for a long time so as to keep it dust free.
The mechanical parts of reclining chairs need proper care and maintenance too.
- Oil the surface of the mechanical parts of the chair once in a while. In case of any cracking sound while you are reclining the chair, you should oil all the parts of the chair.
- Have the chair checked by a proper repairer once in a while to ensure that it is not damaged. This is all for the safety of its users.
Reclining office chairs are quickly becoming an important feature in every office. This is in order to promote comfort in the workplace, and thus increase productivity. Furthermore, there are people who use the chairs to achieve relief from back pains and other aches while they are in the workplace. For others, these chairs act as a preventive measure to avoid aches and pains. Considering that the bulk of one’s day is spent at the workplace, and likely sitting at a desk, the right chair may be all that is needed to make work more pleasant.
The Steelcase gesture Chair is an exceptional choice to make if you are the kind of person who uses different types of devices to interact with the technology. It is exceptional in that it offers support for a wider range of technologies, postures as well as user body sizes. Its main feature is the 3D LeverBack feature, which allows the chair to adjust automatically in order to imitate the movement of the spine as the user switches from one device to the other. The chair is able to contour to the back of the user in all the postures the user will take throughout the day.